Help Dubia Roach Overload! - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Feeder

Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to The Roach Hut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone View Post
Interesting thank you. I stopped giving the crystals as the mites accumulated around it. I'll try again once I put the other things in to kill them. What issues have you had with orange and what do you feed yours please?
i feed our own blend of roach chow and mainly root veg and squashes, ocasionaly apples, but with fruit it turns and makes an issue in your tubs. oranges in our opinion slows production down. now many will argue at that, but over that past 10 years we done various trials with it and each time the breeding tub that had oranges seemed to produce about 10% less nymphs. have u checked out our site there are many videos and caresheets there that may be of interest to you

Tony

You can now follow us on Youtube, Twitter and facebook (Also has an online shop along with our own site), just search for the roach hut and send a friend request.

All Payments and emails should be sent to the following address [email protected]
we only post out roaches monday - thursday to avoid them sitting in depo over weekend
Call me on 07762 696169

Video Of Our Fake Rock Build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cidiosztwjs

Now Trading As The Roach Hut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roach Hut View Post
i feed our own blend of roach chow and mainly root veg and squashes, ocasionaly apples, but with fruit it turns and makes an issue in your tubs. oranges in our opinion slows production down. now many will argue at that, but over that past 10 years we done various trials with it and each time the breeding tub that had oranges seemed to produce about 10% less nymphs. have u checked out our site there are many videos and caresheets there that may be of interest to you

Tony
Oh I see. I don't give apple much because I've noticed it goes bad quickly. I will have a read of your site thanks. I really appreciate your help.
Marine Tank
Naultinus grayii
Uroplatus phantasticus
Correlophus (Rhacodactylus) ciliatus
Various Abronia
Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to kez30 Send a message via Skype™ to kez30

I've found putting food on top of vertically stacked egg crate helps keep the humidity down, I put it on a plastic food tub lid/ice cream tub lid etc.

Firedragon, that's interesting never heard anyone say feeding oranges slows them down but can't argue the point if you've done trials. A lot of people say feeding it gets them breeding better but haven't seen anyone mention they've tested the idea, nor can i find any info as to why it would improve breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez30 View Post
I've found putting food on top of vertically stacked egg crate helps keep the humidity down, I put it on a plastic food tub lid/ice cream tub lid etc.

Firedragon, that's interesting never heard anyone say feeding oranges slows them down but can't argue the point if you've done trials. A lot of people say feeding it gets them breeding better but haven't seen anyone mention they've tested the idea, nor can i find any info as to why it would improve breeding.
yeah like i said a lot of people will prob argue with it, i dont know if u seen our videos? but those tubs we had 3 tubs we used with our adults and they were identical tubs 3 used for oranges and 3 without now its not a scientific test but we weighed the nymphs produced every month from all 6 tubs. the tubs without oranges yielded 10% more weight, but to ensure it wasnt a fluke we ran the experiment for 6 straight months and added the figure at the end, and it still showed a 10% decrease in the tubs that were given oranges.

It is of course only our opinion and many out there would disagree with us, i can only say what we found in our experience.

And god noone called us firedragon in a while, kinda nice to hear lol

You can now follow us on Youtube, Twitter and facebook (Also has an online shop along with our own site), just search for the roach hut and send a friend request.

All Payments and emails should be sent to the following address [email protected]
we only post out roaches monday - thursday to avoid them sitting in depo over weekend
Call me on 07762 696169

Old 12-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:

and putting the food on top of crates is a valid point from kez, we do the same thing with our breeders using our 5 pot feeding tubs. it also allows more surface ares from the egg crates
jimib likes this.

Call me on 07762 696169

Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
and putting the food on top of crates is a valid point from kez, we do the same thing with our breeders using our 5 pot feeding tubs. it also allows more surface ares from the egg crates
What are 5 pot feeding tubs?
Marine Tank
Naultinus grayii
Uroplatus phantasticus
Various Abronia
Old 12-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Thanks, I was putting it low down in the tub.
Marine Tank
Naultinus grayii
Uroplatus phantasticus
Various Abronia
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Premier Citizen

Just a 5 compartment tub that we use check out the setup vids on our site

Call me on 07762 696169

Old 12-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone View Post
What are 5 pot feeding tubs?
kinda like tool trays. Single tray with compartments. Available from most pound shops etc. Just scuff up all the edged so the roaches can climb it and youre done. Easy to use as you just lift out, wash and slap back in with more veg, dryfood, crystals etc.
2.8.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Reticulated Dwarf Jampeya.
1.0.0 Albino Burmese.
Lotsa T's

http://www.anthonydidsbury.co.uk
Photography | Webdesign | Webhosting
Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Just a 5 compartment tub that we use check out the setup vids on our site
I just looked thanks. Great videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_wraith View Post
kinda like tool trays. Single tray with compartments. Available from most pound shops etc. Just scuff up all the edged so the roaches can climb it and youre done. Easy to use as you just lift out, wash and slap back in with more veg, dryfood, crystals etc.
Thank you.
Marine Tank
Naultinus grayii
Uroplatus phantasticus
Various Abronia