Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   General Herp Chat (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/general-herp-chat/)
-   -   Help/advice needed (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/general-herp-chat/174400-help-advice-needed.html)

Bigjim 26-08-2008 11:50 AM

Help/advice needed

This may not be the right place to ask, but I was thinking about getting an Elephant. Does anyone know a good care sheet, books to read and the size of enclosure they might need?

I'm not stupid, I don't want an African Bull Elephant or anything like that. I was thinking of an Asian Female......do they need calcium supplements etc.

Any help appreciated.

: victory:

Bigjim 27-08-2008 09:31 AM

Thanks for the PM.

My main reason for wanting an animal of this size is so that I can gain satisfaction from caring for it and providing it with the environment it needs.

Our local vet is also the on call vet for Bristol Zoo, so I have no qualms about the animal receiving the correct medical attention.

The field I have eye-balled for the Elephant is about 3/4 of a hectar - this is larger than any zoo enclosure I'm aware of but obviously not as big as its natural habitat.

I wondered if any one had any good care sheets, or the like, for a beast like this - and whether people recommend I start with an infant or go straight for a fully grown adult?

Thanks in advance

Jim

shell2909 27-08-2008 09:35 AM

elephants need a lot of trees as they dont eat grass. they also stay in herds, one elephant is not going to be happy about staying on his own.
i lived in Zimbabwe and Mozambique for a while and have seen them close up, what would you use as a fence as the ones i saw plowed through trees.
p.s sorry p:censor:g my self laughing thought this was a joke

charlottej1983 27-08-2008 09:38 AM

:lol2: are u serious? fair play if u are.

Bigjim 27-08-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell2909 (Post 2340489)
elephants need a lot of trees as they dont eat grass. they also stay in herds, one elephant is not going to be happy about staying on his own.
i lived in Zimbabwe and Mozambique for a while and have seen them close up, what would you use as a fence as the ones i saw plowed through trees.
p.s sorry p:censor:g my self laughing thought this was a joke

Sorry if I made you wet yourself! LOL.

The field is at the back of our house and is surrounded by a massive ditch (flood defenses). I was thinking of getting the field surveyed first to work out what additional fencing/containment I'd need.

Herding was my biggest concern.......I still need to think about this and see if I can convince the missus that I need more than one.

Bigjim 27-08-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalottej1983 (Post 2340501)
:lol2: are u serious? fair play if u are.

Semi-serious at the moment. Still a lot more planning to do.....potential avenues to explore.

shell2909 27-08-2008 09:45 AM

do you need a licence for it? wouldnt a giraffe be easier :)

charlottej1983 27-08-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell2909 (Post 2340545)

think the fall under dwa...... think about security ect ect.... some random person walking there dog, stumbles into your field..... and omg..... a elephant.... or a herd of elephants.... :lol2:

Bigjim 27-08-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalottej1983 (Post 2340556)
think the fall under dwa...... think about security ect ect.... some random person walking there dog, stumbles into your field..... and omg..... a elephant.... or a herd of elephants.... :lol2:

No chance of that...I live somewhere very remote. You are going to laugh but I live near an asylum, highly protected and difficult to get into to (and out of, I might add) : victory:

By the way, I'm not an inmate :whistling2:

Bigjim 27-08-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell2909 (Post 2340545)

Not sure, that's why I started the thread really, to get as much info as possible before going for it.