Anyone keep marines? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Fish Keeping

Old 05-01-2020, 07:37 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Anyone keep marines?

Does anyone keep marines and use the Berlin method? Keen to get some advice on what salt and equipment you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Premier Member

I've got a reef tank... no idea what the berlin method is ?

120 ltr tank with a 15ltr sump containing a 100w thermostat / heater, basic skimmer, phosphate reactor, and return pump. Lights and controller are DIY using a mix of 20 Cree 5w cool white, and 20 phillips royal blue LEDs.

I've tried several brands of salt, but stuck with Kent reef salt as it mixes well and can be had a lot cheaper than other brands. 15ltr water changes are done every couple of weeks.

Malc

Old 22-03-2020, 01:03 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
I've got a reef tank... no idea what the berlin method is ?

120 ltr tank with a 15ltr sump containing a 100w thermostat / heater, basic skimmer, phosphate reactor, and return pump. Lights and controller are DIY using a mix of 20 Cree 5w cool white, and 20 phillips royal blue LEDs.

I've tried several brands of salt, but stuck with Kent reef salt as it mixes well and can be had a lot cheaper than other brands. 15ltr water changes are done every couple of weeks.
Berlin method is filtration by powerful skimming & live rock only. Some enthusiasts use a hybrid system using both Berlin & Jaubert (deep sand bed) methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Berlin method is filtration by powerful skimming & live rock only. Some enthusiasts use a hybrid system using both Berlin & Jaubert (deep sand bed) methods.
Unknowingly I've done done both. I have a good inch - inch and a half of coral sand, with (originally) 12kg of living rock in the tank. Whilst the skimmer is not grossly overrated for the tank, it is able to handle the volume with ease...

Decades ago I successfully kept marines (fish only) using an under gravel filter plate with a reverse flow power head connected to each of the two "up lifts pipes" so water was pumped through the sand bed rather then drawn into it... worked well, especially as back then, sumps and skimmers were so so expensive

Edit: image of the tank attached. Its not that blue to the eye, camera is more sensitive to the UV...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone keep marines?-p1019016.jpg  

Malc

Last edited by Malc; 22-03-2020 at 05:46 PM..