What morph is this corn please? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Genetics

Old 16-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Egg
Default What morph is this corn please?

Bought a couple of weeks ago but the original owner is not very forthcoming about what they are.

Orange one is possible female (very short tail) and poss DOB is Nov 2015

The white one they believe has the same DOB and is probably male.

Also the yellow markings on the white one are barley visible but show up more in camera pic.

Pics can be viewed here, https://tinyurl.com/y267t9u6

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Premier Member

Snow and amel.
The amel looks very underweight given the prominent spine and body shape verging on triangular.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:49 AM
Egg
Smile

Thanks Ian14

Thanks for responding.

To be honest I thought they were both underweight when I got them (just over 2 weeks ago) and am in the process of feeding them up. They had no heat mat or lamp when I got them, they were freezing to the touch and the viv was full of stools. So far they have ate 7 mice each in just over 2 weeks.

I weighed them this weekend before feeding and the Amel was 364.58g and the snow was 453g

I also have 2 other corns, perhaps you could tell me what you think they may be, I was sold them as a "Christmas corn and an Anery Masque, they can be seen here, https://tinyurl.com/yyuzbzbw

Thanks again for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awk View Post
Thanks Ian14

Thanks for responding.

To be honest I thought they were both underweight when I got them (just over 2 weeks ago) and am in the process of feeding them up. They had no heat mat or lamp when I got them, they were freezing to the touch and the viv was full of stools. So far they have ate 7 mice each in just over 2 weeks.

I weighed them this weekend before feeding and the Amel was 364.58g and the snow was 453g

I also have 2 other corns, perhaps you could tell me what you think they may be, I was sold them as a "Christmas corn and an Anery Masque, they can be seen here, https://tinyurl.com/yyuzbzbw

Thanks again for your input
One is another amel, the other definitely anery.
Old 22-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
One is another amel, the other definitely anery.
Thanks again. So NOT a Christmas Corn then?
Old 24-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks again. So NOT a Christmas Corn then?
No. A true Christmas is a form of hypo.
"Candy canes" have also been called Christmas corns, but this is a type of amel, usually those that are bright orange or red on a white background.
Old 24-07-2019, 08:53 AM
Egg

Quote:
No. A true Christmas is a form of hypo.
"Candy canes" have also been called Christmas corns, but this is a type of amel, usually those that are bright orange or red on a white background.
Thank you again for your info.
Old 24-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you again for your info.
No problem.
I have had a candy cane before, they are very different to your amel. It's a nice one, but I'm only seeing amel.
True candy canes are so strikingly different you would know instantly it was something more than an amel. Genetically they are just amel, but from a Miami locality.
My understanding of Christmas corns is that they are hypos which are basically a normal with no black outline to the saddles.
In any case, you have some nice corns, and as they are all so highly inbred you can never know the true genetic makeup, so who knows what you might get if you breed them.
Old 25-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Egg

Quote:
No problem.
I have had a candy cane before, they are very different to your amel. It's a nice one, but I'm only seeing amel.
True candy canes are so strikingly different you would know instantly it was something more than an amel. Genetically they are just amel, but from a Miami locality.
My understanding of Christmas corns is that they are hypos which are basically a normal with no black outline to the saddles.
In any case, you have some nice corns, and as they are all so highly inbred you can never know the true genetic makeup, so who knows what you might get if you breed them.
Thank you for your input again but can you explain a bit more to help me understand, my totally orange and white amel (& orange, yellow & white) doesn't have black outlined saddles so what else do you look for that tells you this. I have kept corns and others for years but never really got into all this morph stuff. Thanks.
Old 26-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for your input again but can you explain a bit more to help me understand, my totally orange and white amel (& orange, yellow & white) doesn't have black outlined saddles so what else do you look for that tells you this. I have kept corns and others for years but never really got into all this morph stuff. Thanks.
An amel won't have black because amel is short for amelanistic. That means it lacks melanin, the pigment for black colours.
A hypo is hypomelanistic, in other words it produces a very reduced amount of melanin. So the body colour is usually either brighter or more washed out than normal. In corns hypos lack the black border saddles and have a plain belly.

Tags
corn snake , morph