south wales reptile owners club - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > General Herp Chat

Old 31-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default south wales reptile owners club

right,anyone one around south wales with reptiles who would like to start a regular meet,theres lots of things available to us as a club,,im after peoples names and areas,once i have that i can then find a meeting hall that will be central to us all for ease of travelling,,

im looking at getting a very good local vet who has written a few books to come and do a few seminars ect,,im also looking for the input of the people of the area to put a few ideas in to the club as this wont be my club it will be our club for us just to generally meet and chat,,

we will also be able to organise a few days out to zoos,reptile shops,the pub lol,,ect ect

also we could be saving money on live/frozen food as i have a lot of trade contacts,,and if we ordered in bulk could save a lot of money,

if anyone is intrested then please post onb here to keep it bumped then pm me your details,,cheers gaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 3

Hi gaz
I'm not sure if your aware of the groups that are already around.
BEKs started by Josh-sama on here is a welsh organization and planning to have a few meetings in the coming months and as well as a few breeders expos soon.
These guys have the support of some of the bigger reptile breeders, shops and reptile people of our community.
The more members the better.

There is also a South Wales Reptile society that meet weekly in Neath.

Just thought id point these out to you.
Old 31-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

i know all about these but nothing ever seems to happen hun,i even put my name down for one of them but never heard anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

I registered CRA (cardiff reptile association) as an organisation 3 years ago but to be honest there was a lot of interest at first but no one could agree on a "central" place to meet and everyone just moaned it was too far and no one actually turned up, so I gave up - although it's still registered I mostly use it behind the scenes and with rescue, we do have a few dedicated members but not many.

But if you guys get one going that's more successful i'm sure i'll come to a few meets and say Hi
Old 31-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned
Send a message via MSN to cornboy

im up for it
Old 31-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard wizard View Post
i know all about these but nothing ever seems to happen hun,i even put my name down for one of them but never heard anything
BEKs is being built at the mo with a meeting on the cards in a month or so. I my self am involved in planning..
He is trying to set up the mail list for newsletter emails...

Also the South Wales Rep society is very active actually, with regular meetings and excursions.
They have lots of people come in to give talks etc
I would honestly youn the SWRC but the meetings are weekday nights and a bit difficult for me to get to
Old 31-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Gold Star Member

Nice
Old 31-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

lets all put our ideas together and get somthing up and running on a regular basis,as im dying to actually meet other enthusiastic keepers
Old 31-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athravan View Post
I registered CRA (cardiff reptile association) as an organisation 3 years ago but to be honest there was a lot of interest at first but no one could agree on a "central" place to meet and everyone just moaned it was too far and no one actually turned up, so I gave up - although it's still registered I mostly use it behind the scenes and with rescue, we do have a few dedicated members but not many.

But if you guys get one going that's more successful i'm sure i'll come to a few meets and say Hi
Is an expo for Cardiff still in the pipeline?
Old 31-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
Is an expo for Cardiff still in the pipeline?
It would have been this summer but after the debacle of last years shows in the south east being cancelled or camped / threatened by the anti's, and most of the essex shows being forced to change venues, the kidderminster one not going ahead again this year (although I don't know for what reasons specifically), I was advised that we would only be "safe" if we found a venue that was willing to stand firm against the anti's, and if we affiliated with an organisation such as the IHS for support.

The future of reptile shows in the UK seems very much up in the air right now so it seemed rather unwise to me to organise a new one, when previous new ones have not succeeded, and even some established shows are being forced to affiliate together to protect themselves.

I do still have a venue, and permission from the local council from last year, but would need to have another chat with them in the current climate. It seems risky to say the least right now though!