New albino california kingsnake vivarium. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat > Habitat Pictures

Old 30-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Regular
Default New albino california kingsnake vivarium.

So, I think I'm nearly done with my first vivarium. It's been a long slog. Anything anyone can think of to tweak it further? (just to add - it's for a kingsnake that I'll be getting on Friday).

It's a handmade vivarium that I brought second hand, along with the driftwood, cork tube and half log. The two hides (bottom left and top right) are hand made with slate (and in the case of the left hand one, its over a frame made from ceramic tiles). The sloping shelf is just tiles glued onto an old CD rack.

The top of the left hand hide and the shelf both read around 30"c using a temp gun. And heat provided by an Arcadia Deep Heat Projector In a Komodo ceramic holder inside a large guard. The substrate is lignocel (that's the contents of an entire 25litre bag, and thinking of topping it up with another).

There is another hide being built which has twice the height of the existing one but having to take a break from that at the moment. I am contemplating adding another set of the vines in each corner as well as one down each of the central columns.

Any constructive ideas to tweaks it further please?

Sorry in advance for any/all stupid questions but then the only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I'm also blogging about the journey along the way - https://firstsnakejourney.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2018, 02:57 PM

I've enjoyed your posts and pleased you're nearly there!

I know nothing about snakes, but just wondered whether he could get himself jammed into the cd rack at all?
FirstSnakeJourney likes this.
Old 30-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post

I know nothing about snakes, but just wondered whether he could get himself jammed into the cd rack at all?
I did consider this but I don't think so but open to corrections on that. It's the bottom galf of one like this one - This French Art Deco Coat Rack Is No Longer Available, Art Deco Coat Rack - Mauri Ziopecoraro - so open to everything.

Sorry in advance for any/all stupid questions but then the only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I'm also blogging about the journey along the way - https://firstsnakejourney.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Premier Member

I would be slightly concerned about the homemade CD rack hide. What glue was used? There is a risk of fumes being released from the heat. Also a risk of the glue giving up and the tiles falling.
Another concern for me is the temperature that the tiles may get to be under a ceramic heater.
And finally it's too open to be a hide.
I personally wouldn't use it.
You could add in a few branches to allow the snake to climb too.
Otherwise it's looking good.
Old 31-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Postaholic Member

As above really .. they will use any branches you put in there .. I hot glue mine into place .

I find all the branches from the local parks and woods .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Postaholic Member

Oh and depending on the colour of the snake you may be better changing to dark coloured Orchid / Reptile bark if it's a light coloured snake ...

See the difference it makes ...

Old 31-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
I would be slightly concerned about the homemade CD rack hide. What glue was used? There is a risk of fumes being released from the heat. Also a risk of the glue giving up and the tiles falling.
Another concern for me is the temperature that the tiles may get to be under a ceramic heater.
And finally it's too open to be a hide.
I personally wouldn't use it.
You could add in a few branches to allow the snake to climb too.
Otherwise it's looking good.
Everything has been stuck together using a glue gun. My research indicated this would be safe to use or have I seriously mucked up as that would mean I'd have to throw all the hides away too?

The cd rack/tiles are not a hide and I never said it was it's more of a "shelf" to get a little extra height and a little more surface area - the hide is the bottom left object made from slate as per my original post (which may be too small and hence currently making a larger one). I just figured it was something to climb on and get a little extra height. (I did want to stand it vertically but it's slightly too long and I don't have the tools to cut it down and make it safe). I'm on the look out for something to go between the two "pillars" to act as a climbing structure but I have also told that kingsnakes are less likely to be inclinded to climb than say a corn snake would be.

Temperature wise - I've been checking regularly - the very top of the "shelf" is pretty much always around 31c (and I have doubts that my temp gun is 100% accurate and may be reading a little high but want to do some more testing to be sure before I order a replacement and send that back) and the bottom end about 24c (but I'm still in the "burn in period" with the heater - which is not a ceramic btw).

(of course this all depends if I still get the kingsnake or not - there's an issue where I'd be getting it from and some other red flags have been thrown up lately too)

Old 31-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
I was almost there...

They're not releasing anything out for adoption at the moment (and next 2 to 3 weeks) due to mites. (fair play to them for not passing on a potentially sick animal - just chaffing at the delay)

Old 31-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
As above really .. they will use any branches you put in there .. I hot glue mine into place .
So are you advocating removal of the cd-rack "shelf" as well?

(I'm asking as if there's enough people saying it's a bad idea - then it's a bad idea. I'm not going to immediately dismiss an idea just because only one person says "you shouldn't do that").

At least I'm not the only person to have used hot glue. Having to throw everything away would have "hurt".

Old 31-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Postaholic Member
Default New albino california kingsnake vivarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSnakeJourney View Post
So are you advocating removal of the cd-rack "shelf" as well?

(I'm asking as if there's enough people saying it's a bad idea - then it's a bad idea. I'm not going to immediately dismiss an idea just because only one person says "you shouldn't do that").

At least I'm not the only person to have used hot glue. Having to throw everything away would have "hurt".

Na .... as a shelf / layer it's fine as along as there are no sharp edges and the snake can't get trapped anywhere .... personally I'd make the rack more natural by attaching some fake silk /plastic foliage though .

Hot glue is fabulous stuff .. it's strong and durable ( and safe ) whilst being non-permanent.