Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Feeder (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/)
-   -   whats the difference between brown crickets and silent crickets? (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/383361-whats-difference-between-brown-crickets.html)

dan.hobley 23-09-2009 07:54 PM

whats the difference between brown crickets and silent crickets?

thougth they were both the same? i use black crickets atm as they dont jump or escape while in their lil keeper..but thinking as they're a lil more canabalistic silent brown would be better.

thing is i want the silent ones to be the same as the blacks as ive had brown silent before and they're jumpy, fast, escape experts! lol

cheers

Nihlus 23-09-2009 09:07 PM

the silent ones are similar to black ones just a bit smaller. They do churp tho so i dont know why they are called silent :bash:. the brown(Banded, tropical house) Crickets are smaller still and very fast moving and jumpy.

dan.hobley 23-09-2009 09:22 PM

so the silent ones are the better of the two "brown"

i use black atm but seen it mentioned that the blacks have more chitin giving them a harder shell so maybe the silents will be a better choice??

Nihlus 24-09-2009 09:53 AM

Personally I prefer the banded brown crickets as IMO they don't smell as bad and they make my reptiles work for their food, as i know my bearded dragon would lay there with his mouth open and wait for crickets to walk in if he could :lol2:

dan.hobley 24-09-2009 10:57 AM

lol cheers. well i went for the silent crickets in the end and will report back with how he gets on with them! cheers for ur help again RFUK forum members :)

Malti 24-09-2009 10:59 AM

which cricket makes less noise?

garlicpickle 24-09-2009 11:31 AM

The silent ones aren't silent, but they're a heck of a lot quieter than the banded browns.

I use silents and bandeds for my spiders as I can't stand the smell of blacks and they're too vicious to risk leaving in, in case the spider moults and gets nibbled.

The bandeds are very jumpy though and will live quite happily in your house if they escape.

Malti 24-09-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlicpickle (Post 4776084)
The silent ones aren't silent, but they're a heck of a lot quieter than the banded browns.

I use silents and bandeds for my spiders as I can't stand the smell of blacks and they're too vicious to risk leaving in, in case the spider moults and gets nibbled.

The bandeds are very jumpy though and will live quite happily in your house if they escape.

I should get silent then...and I have browns on d way

me -->:bash: <-- my dad :lol2:

haunted-havoc 24-09-2009 12:10 PM

i think silent crickets only make noise when they have reached adulthood and sexually maturity. not entirely sure on this though.

i got some silent once a few weeks ago and they were small ones, so obviously baby ones and never heard them as i kept them in my bedroom

garlicpickle 24-09-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haunted-havoc (Post 4776250)
i think silent crickets only make noise when they have reached adulthood and sexually maturity. not entirely sure on this though.

i got some silent once a few weeks ago and they were small ones, so obviously baby ones and never heard them as i kept them in my bedroom

yeah, only the adults sing. They do it by rubbing their legs on their wing cases, so no wings = no singing :lol2:

I have to admit I stick the cricket tub in the fridge for 20 minutes before opening it to get any out. it slows them down and makes them much easier to deal with.