Help identifying catfish - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Fish Keeping

Old 23-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Help identifying catfish

I know this isnít correct forum. I am still awaiting a confirmation email to join a tropical fish one. But is anyone on here good with catfish? I know most catfish etc but the boyfriend got this one from work, shouldnít have came in with shipments basically so he brought home. Itís from Peru but thatís all I know! Sorry images arenít great, he/she is nocturnal and only comes out when lights are off but very scatty so had to chase for any images at all! Goldy brown with white and black nearing tail. Black tips to fins. Long whiskers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying catfish-img_6876.jpg  

Help identifying catfish-img_6872.jpg  

Help identifying catfish-img_6846.jpg  

Help identifying catfish-img_6836.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 08:09 PM
Regular

You've possibly already gotten the answer but it looks like a talking catfish (Striped Raphael catfish) to me.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwen_7 View Post
You've possibly already gotten the answer but it looks like a talking catfish (Striped Raphael catfish) to me.

Not had an answer actually! Itís not one of them, had them before, Iíve had many types but this was one that came in from Peru and not a blooming clue, assuming gets quite big. Also now have another which is longer and more slender, all golden with very long whiskers too. If we didnít take them both theyíd most likely be Ďchucked though as weíre both accidents, shouldnít of been in the boxes! But I think weíre going to end up with 2 large catfish! I only own a normal and an albino catfish now catfish wise, as have turtles also and some other fish so these 2 were added in to save them essentially. So Iím either going to need a larger tank again or these need a pond

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

Managed to snap a few more. But my gosh itís so quick!
Other catfish I canít get any of. May need to catch them both to get some decent images of them! Think both nocturnal as always in hide and other in the plants.

Old 18-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Postaholic Member

Not great photos to be fair .. lol

Donít suppose it looks anything like one of these ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 18-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Ultra Citizen

Oh I know. He is so quick and literally darted out for food then right back in! Might have to catch to get clearer as no way possible otherwise!
No nothing like that unfortunately. Canít even find anything similar to him online.. Just know he prefers hiding and the dark lol.
Iíve gone through loads of Peru catfish also and nothing!
So now have 2 catfish here and no clue what they are at all, all I know is were from Peru and both came in with shipments, accidentally caught with other fish so got brought home by boyfriend lol. Would be good is they stay smaller though haha.

Old 19-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishacoombes9 View Post
Oh I know. He is so quick and literally darted out for food then right back in! Might have to catch to get clearer as no way possible otherwise!
No nothing like that unfortunately. Canít even find anything similar to him online.. Just know he prefers hiding and the dark lol.
Iíve gone through loads of Peru catfish also and nothing!
So now have 2 catfish here and no clue what they are at all, all I know is were from Peru and both came in with shipments, accidentally caught with other fish so got brought home by boyfriend lol. Would be good is they stay smaller though haha.

Interesting.. I love a challenge . .. get some decent photos of them though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19-01-2020, 02:14 PM

Moved this from Habitat to Fish Keeping
elishacoombes9 likes this.
Old 23-01-2020, 02:42 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishacoombes9 View Post
I know this isn’t correct forum. I am still awaiting a confirmation email to join a tropical fish one. But is anyone on here good with catfish? I know most catfish etc but the boyfriend got this one from work, shouldn’t have came in with shipments basically so he brought home. It’s from Peru but that’s all I know! Sorry images aren’t great, he/she is nocturnal and only comes out when lights are off but very scatty so had to chase for any images at all! Goldy brown with white and black nearing tail. Black tips to fins. Long whiskers!

It is Brachyrhamdia marthae, one of the Pimelodids & part of a group of Pimelodidae known as Corydoras imitators- they shoal with corys in order to steal their food & eggs. They are less shy & more diurnal if 2 or more are kept. They grow to about 3''. https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...species_id=851

Last edited by wilkinss77; 23-01-2020 at 02:47 AM..
Old 23-01-2020, 03:23 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
It is Brachyrhamdia marthae, one of the Pimelodids & part of a group of Pimelodidae known as Corydoras imitators- they shoal with corys in order to steal their food & eggs. They are less shy & more diurnal if 2 or more are kept. They grow to about 3''. https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...species_id=851

Omg Thankyou so much!! Weíve had this for few months now and found nothing!
Might need your help with our other one also! Haha. Will give it a go tomorrow at trying to find it! And I will see if possible to get this guy a couple friends then so he/she isnít alone! Thankyou again