How to 'trial' pets? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Exotic Mammals

Old 26-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Egg
Default How to 'trial' pets?

No matter how much research you do, you can never fully be prepared for pets unless you come into contact with them. Especially exotics.
So how on earth do you do that if no one you know has the particular animal you are looking to own?
Help pls. TT-TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Premier Citizen

Hello !

Just out of interest, which animal are you thinking of keeping?

Have you found somebody that breeds the animal?
(Where will you get the animal from if not?)

Depending on the breeder, they may let you go to visit the animals they breed. This would be good as you can ask them questions and possibly interact with the animal.
Old 27-02-2018, 11:19 PM
Postaholic Member

Youtube videos are a good way to go from great channels. They'll usually contain both good and bad aspects. So for example a parrot channel will have the parrot playing etcetera but also them screaming in a temper tantrum.
Demonique and feorag like this.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Egg

Thank you for the responses! ?? I'm thinking about a Sugar Gliders so joined a few forums and looked them up on YouTube. Still got much to learn before I possibly bring them home for summer and onwards though.
A breeder would probably be a good option now that I think more about it. Seeing the parents and how they are to handle may be a good representation of what their offspring and possibly my pets may be like. Thank you, I'll see if there are any breeders which would allow me to do so. ?
Old 28-02-2018, 11:48 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushytailed View Post
Thank you for the responses! ?? I'm thinking about a Sugar Gliders so joined a few forums and looked them up on YouTube. Still got much to learn before I possibly bring them home for summer and onwards though.
A breeder would probably be a good option now that I think more about it. Seeing the parents and how they are to handle may be a good representation of what their offspring and possibly my pets may be like. Thank you, I'll see if there are any breeders which would allow me to do so. ?
Aw, I love sugar gliders (don't have any of my own).

I am sure a good breeder would allow you to go and check out their gliders and see their set ups, have a handle and what not.

When I was first looking at getting a hedgehog, there was a breeder not too far from me. She let me go to her house and handle all of her hedgehogs and just have a general chat about what they require etc etc

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Posting Deity

Any breeder worth their salt would welcome you to their house to meet their animals, so they know you are seriously doing your research.

I'd go down that route to try and meet the animals you want and find out first hand what they are really like as pets, wart and all!
Twiglet and MrJsk like this.

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/