UK Skunk Breeders - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Exotic Mammals

Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Premier Citizen
Default UK Skunk Breeders

Just thought I would raise a concern as this is the best place to grab a lot of people with related skunks.

Due to the fact that so many of the skunks sold last year come from the same breeder (apparently he bred somewhere in the region of 40 - 60) , there are a bunch of us with a skunk from this gene pool.

I just wondered, as no-one has had time or will to start a stud book of some kind, how will everyone stop these skunks being bred together?

It wouldnt take long for the skunks in the UK to get all fooked up and interbred, especially if the same breeder turns out the same amount this year.

I must say, the only matings I know of that are going on are definitely unrelated ones so it looks ok so far.

However, I know that personally, if I didn't have an unrelated male and wanted to borrow one, all the local males are related to my Koko within over 100 miles.

What does everyone else think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Postaholic Member

Personally?

A stud book is a fantastic idea, but probably a long and thankless task...
Hopefully someone out there is passionate enough about skunks to devote the time to it.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Personally?

A stud book is a fantastic idea, but probably a long and thankless task...
Hopefully someone out there is passionate enough about skunks to devote the time to it.
yup, i think inbreeding skunks would cause a stink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to FoxyMumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljules View Post
yup, i think inbreeding skunks would cause a stink
Lmao, I knew someone would say it...

But Id have to agree with ally that it would possibly be a thankless job but it needs to be done, I know I dont own a skunkie yet but would love to one day and I would like to know from what background it is from and if there was info on his/her gene pool it would definatly be a bonus

Proud Member Of K.M.A.C I bow to our leader!
I Ramble on a lot in posts... Just ignore me!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned
Send a message via Skype™ to Fixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouchie View Post
Just thought I would raise a concern as this is the best place to grab a lot of people with related skunks.

Due to the fact that so many of the skunks sold last year come from the same breeder (apparently he bred somewhere in the region of 40 - 60) , there are a bunch of us with a skunk from this gene pool.

I just wondered, as no-one has had time or will to start a stud book of some kind, how will everyone stop these skunks being bred together?

It wouldnt take long for the skunks in the UK to get all fooked up and interbred, especially if the same breeder turns out the same amount this year.

I must say, the only matings I know of that are going on are definitely unrelated ones so it looks ok so far.

However, I know that personally, if I didn't have an unrelated male and wanted to borrow one, all the local males are related to my Koko within over 100 miles.

What does everyone else think?

I quite agree Pouchie. Sadly there will be those out there that think inter-breeding is OK to do, more motivated by money (and the allure of baby skunks) than the well being of any potential offspring. I know a certain amount of inbreeding is seen as acceptable in reptiles but mammalian physiology is a lot different and any inbreeding could lead to issues.

A Skunk Kennel Club perhaps?

Fred's off to Cornwall for a dirty couple of weeks with George's mum at the weekend, we're not expecting any stud fees or the 'pick of the litter' from it.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
No Life Member

All mine bar 1 are castrated

Though yeps i do think it would be a good idea to get something sorted like fixx said a sort of KC for skunks would be a good idea

long job i reckon but would be worth it in the end to stop inter breeding

only problem some people may have if skunks are pet shop bought then they may not know where they originally came from

Skunk Registry site, with information and help for anyone with interest in skunks!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Postaholic Member

There's one for Pygmy Hedgehogs isn't there? Maybe contact them and find out what they do/how they do it.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Posting Deity

I was just going to suggest the hedgehog thing.

I've not got a skunk and, as much as I would like one, don't see myself getting one in the near or distant future, but I agree totally with what Pouchie says - if any kind of animals are being bred from they should have some sort of paperwork to identify their breeding and ancestry to prevent inbreeding in the future.

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaj View Post
All mine bar 1 are castrated

Though yeps i do think it would be a good idea to get something sorted like fixx said a sort of KC for skunks would be a good idea

long job i reckon but would be worth it in the end to stop inter breeding

only problem some people may have if skunks are pet shop bought then they may not know where they originally came from

What you mean people will be breeding pet shop bought ones?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Lucy_

It is a good idea... but there are so many people out there with skunks that people dont know about! i know about 7 people who have got skunks, and their friends have, but only a handfull of people know they have them, and they want to keep it that way... so im guessing there are also ALOT more!

I was speaking to someone the other day who breeds, he puts out about 30 each year... they all go to people in the UK and dont get exported... so for the last 9 years of him breeding... how many of these people are known who have bought from him? hardly any...
So yes it would be a great idea, but very complicated... plus if you are breeding a skunk with someone, you would expect them to know history etc about it, so you can then determine if it is related.
Ours all went with paperwork last year, proving parentage etc with a mini family tree type thing... one main reason we did this was because of the issue that was going on at the time about all the illegal imports, and if you could prove where your skunkie was from, it would be detained.

Lucy xx