Pet Monkey Breeders in the UK - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Exotic Mammals

Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Regular
Default Pet Monkey Breeders in the UK

Does anyone know of any breeders of Squirrel monkeys or Capuchin monkeys in the UK? They seem like gold dust to try and find, compared to America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu1 View Post
Does anyone know of any breeders of Squirrel monkeys or Capuchin monkeys in the UK? They seem like gold dust to try and find, compared to America.
U got a dwa I wouldn't call a monkey a pet ?
brittone05 likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Regular

They are relatively hard to find, with good reason. In my view, primates should never be termed "pets" - although they can be kept successfully by private keepers, I don't feel they fit the role expected of a "pet". But that's just my view.

The primate community can be a little reluctant in coming forward in response to posts like this, as so many are posted by idiots who have done no research and clearly do not have the animals best interests at heart -ie they do want a "pet", not a monkey, something they can cuddle up with on the sofa in the evening, feed roast dinners too, keep in a cage in a corner of the house, and dress up in baby clothes. If you're genuinely seeking a troop of these animals, maybe post demonstrating your research/experience/knowledge - how you intend to house them, diet, group dynamics, vet care etc. and as stated above whether you have the dwa in place already, or else how far through the process you are. If people can see you're serious and know your stuff you may well have someone come forward. If not you're likely to receive a bit of flak and not get too far. Primate keeping is always quite an emotive subject as so few people do it right...
Demonique, Joshy3 and Tog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Ultra Citizen

Squirrel monkeys are not DWA.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERAROBERTSON View Post
Squirrel monkeys are not DWA.
I didn't no that although I no capuchins are
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykickboxer View Post
U got a dwa I wouldn't call a monkey a pet ?
As already mentioned, Squirrel monkeys don't need a DWA. If I wasn't able to get a DWA licence where I live, then I wouldn't get a capuchin in the first place! Any animal which lives with you for its entire life time, which gets cared for by you, fed by you etc is a pet in my book. Undoubtedly pet monkeys are certainly one of the hardest pets to care for, but that doesn't make them any less of a pet imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenor View Post
They are relatively hard to find, with good reason. In my view, primates should never be termed "pets" - although they can be kept successfully by private keepers, I don't feel they fit the role expected of a "pet". But that's just my view.

The primate community can be a little reluctant in coming forward in response to posts like this, as so many are posted by idiots who have done no research and clearly do not have the animals best interests at heart -ie they do want a "pet", not a monkey, something they can cuddle up with on the sofa in the evening, feed roast dinners too, keep in a cage in a corner of the house, and dress up in baby clothes. If you're genuinely seeking a troop of these animals, maybe post demonstrating your research/experience/knowledge - how you intend to house them, diet, group dynamics, vet care etc. and as stated above whether you have the dwa in place already, or else how far through the process you are. If people can see you're serious and know your stuff you may well have someone come forward. If not you're likely to receive a bit of flak and not get too far. Primate keeping is always quite an emotive subject as so few people do it right...
I understand the needs of caring for pet monkeys, and have researched it for a good 3 years now. I'd aim to give it the best life possible - if I couldn't, then I wouldn't be considering this at all. That would mean a purely natural diet (no 'human food' whatsoever!), no human clothes at all, plenty of space and lots of ideas to challenge the monkeys intelligence so that it never got bored and depressed.

While a lot of people would argue that pet monkeys should be in the wild, you could argue that with many other pets. The best example I can think of is parrots. Dogs are considered to be very intelligent animals, for obvious reason. The African grey parrot for example, which is one of the most common pet parrot species to have as a pet, is the smartest animal in the world (or top 3 at least) - smarter than any pet monkey or dog. Yet the amount of times I've seen these animals caged up at zoos, with not even one toy to keep them amused. Then these same people can see a dog caged up (which I don't agree with either!) but go absolutely crazy at the owners of the dog for doing this. I believe parrots to be just as hard work as a pet monkey. Yet the same people who get really angry at pet monkey owners, don't blink an eye at pet parrot owners. People argue that pet monkeys should have more freedom. What about parrots then? Shouldn't they be able to fly the way they were created to do? Parrots are if anything, more restricted because of the flying. Some parrot owners do let their birds fly to be fair, but the majority don't.

Plus people seem to forget that the wild isn't as nice as it is made out to be. In captivity, pet monkeys lose a certain sense of freedom, and they sometimes lose being with their own kind as well. But there are also positives to this. They never have the worry of having to find food, water and shelter. They also don't have to be on the look out for predators which could kill them at any moment. While humans may not be as good company as their own kind, they are still enjoyed to be around, so they don't completely lose that bond.

My final point is pet dogs! When pet dogs were first domesticated, they would have been just as wild as pet monkeys. The only difference being that they were a lot more dangerous. But over years and years, they have been transformed from wolves to lap dogs, to police dogs, to dogs for the blind etc. While it may have taken a long time, we eventually have the most popular pet in the world. If people had the chance to go back on all of the taming of wolves, most people would say no! Monkeys are more intelligent (or capuchins at least) than dogs, so if anything this process would take a lot less time.

I do believe that pet monkeys can, in many (many) years to come be just as tame, if not more, than dogs. It sounds silly now, but they could even be on par with dogs in the jobs they do like helping the blind. The biggest problem with pet monkeys is of course teaching the people who get them how to care for them. It is similar to 'dangerous' dog breeds like Pit bulls I guess in the sense that you want to teach the people who get them how to properly care for them, before it is too late and the breeds are illegal everywhere in the world. Once you teach the people how to care for them, and persuade the people who can't meet the monkeys needs to not get one, then you're onto a winner. Sadly that isn't going to be easy to do.

A lot of points there, but I do think that they are fair. I don't want to offend anyone who disagrees with pet monkeys being pets, but I do think that you should at least be able to answer these questions before continuing with what you believe about them.
boxer2quick, Demonique and Chris18 like this.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu1 View Post
I understand the needs of caring for pet monkeys, and have researched it for a good 3 years now. I'd aim to give it the best life possible - if I couldn't, then I wouldn't be considering this at all.
I think you just made your first mistake there. That's going to be highlighted for sure i feel!
Zoo-Man, samurai, aliburke and 1 others like this.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Regular

Hi how many do you intend to keep and how to you propose to keep them, will you have an indoor heated area with a large outdoor area, they cannot be kept in cages and most importantly can't be kept on their own!
Demonique likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiioo View Post
I think you just made your first mistake there. That's going to be highlighted for sure i feel!
Uh oh! Excrement is gonna go down now, for sure!
Jamiioo, Moony14 and jaytrehy88 like this.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybrfc View Post
Hi how many do you intend to keep and how to you propose to keep them, will you have an indoor heated area with a large outdoor area, they cannot be kept in cages and most importantly can't be kept on their own!
^^I'd like to know this too.. ^^

In the beginning, god made man....then he had a better idea...