Nano One fish tank - japanese fighting fish - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Fish Keeping

Old 14-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Nano One fish tank - japanese fighting fish

Hi all,

Was just looking for a bit of advice please.

Ive recently bought a nano one aquarium from pets t home.

It came sith filtration system, heater and a pump.

I set it up as I was advised to and left it a few days before going back to get the fish.

Upon getting the fish, I was told I could have a few in the same tank so decided to get 2 females and 1 male japanese fighters. Did everything correctly with putting them into the tank - acclimatising them to the water ect and then in they went. No problems there.

I took the fish back to be told that it had fin rot and fungus... I was advised that this could be down to the water not being oxygenated correctly. I asked them about the pump and asked if it should be blowing bubbles etc and they said it should be...

The instructions for setting up the tank say that the pump should be fully submerged, but if I do this no bubbles come out. If I take water out, the pump is so loud but does blow out bubbles.

Could anyone please tell me if there is something Im maybe doing wrong. I dont want to kill my fish. They sold me some live plants to hell oxygenate the tank but I still dont know why my pump isnt producing bubbles.

Please help...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Couple of tarantulas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Premier Citizen

Anyone?

Couple of tarantulas

Old 15-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 3

The pump/filter should be fully submerged, water bubbles shouldn't have anything to do with it I don't think. But really I wouldn't keep 2 females and a male in that size tank, may be take the 2 females back and keep just a male having that many aggressive fish in the same tank is just going to stress them all and the male could be harassing the females which will lead to nipped fins or the stress could cause fin rot.
LawrenceJMitchell likes this.

Old 15-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Super Regular
Smile

Stress and the associated fin rot is generally caused by poor water.
The filter needs to be running 24 7 in order to start the process of maturing.......put simply when fish pee and crap in the water the ammonia poisions the water........slowly over a period of time your filter will build up a population of micro bacteria that will feed off and change the ammonia to nitrite, and then to nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are bad and dangerous to fish.....nitrates are less so.
Whoever told you to add 3 fish after a couple of days is a tool.
The filter needs to run for a couple of weeks after which one fish could be added. Feed LIGHTLY and do regular water changes (take out 20% and replace with treated tap water)
The thing about fighters is they are labyrinth fish......this means they take some oxygen from the water through their gills.....but can also gulp oxygen from the surface......this is due to their wild environment being very still/stagnant........So the filter bubbling/breaking the surface is irrelevant.
I would recommend letting the tank run then adding one fish...........three weeks later add two more........male first then the two females......
Also fighting fish are aggressive and can knock lumps out of each o th her........add loads of floating plants ( natural to fighters) this allows them to avoid each other where necessary. Also add iii B-) dead oak/Beech leaves helps to "sweeten" the water to the fishes liking.......drop in two or three they will float but sink after a day or so.
Also look for lights feeds of live or frozen foods.......don't have the tank swimming in flake.......they won't eat it and it will pollute.........
There is an art to feeding fighters and once they are feeding well they will take flake and pellets better.......
When you clean the filter contents(media) rinse in tank water ONLY........raw tap water will instantly kill the friendly bacteria........
All is what works for me.........
All the best
herper147 and creg like this.
Old 15-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Premier Citizen

Thank you for have spoken to the shop and they have told me that air bubbles need to be coming from the pump... my dad has had a look at it too snd he said its working fine and it doesnt need to have bubbles as long as it's working. I have three live plants in there which bulk up a lot of the tank so they have plenty of places to go if they want to be away from the others. The male that I took back, they kept and gave me a different one as they said they would be able to get it better. Not sure how as it had barely any tail... I have to take a water sample to them for it to be tested but they said that theplants sshould help with getting the water correct.

I will get some wood to put in there too and some more hidey places for them.

Thanks again for your help.

Couple of tarantulas

Old 17-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Super Regular

In all honesty I would take the females back and keep the male. Males should always be kept alone, and to create a sorority of females requires at least 5 and a large tank, even then it doesnt always work. The females can be more aggressive than the males! I learned that the hard way
0.2.0 Betta Splendens
0.1.0 Ancistrus sp.
0.0.1 Otocinclus Vittatus
A crap load of mice and a magpie called one-eyed willie!
Old 18-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Postaholic Member

Okay so there's a few problems here:

First of all, your filter isn't 'cycled'. This means that the filter isn't capable of breaking down the toxins from the fish waste. Imagine being stuck in a bath for weeks, and having to use it as your toilet too. You'd probably get fin rot as well! See this stickied thread here:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...g-dummies.html

Second of all, it is advised not to keep both male and female fighters together. They're not called fighters for nothing! The male will kill the females at some point. How many litres is the tank? If big enough you can keep 3+ females. If not, then I'm afraid it's one male on his own.

Thirdly, the filter doesn't need to be blowing bubbles. As long as there is some movement on the water surface (ripples, etc) then there's enough surface area for the needed gas exchanges to be taking place. Bubbles actually release very little oxygen into the water as they rise to the surface very quickly.

Hope this helps!
creg and LawrenceJMitchell like this.
Old 18-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Super Regular
Question

I concur with the comments above............at least to some degree...
In my experience keeping male and female fighters together is a game of chance that is perhaps best avoided.
I have kept lots of fighters and some males are more tolerant than others......but so are the females..........AND.......the levels of tolerance can change.
One honest example experience I can share......
I kept a nice purple male fighter with rasboras and cardinals for some time.........then added 3 cracking females (one white with red fins, one purple and one dark red)everything was great for about 6 months......the male occasionally displayed and chased but with loads of floating plants for cover no problems...........save for the occasional split fin..........which to be honest fighters shrug off.
Then one day out of the blue I found the male up against the filter battered.....beyond repair.....
The females were circling round attacking now and then............they had suddenly ganged up and done him in.
So in keeping fighters go for either the one male........get the tank right and properly cycled.........
Or if u like females then why not go for an all female group.......some great coloured females around and keep in groups of six or more to avoid bullying issues.......
Just my experience........all the best whatever you do
Old 19-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Regular

I would also re-iterate what has been said in this thread re Siamese fighters being labrynth fish. In the wild they live in still waters with low oxygen levels, which is why they've developed the labrynth organ to absorb atmospheric air. Hence the advice from Pets at Home re oxygen levels is nonsense. A turbulent water surface (caused by bubbles) would not be a situation that these fish would live in naturally. My best advice would be to avoid Pets at Home like the plague to be honest.

― George Carlin
Old 20-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Forum Citizen

The problem, as already stated, is not the oxygen level in the water, it's that the tank hasn't cycled... Unfortunately a lot of shops that sell fish are quite happy to sell you fish to put in an uncycled tank because there's a good chance the fish will die and they can sell you more fish.
I also agree that the tank is too small for a group of females, and females are best kept in groups of 4-5 as a minimum. Males and females can be kept together but you need a tank many times larger than your nano. Your tank is best suited to a single nice male (don't buy it from [email protected]).

Snakes - An assortment of garter snakes, including: radix, marcianus, infernalis, tetrataenia, cuitzeoensis, cyrtopsis.
Fish - 180l planted community tank, containing: Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, golden panchax, cardinal tetra, emperor tetra, bulldog plec, peppered cory, and ottos.