What morph is this corn please? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Genetics


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16-07-2019, 02:41 PM
awk awk is offline
Egg
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Default What morph is this corn please?

Bought a couple of weeks ago but the original owner is not very forthcoming about what they are.


Orange one is possible female (very short tail) and poss DOB is Nov 2015


The white one they believe has the same DOB and is probably male.


Also the yellow markings on the white one are barley visible but show up more in camera pic.


Pics can be viewed here, https://tinyurl.com/y267t9u6



Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 8,654
Default

Snow and amel.
The amel looks very underweight given the prominent spine and body shape verging on triangular.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18-07-2019, 09:49 AM
awk awk is offline
Egg
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Smile

Thanks Ian14


Thanks for responding.


To be honest I thought they were both underweight when I got them (just over 2 weeks ago) and am in the process of feeding them up. They had no heat mat or lamp when I got them, they were freezing to the touch and the viv was full of stools. So far they have ate 7 mice each in just over 2 weeks.


I weighed them this weekend before feeding and the Amel was 364.58g and the snow was 453g



I also have 2 other corns, perhaps you could tell me what you think they may be, I was sold them as a "Christmas corn and an Anery Masque, they can be seen here, https://tinyurl.com/yyuzbzbw


Thanks again for your input
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 8,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awk View Post
Thanks Ian14


Thanks for responding.


To be honest I thought they were both underweight when I got them (just over 2 weeks ago) and am in the process of feeding them up. They had no heat mat or lamp when I got them, they were freezing to the touch and the viv was full of stools. So far they have ate 7 mice each in just over 2 weeks.


I weighed them this weekend before feeding and the Amel was 364.58g and the snow was 453g



I also have 2 other corns, perhaps you could tell me what you think they may be, I was sold them as a "Christmas corn and an Anery Masque, they can be seen here, https://tinyurl.com/yyuzbzbw


Thanks again for your input
One is another amel, the other definitely anery.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2019, 05:55 PM
awk awk is offline
Egg
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
One is another amel, the other definitely anery.
Thanks again. So NOT a Christmas Corn then?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 8,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awk View Post
Thanks again. So NOT a Christmas Corn then?
No. A true Christmas is a form of hypo.
"Candy canes" have also been called Christmas corns, but this is a type of amel, usually those that are bright orange or red on a white background.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2019, 08:53 AM
awk awk is offline
Egg
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
No. A true Christmas is a form of hypo.
"Candy canes" have also been called Christmas corns, but this is a type of amel, usually those that are bright orange or red on a white background.
Thank you again for your info.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 8,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awk View Post
Thank you again for your info.
No problem.
I have had a candy cane before, they are very different to your amel. It's a nice one, but I'm only seeing amel.
True candy canes are so strikingly different you would know instantly it was something more than an amel. Genetically they are just amel, but from a Miami locality.
My understanding of Christmas corns is that they are hypos which are basically a normal with no black outline to the saddles.
In any case, you have some nice corns, and as they are all so highly inbred you can never know the true genetic makeup, so who knows what you might get if you breed them.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2019, 09:23 AM
awk awk is offline
Egg
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
No problem.
I have had a candy cane before, they are very different to your amel. It's a nice one, but I'm only seeing amel.
True candy canes are so strikingly different you would know instantly it was something more than an amel. Genetically they are just amel, but from a Miami locality.
My understanding of Christmas corns is that they are hypos which are basically a normal with no black outline to the saddles.
In any case, you have some nice corns, and as they are all so highly inbred you can never know the true genetic makeup, so who knows what you might get if you breed them.
Thank you for your input again but can you explain a bit more to help me understand, my totally orange and white amel (& orange, yellow & white) doesn't have black outlined saddles so what else do you look for that tells you this. I have kept corns and others for years but never really got into all this morph stuff. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 8,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awk View Post
Thank you for your input again but can you explain a bit more to help me understand, my totally orange and white amel (& orange, yellow & white) doesn't have black outlined saddles so what else do you look for that tells you this. I have kept corns and others for years but never really got into all this morph stuff. Thanks.
An amel won't have black because amel is short for amelanistic. That means it lacks melanin, the pigment for black colours.
A hypo is hypomelanistic, in other words it produces a very reduced amount of melanin. So the body colour is usually either brighter or more washed out than normal. In corns hypos lack the black border saddles and have a plain belly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
corn snake , morph

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)