Locust breeding attempt - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Feeder

Old 28-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Regular

Started feeding off my first own bred locusts

All going well now, surviving well on mainly spring greens. They hardly eat the oats I give them. Not getting any deaths which has surprised me but can't complain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Regular

Hello everyone,
been nearly a year without an update so I thought I'd let you know how it went.

Shame my pictures all seem to have dissapeared..

So for anyone who read my posts they will know locusts stink. I read the other day someone saying dubia smell. Well I have had 100,000 dubia in the past and I have had 100 locusts... The 100 locusts beat the 100,000 dubia smell wise but you will always get people dissing the humble cockroach.
Atleast the cockroach seems to be a firm favourite on I'm a celebrity get me out of here even though they will be the cleanest out the lot.
Anyway, locusts...

I have to admit I gave up breeding shortly after taking the last pictures I posted.
What I did wrong was overbreed. I still only have 1 bearded dragon, once I'd gotten about 200 babies I was still getting 30 more every day from then.

The babies started eating LOADS. The smell got really bad. All my cages needed cleaning. So I abandoned them and my beardie went on a diet.

Now 8 months later my beardie is hungry again so I bought a sack of locusts from livefoodsdirect.

Fair enough I received 10% extra locusts in my sack so was pretty happy and wondering if breeding would be worth it, however to my annoyance over the next 3 days exactly half the locusts have died from them...
They were only in the post for 1 day but it is November so maybe they were shocked but to me half dying is not great. Ah well never mind, they are breeding stock anyway right?

So here we go again. Quick reminder that I need to wait couple weeks till my locusts are adults, then nother couple weeks till they are mature, then 3 more weeks for babies to hatch so next year earliest but not as bad as setting up a dubia colony which takes 6 months minimum.

I have decided to only breed 60 locusts per week max so I will have to keep an eye on eggs laid and kill any excess.

Old 30-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Regular

uploaded some pictures from last time round

this is now the new setup, just slightly smaller tanks, 1x 20 watt heatmat and 1 x 3w led aquarium light. All breeding locusts are adult now, still pink, but should be mature in a weeks time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-12-2017, 01:35 AM
Regular

Hello people,
me again, this time a little bit behind schedule, my locusts have been adult for one month exactly now but haven't seen any mating yet.
Thing is the order from livefoodsdirect messed things up a bit. I mentioned that in the first 3 days I had massive die offs from their order.
Ony 10 baby locusts did well, the rest all died a mysterious death and started throwing up red vomit - a disease I have read about before.
My breeding stock was kept seperate from the diseased locusts but they were kept next to each other in the same cupboard.
Well a few of my breeding stock has now died so I think they got cross contaminated

I decided to place an order with thelivefoodwarehouse, ordered 50 baby locusts which worked out cheaper than half the price of 100 baby locusts.
I received 70 locusts.
All doing great 2 weeks later.

Old 30-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Regular

Nearly reaching 2018 now.

Quick update from the locust tank. Basically they turned adult 42 days ago. Nothing had been happening so I bumped temperatures up to 33 degrees C
and I moved the light (it is only a 3 watt) right next to their tank.
Few days later I am now witnessing the first mating.

Not sure which was more important but I am suspecting it was actually the light being too far away since I have used smaller containers this time round the light was too far away.

Ah well fingers crossed they aren't too old now

Old 25-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Regular

all still going well. I've completely run out of food but I've got 150 + babies from breeding again so I'm feeding off my first 30 babies. Makes the effort worth it seeing your work pay off but it has been much easier knowing what I'm doing this time. Weekly clean outs using a larger container to stop escapees and feeding a bit of spring greens here and there. Smell is much improved, as soon as a locust dies I can smell it, so quick clean out needed when that happens, otherwise as long as the containers are ventilated (dry) enough the smell is manageable.

Carson likes this.

Tags
breeding , locust , mating