Starter lizard - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > General Herp Chat

Old 24-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Hatchling
Default Starter lizard

Hi, I'm looking to get a starter lizard for my 5 year old. We already have a Royal ball but I thought a lizard would be nice. Looking for something not too nippy and able to take a little bit of handling.

As I'll probably be doing most of the cleaning up etc, a low maintenance Liz would be an added benefit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

Can't think of any 'low maintenance' species - most will require daily feeding, water changes and spot cleaning so deciding how much time and effort you can devote is vital.

Why not make researching a new addition to the household a fun, enjoyable and beneficial exercise that both yourself and your child can learn from?

Determining the requirements of a species BEFORE you get it will make the whole process far more enjoyable both for you, your child and the animal.
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Old 24-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Hatchling

Yeah, that standard cleaning. I'm fine with that as I do it for the snake anyway. My wife would freak out if she found out ahead of time. It's easier to ask for forgiveness... Lol. Worked for the snake/cat/dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-09-2018, 03:45 PM
Ultra Citizen

Ordinarily yes, but when it concerns a live animal if everyone in the household is not onboard it can be a real strain and the ultimate looser is the animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Yeah, that standard cleaning. I'm fine with that as I do it for the snake anyway. My wife would freak out if she found out ahead of time. It's easier to ask for forgiveness... Lol. Worked for the snake/cat/dog
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons