Tropical Fish/Setups. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Fish Keeping

Old 26-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Super Citizen
Reviews: 2
Send a message via MSN to iLuke Send a message via Skype™ to iLuke
Default Tropical Fish/Setups.

Hi all, been an invert keeper for a good few years now and want to move onto marine too!

I’ve just purchased a 30L tank and want it make it as amazon as possible. I’m going to put live plants in for a week or two first then had the fish, I have a filter and a heater with built in LED lights around the top. Wondering if anyone could help me with going about setting up, what fish can I put communally without them killing each other off lol. Type of plants, any medical stuff I’ll need.

Appreciate any responses. Thanks ☺️
Advertisement

Old 26-04-2020, 11:27 PM
Regular

Read up on the nitrogen cycle for fish tanks, and how to do a fishless cycle. A lot of old school fishkeepers/shops will say let your tank run for a week then add "hardy fish" as a sacrifice to see if your filter has cycled.
Do the fish a favour and do a fishless cycle, it is so much kinder to the fish.

For a 30l, you are well into the nano fish section, galaxy rasbora spring to my mind but there are a few species. Or a single beta fish.
Personally I would do a shrimp, snails and rasbora is I had a 30l tank.
Most nano fish are shoaling species, so you probably won't get more than one species in the tank.

If you want a community tank, 60l+ gives space for 2-4 species comfortably.
Old 27-04-2020, 12:14 AM
Premier Member

30 ltr is small, what are the dimensions of the tank. Nothing more Amazon than Neon Tetra's, but you won't be able to keep many in 30ltrs, possibly no more than a dozen.

In the past I've used pure ammonia to dose the tank to get the nitrogen cycle running before putting plants and fish into a tank - as the above poster research fishless cycling of a tank for details.

RO water is key to keeping fish. Don't use dechlorinating products to treat tap water. I had nothing but issues, but haven't looked back since installing a four stage RO unit (I have a small 140ltr marine set up so its more critical). This can be purchased from a local fish stockist, you don't need your own, although its more convenient.

For freshwater Amazon the PH needs to be low, Ideally between 5 - 7. This will ensure decent plant growth and happy fish.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Posting Deity

My advice, go for the biggest tank you can. You'll want bigger than 30 liters once you get into it. I've got 8 tanks running from a 10l to a 200l and all mine are planted. I have never used RO water and my water is liquid rock. It's never been an issue. Plants grow well and I keep fish that are suited to my water type or source locally bred fish who are used to this water chemistry. My recent tank is a black water setup with a hybrid Betta.

It's a very addictive hobby. I enjoy it more than my reptiles
Old 27-04-2020, 04:01 PM
Super Citizen

Thanks for the reply guys. Appreciate it, I got some live plants in there now and the guys at the shop recommended a drop of products to help the plants and Co2 levels.

Liquid co2 boost - aquarium
Plant boost - aquarium.

And for the dimensions it’s a cube tank. I think it’s about 40 x 40 x 40.

I’ve got the filter running and some little soil pellets for the plants then a covering of some stones to cover it over.
Old 27-04-2020, 04:02 PM
Super Citizen

Sorry. A drop a day for the plants and co2 levels.
Old 27-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
My advice, go for the biggest tank you can. You'll want bigger than 30 liters once you get into it. I've got 8 tanks running from a 10l to a 200l and all mine are planted. I have never used RO water and my water is liquid rock. It's never been an issue. Plants grow well and I keep fish that are suited to my water type or source locally bred fish who are used to this water chemistry. My recent tank is a black water setup with a hybrid Betta.

It's a very addictive hobby. I enjoy it more than my reptiles
You must live in a decent water area... Our water comes out the tap at over 300 ppm dissolved solids.... its also hard... Plants hardly lasted a few months due to how bad it was. The RO unit drops that down to around 20 after stage 3 which we use for making drinks with and the 0 after the 4th stage...

Malc

Old 27-04-2020, 05:46 PM
Regular

For what it's worth, buying things from a shop that "help plants grow" has never worked for me. First you need to see if the plants grow fine in your water as it is, with nothing added. If they do not, you will learn what they are lacking in by looking at how they decompose/grow/colour they turn. Only then do you know what to add to your tank.

My lovely tasting scottish water has basically no disolved salts in it... registers .5 degrees onthe hardness tests ! So I add salts and minirals in. - for both my plants and axoltols
Attached Thumbnails
Tropical Fish/Setups.-plantdeficiencylabeled_mar15_2010.jpg  

**louise** likes this.
Old 27-04-2020, 06:46 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
You must live in a decent water area... Our water comes out the tap at over 300 ppm dissolved solids.... its also hard... Plants hardly lasted a few months due to how bad it was. The RO unit drops that down to around 20 after stage 3 which we use for making drinks with and the 0 after the 4th stage...
To be fair I use easy plants and have some quite good lighting. Budget but still decent for the plants. I also use a lot of stem plants and carpeting plants. The one plant I struggle with is Amazon sword but I think that's my BN plecos destroying them.

I have some pics here but I dont actually have any of these scapes now. I tore them all down and started again. I got bored Good thing is the plants and hardscape can all be re-used.

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...s-axolotl.html
Old 16-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Egg

There are several different types of fish that would work in 30l. As well as the ones already mentioned, good options are the ember tetra, the endler's livebearer and the least killifish. In that tank size sticking to one species is probably best. You can add more diversity in the inverts.

For plants, anubias nana, java moss, amazon swords, crypts, vallisneria and java ferns are easy to keep and attractive plants to start off with. With CO2 and good lighting you can expand over time to more difficult ones.