Please help with creating a background - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat > Habitat Pictures

Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Regular
Default Please help with creating a background

Hello all, i havent posted for a while, but im now taking up a new project, i currently have a viv exotic ax48 vivarium which house my Chinese water dragons. I want to create something like this (please click link to see video) [URLhttp://youtu.be/KCco1bFKVhc [/URL]

What materials do you think i would need to create something like this,

I see it has dripping water down so that must be from an external filter which i have.

I know i need to seal all the wood vivarium so for extra protection i would yacht varnish that first.

I was thinking on using polystyrene and glue it with no nails directly into the viv and start creating rocks and shelves etc, for the bottom i was gonna make an aquarium but only have the front piece of glass showing, so the polystyrene is covering the glass so i also make rocks etc in the tank for fish, not decided on fish yet thats the last thing to think of. What do you think so far?

What would you suggest on how to make it and also of my ideas so far.

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Regular
Default Help with creating a background for water dragons

Hi,

As you can see from my above post, i need help on how to build and create the background, with my vivarium being quite big, i dont want to dismantle it i want to create the background in the viv, how do you think i should do that? should i stick the polystyrene on the back and sides and start building from there? or do you suggest a different way? also should i waterproof the back of the poly first before sticking it to the back or will it be ok to just stick it with silicone? obviously i will create the rocks etc and paint, grout and use varnish to seal it.

any input would be amazing, not had any replies yet

hope to get a reply and get help. thankd
Old 14-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Regular

No replies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Regular

Any help or advice
Old 20-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Ultra Citizen

I can't say about the epoxy I've never used it, you need to make sure it is completely impermeable so the water does not leach through to the wood.. I'd also worry the epoxy would leak chemicals into the moist substrate over time too? Again, I'm not clued up on epoxy's water resistant qualities ...

Maybe look into pond lining paints/products, these are designs to take a body of water and not leech any chemicals into it either

It still may be easier/cost effective to start with a moisture resistant product IMO, especially for BRBs

''..An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men..''
Charles Darwin

Old 20-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Regular

I was gonna put a custom fish tank in the viv so the water doesn't come in contact with the wood. But i wanted the rocks over the glass walls at the bottom so i can create a nice feature in the water
Rickettsial likes this.
Old 30-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Ultra Citizen

hi. ive spoken to someone else one here who makes their own vivs (wooden) and they said to use yacht varnish so possibly give that a go? ive been using it the last couple of days to seal a rabbit hutch so make sure its outside with plenty of ventilation because it hums lol I got mine from Wilkinson's.
Old 30-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Regular

Thats where its gonna be an issue for me as the viv is really big and wont fit through doors. And its in the living room so gonna stink the place out.
Old 30-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Ultra Citizen
Location: Fullers.... 'cos I'm definately not on this earth!!
Reviews: 4

Use glass to line it and seal all edges.... simples when ya knows how...

There's a fine line between a hobby and mental illness... I think I just crossed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McToons View Post
Yes it's true I read about this myself along with the picture it displayed...

It's being called the Giganticus bullicrapius.
Old 30-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Ultra Citizen

ye I understand. could varnish it and leave a small fan blowing all night and leave a window open :s that's the only thing I can think off. just make sure all the doors are shut and there are no animals allowed in there.