how did you chose your pet - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > General Herp Chat

Old 01-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Citizen
Default how did you choose your pet

how did you choose your pet reptile
well with me I went to my local reptile shop a few time then decided to go with dart frogs and still enjoying them now for about two years

Last edited by dps51; 01-11-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 PM

We went to a local Scout Auction and got a fully set up vivarium for £1. Several years later, my son that talked me into having all the turtles, birds, tortoises and lizards (although sadly not all animals are still with us) is now a Vet

Cats are my favourite animal though, and we have a part Burmese currently - never had such a wonderful loving one ever.
Old 13-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Egg

turtles are such gentle animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Premier Member

Many many years ago Thames and Chiltern Herp Group held an anuual show in Amersham. It was mainly for members to show their animals to the public with the odd one or two with a few hatchlings to sell. I went to one when I was 11 and decided cided I really wanted a red knee tarantula spiderling, which were being sold for £1 each. My mum was having none of it so I had a full on sulking session. Eventually a compromise was made in that I could get a snake for my 12th birthday but only if I found out how to keep them. So for the next year I became a regular visitor to a local pet shop that sold reptiles, and read just about every book in the library on snakes.
I got a garter snake for my birthday.
richardhind likes this.
Old 27-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Ultra Citizen

When I was 13 we had a new pets shop open up on Ashbourne Rd Derby, owned by the late great"Luke Yoemans " I used to visit most days after school on the way home and finally talked my mum into a nice grey rat snake we called Roland, very 80's, I had him for 17yrs, we also had some gather snakes from him a year later
He had some fantastic stuff in there

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 30-05-2019, 02:25 AM
Forum Citizen

Always been obsessed with reptiles/amphibians, first ever owned was fire belly newts. I thought they were Amazing and fun to watch! I had a group of them and loved them! Would love some more but so hard to find now!
Me and my boyfriend now own Crested Geckos (6 adults, 5 babies currently and 4 eggs) A Panther chameleon, dart frogs, a pair of Klemmeri and a Williamsi baby. (Hatched a couple weeks ago from a pair we previously had/will be getting another when know the sex).
Let’s just say they’re animals that are very addictive! And I don’t see us stopping any time soon!
Them along with a Border Collie, a Cocker Spaniel, a hamster, a jumping spider, god knows how many shrimp which all different kinds and a giant African land snail. Oh and a little girl who’s 4 next week who’s a right monkey
I feel like I should have a petting zoo license haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
richardhind likes this.
Old 30-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Regular

Always been an animal person - when I met my now ex, he had several geckos, beardies, royals... the list goes on! And he was selling up.

I fell in love with one of the leos and I said he had to stay and that was it I was hooked! Sadly that leo passed away late 2016 at around 16 years old (we are unsure if it may have been more)

Since then, I've met someone else, another reptile fanatic and we have quite a variety of reptiles now. I like the brighter coloured reptiles!
richardhind likes this.

Old 30-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Regular

Before I got my beardie I knew I wanted a lizard of some kind, did some research and got the list down to a few and then went to a few reptile shops and got it down to a bearded dragon. I ended up getting the setup ready and running for a while and then the first reptile shop I went into had one that was alert, climbed around on me and just had a great personality so I went for him. Then he grew into the most antisocial beardie I’ve ever met still loved him anyway.

Now I have my blue tongue skink who loves to explore and falls asleep on me and I’m looking at getting another lizard soon. I wish I could have more but I don’t have the space at the moment, in the future I have a feeling there will be a few more though!