marm enclosures pussels and toys - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Exotic Mammals

Old 24-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Forum Citizen
Default marm enclosures pussels and toys

What puzzles or toys do you guys use to keep your marks from getting bored what do they seem more interested in
Advertisement

Old 24-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Hatchling

Sorry bud but marm, marks?

Last edited by monstervivs; 24-02-2013 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 24-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Super Citizen

I think he means Marmosets.
monstervivs likes this.

Old 24-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Hatchling

How much do you want to know mate? Are you thinking of getting?
There pritty straight forward. With these guys you can use off the shelf plastic toys but they will soon loose intrest in them unless they have food in and even then they tend to get bored. They are not an animal that over eats if their given a good diet. If you are looking into getting them the more common ones on the market are called common marmosets. They are prolifick senters and put their smell on everthing. They do not like their cage furniture to be srubbed to the nine, I would rarther change or only use warm soapy water. Thats one of many reasons why i think plastic, manufactured toys are no good. (they are not poorus and look bad) A very large part of their diet in the wild consists of gum or tree sap. They can spend alot of their day chewing through the bark on trees to get to it, visiting the same trees several time a day and keeping the bark from closing over. The best and I belive the only ways to keep them happy-
Keeping them in groups- 4 or 5 is more natural but seems to be the trend on the pet market today to keep a single sexed pair M or F.
If you want to enrich them try and keep it as natural aspossible, with regards to branching and so on. They will chew and scent theses all day long and change them or just one every week or so. Don't make all them branches fixed leave some thin in that bounce and have alot of movement in them it keeps these guys strong; fit and healthy. As long as they have these simple requirments in place your off to a flying start
I know this seems alot to take in but just pick out bits of this to start and the rest will fall into place over time.
Sorry got carried away could go on all night!
Hope that helps a little and if you need anything or want some information please ask and will do my best to get you what you need.
Cheers
jambos reptiles likes this.
Old 24-02-2013, 03:15 AM
Hatchling

Sorry forgot to say about the branching, most of it is ok. Stay away from pine as the sap messes with their fur ( they take great pride in their apperience Oaks and are more but lots of info on toxic plants on the net.
Friut trees are the best, apples, pears and so on. They will even eat the bark
Old 24-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Forum Citizen

Ah cheers guys yeah I ment marms lol hate the nexus 7 auto correct lol
Old 24-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstervivs View Post
How much do you want to know mate? Are you thinking of getting?
There pritty straight forward. With these guys you can use off the shelf plastic toys but they will soon loose intrest in them unless they have food in and even then they tend to get bored. They are not an animal that over eats if their given a good diet. If you are looking into getting them the more common ones on the market are called common marmosets. They are prolifick senters and put their smell on everthing. They do not like their cage furniture to be srubbed to the nine, I would rarther change or only use warm soapy water. Thats one of many reasons why i think plastic, manufactured toys are no good. (they are not poorus and look bad) A very large part of their diet in the wild consists of gum or tree sap. They can spend alot of their day chewing through the bark on trees to get to it, visiting the same trees several time a day and keeping the bark from closing over. The best and I belive the only ways to keep them happy-
Keeping them in groups- 4 or 5 is more natural but seems to be the trend on the pet market today to keep a single sexed pair M or F.
If you want to enrich them try and keep it as natural aspossible, with regards to branching and so on. They will chew and scent theses all day long and change them or just one every week or so. Don't make all them branches fixed leave some thin in that bounce and have alot of movement in them it keeps these guys strong; fit and healthy. As long as they have these simple requirments in place your off to a flying start
I know this seems alot to take in but just pick out bits of this to start and the rest will fall into place over time.
Sorry got carried away could go on all night!
Hope that helps a little and if you need anything or want some information please ask and will do my best to get you what you need.
Cheers

You make it sound so simple.
Old 24-02-2013, 10:52 PM
No Life Member

Heres a thread I started ages ago

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...nrichment.html

I have OCD - Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder!