My community viv - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat > Habitat Pictures

Old 25-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Regular
Default My community viv

All ready for the livestock which will be Green Anoles,Asian long tailed lizards,American green tree frogs,Possibly fire bellied toads ,Giant millipedes and maybe house geckos its 4 ft high 3ft wide and 2 feet deep and has a mistking misting system fitted
[IMG][/IMG]

Any comments good or bad are welcome ,as for the stock im working closely with Snakes and Adders reptile shop in Sheffield
ChaCha likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Wow....you have to keep us up to date......so jealous.......stunning....
mojothelizard likes this.
Old 25-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

This makes me very sad, and even sadder that a shop with a good reputation would be telling you it was a good idea, or supporting you with livestock for such an endeavour.

It's such a beautiful setup that you've clearly put a lot of work into, and it's a shame that animals will suffer in it. Please consider doing more research on the subject, especially on the toxicity of fire bellied toads, the stress levels of green tree frogs, and the aggressiveness of communally kept anoles, coupled with the size of an enclosure that is needed to make communal enclosures work (hint: zoo size).

Furthermore all the animals you're talking about getting will be WC (the fbt's may be CB, but fairly unlikely), so if you do decide to do it, remember that stress (which is what bundling a bunch of species into a relatively small space will cause) compounded with the likelihood of internal parasites on WC species kills quickly. If you do mix them, please introduce them one species at a time, with each species having several months to adjust to the space and each other and to ensure that their parasite loads are not overwhelming.

I am not saying this to be mean, or rude, you did say negative comments were okay.. with 20 years of experience in the industry I have seen many, many, many animals die due to communal setups and it's one of the things that I find quite upsetting because there is no need for it.

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Forum Citizen

Nice setup but after reading comments above ....I have so much to learn.....just thought it looked nice never thought about what was goin to be in there.......learning all the time thanks.....like constructive comments.....well done...
Old 25-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Regular

Yes I take all your points on board and I have read and read and read the ups and downs and Def will NOT be introducing all at once, I'm not sure I want the toads anyway, as far as I have read given the space, temperature and species introduced it is possible to have a happy viv I will add a little at a time as suggested by the shop and it will take months he also told me most will be WC, I won't be having more than one male lizard wise to stop fighting I will keep this thread updated and will gladly listen to opinion
demon3000 likes this.
Old 25-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Forum Citizen

Nice thread.....very friendly.....well done...... Still like set up so well done...
Old 26-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athravan View Post
This makes me very sad, and even sadder that a shop with a good reputation would be telling you it was a good idea, or supporting you with livestock for such an endeavour.

It's such a beautiful setup that you've clearly put a lot of work into, and it's a shame that animals will suffer in it. Please consider doing more research on the subject, especially on the toxicity of fire bellied toads, the stress levels of green tree frogs, and the aggressiveness of communally kept anoles, coupled with the size of an enclosure that is needed to make communal enclosures work (hint: zoo size).

Furthermore all the animals you're talking about getting will be WC (the fbt's may be CB, but fairly unlikely), so if you do decide to do it, remember that stress (which is what bundling a bunch of species into a relatively small space will cause) compounded with the likelihood of internal parasites on WC species kills quickly. If you do mix them, please introduce them one species at a time, with each species having several months to adjust to the space and each other and to ensure that their parasite loads are not overwhelming.

I am not saying this to be mean, or rude, you did say negative comments were okay.. with 20 years of experience in the industry I have seen many, many, many animals die due to communal setups and it's one of the things that I find quite upsetting because there is no need for it.
i have decided not to have the anoles or the fire bellied toads but wondered whether that means i can have more of the long tailed lizards,i will be keeping the American green tree frogs and giant millipedes does this sound like a more acceptable set up?

Steve

Tags
community vivarium