question about sand - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Fish Keeping

Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 3
Default question about sand

I'm going to be switching from gravel to sand in my Kribensis tank and one thing that keeps popping up is the depth of the sand, seems like most people say you can't have more than an inch or there will be some sort of build up of gas or bacteria and will slowly release into the water and harm the fish? How true is this?

I was flicking through one of the latest PFK magazines and saw a natural killi fish setup and that's what I'm aiming for something like that and the guy built a bank in one corner with the base being a few rocks and wondered how safe this is?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Super Citizen

Sand is obviously much finer than gravel so it can get quite anoxic. Anoxic is an absence of oxygen and anaerobic bacteria build up can start to release nasty chemicals into the water, typically sulphur compounds. Anything over an inch or so will get this trouble unless you're religious about gravel siphoning and turning it all over.

If you try and put a layer of gravel under the sand it'll fail, after a few cleanings you'll have the sand falling through the gravel and laying underneath it.

As for the PFK article I can't comment, haven't seen it myself, what issue was it in?
1 Female Wife
Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargle View Post
Sand is obviously much finer than gravel so it can get quite anoxic. Anoxic is an absence of oxygen and anaerobic bacteria build up can start to release nasty chemicals into the water, typically sulphur compounds. Anything over an inch or so will get this trouble unless you're religious about gravel siphoning and turning it all over.

If you try and put a layer of gravel under the sand it'll fail, after a few cleanings you'll have the sand falling through the gravel and laying underneath it.

As for the PFK article I can't comment, haven't seen it myself, what issue was it in?
It was issue 04 April 2014, the guy uses rocks as a base for a sand bank and pacts sand down round them to create the structure which is what I was hoping to do. It looks as though it will only be about an inch on top of the rocks but it would be near impossible to not leave any air pockets under and round the back of the rocks.

Old 18-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Hatchling

I wouldn't worry about the depth of sand I kept my angelfish with tetras and cory cats in a trigon 190 with just a sand substrate. I used play sand and had it sloping back to the corner with a depth of about 4-5 inches at the back. I never had any problems at all not even a bad smell when I broke the tank down. I never cleaned the sand either or had snails.
Old 19-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Postaholic Member

I have honestly never heard of anyone having trouble with anaerobic bacteria. It's so over hyped. But if you 're really worried, try some malaysian trumpet snails which bury through the sand and help prevent any gas build ups.
Ron Magpie likes this.
Old 20-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esfa View Post
I have honestly never heard of anyone having trouble with anaerobic bacteria. It's so over hyped. But if you 're really worried, try some malaysian trumpet snails which bury through the sand and help prevent any gas build ups.
Thanks for the help, but the sand has been put on hold for now after adding some wood and it almost killed off the fish. Luckily saved nearly all of them and my pair of Kribs are fine.

But will get round to adding sand once I have a good few hours spare,

So roughly how long is it likely to take to settle if I do it?
Also what sand is better silica sand or regular playsand?
Old 20-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Hatchling

I use just regular play sand from Argos cheap and cheerful . Just make sure to rinse it well before you use it. It can be kinda dusty and dirty. I've used it without rinsing before and it just takes longer to settle. It should settle in a few hours or so if you make sure to be gentle when adding the water back in. Put a plate or bowl on top then pour the water over that so its not stirring up the sand.

Sorry to hear about the disaster you had with the wood hope all is OK now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 20-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Gold Star Member

Thanks will just use playsand then as the silica sand was £20, I have no clue what happened with the wood, I weighted it down and put it in overnight and by the morning a couple of cardinals and the bamboo shrimp had died and the rest of the fish were gasping for air at the top of the tank. So quickly took it out and did a big water change and the rest of the fish are fine.
Old 20-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esfa View Post
I use sand for fish tanks and never use gravel even in my viv pool sections due to ease of cleaning and knowing I ain't harbouring allsorts of nasties in the gravel. as stated and with the filtering and regular water changes anyhow there should not be any build up, if any, occurring.
I even use this method in tiny enclosed tanks such as the EDGE:
EDGE#1 showing built up area

EDGE2 another with sand
Old 20-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Gold Star Member

Good to hear that there shouldn't be any trouble, is it best to keep a certain amount of gravel that holds all the bacteria in the tank for a while or does it not really matter?

Tags
gravel , sand