Ultimate Leopard Gecko anti-impaction Solution! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat > Habitat Pictures

Old 29-12-2008, 03:43 AM
Premier Member
Default Ultimate Leopard Gecko anti-impaction Solution!

Lol.. OK so I may have already posted this in the habitat section but I didnt really know where it would benefit people most... sooo maybe a little over dramatic with the title... but anyhoo I wanted to make a better use of the vertical space I had in my leo vivs (as pretty much all of mine seem to think they are arboreal..) plus I HATE kitchen roll as its hideous and not at all similar to their natural habitat... but I will never risk impaction - SO I decided to make a fake rock background to give them better use of the height of the viv (Not to mention look better! Lol)

Here is how the viv looked before hand - kitchen roll substrate, three moist hides (this is an old pic and missing those out..but they are basically just three cricket boxes with moss in them..) and some cork bark and sticks and non-deserty plants etc..

STEP ONE - are you absolutely, positively, completely certain that you have a hoover?!?!?!?!?!

STEP TWO - Get a shed load of polystyrene sheets and toothpicks - create three layer background or whatever you like (hoover will DEFINITELY be needed here) I made two hides at either end that can hold a cricket box (to make two moist hides!) - these can be accessed from the sides. I then glued all the bits together with epoxy resin.

STEP THREE - Grout. Lots of it. First layer needs to be really runny to get in all the cracks. Leave to dry for 24 hours.

STEP FOUR - Next layer of grout. I put some black acrylic in it so i can tell where ive grouted before - this layer is thicker. Leave for 24 hours.

STEP FIVE - Next layer of grout (see a pattern emerging here?) this time i added red acrylic to see where ive grouted before.. but also partly for my own amusement. Leave for 24 hours.

STEP SIX - Final layer of grout! Hurrah! (this time yellow.. hehe) Leave for 24 hours.

STEP SEVEN - Paint in a fairly dark red colour, then cover in PVA glue and sand (do two layers of this! leaving it to dry each time) then put glue on top again to avoid ANY risk of impaction i also glue&sanded the bases on two of the fake cacti i have so they blend in better.

STEP EIGHT - Glue on real air plants and put the water dish/food dish/calcium dish and fake cacti on wherever you fancy. Also put two moist hide/cricket tubs in each end (make sure the leo's dont sneak down the sides by packing it out with kitchen roll around the cricket boxes)

STEP NINE - Acquire decent camera for xmas, and take pics for you lot

Upon trying to get it in the viv, I found out that (even though I left an inch space around each side including the height..) the background is too tall!! So I cut the top off, ive not decided whether to just leave it off or leave it just left on top as it is now.. Lol...

The viv is heated from overhead by a ceramic bulb and a normal bulb additionally during the day.

Anything ive left out or any questions/constructive criticisms please feel free!
malykot likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
I cant be bothered with people like that anymore....i just burry them in the garden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Premier Citizen

that is absolutly amazing Think you should make me one as im blonde and would never be able to do that ha ha
Old 29-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 9

Thats really good i dont think i could do it though looks fiddly. Good work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serz View Post
that is absolutly amazing Think you should make me one as im blonde and would never be able to do that ha ha
Hey! im as blonde as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
Thats really good i dont think i could do it though looks fiddly. Good work
Its not that fiddly... just do it at 2am like i did with a pint or ten (always looks a little wonkier in the morning.. lol)

Quote:
I cant be bothered with people like that anymore....i just burry them in the garden
Old 29-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Hatchling

that is soo cool might have to do that for my beardie how strong is it when its finshed?
R.I.P Gerri my veiled chameleon

Check out my lizards and tell me what you think.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/membe...01-albums.html
Old 29-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo101 View Post
that is soo cool might have to do that for my beardie how strong is it when its finshed?

remarkably so! it couldnt support the weight of a human but it would easily support the weight of a beardie or even some monitors. its surprisingly heavy with all the grout on and feels like real rock. You should definitely try it!

Quote:
Old 29-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chondro13 View Post
Its not that fiddly... just do it at 2am like i did with a pint or ten (always looks a little wonkier in the morning.. lol)
No way did you do that after a night of mayhem
You'd be on your ass after one
Old 29-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
No way did you do that after a night of mayhem
You'd be on your ass after one

lol! it wasnt done after id gone out on the lash! it was quiet nights in with beers and or bottle(s) of wine..

i put it down to this that the whole thing was an inch too high to fit into the viv

Quote:
Old 29-12-2008, 09:04 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to linda.t

you've made a great job it's brill, but for me the lights and ceramic are a no no.

Old 30-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda.t View Post
you've made a great job it's brill, but for me the lights and ceramic are a no no.

fair enough, each to there own but any particular reason why? They absorb heat through their bellys which is what a heat mat is normally used for - the ceramic heat bulb heats the floor in the same way a mat does (just from above not below! and as i have three layers i needed heat to each one which can be done with overhead bulbs not with a mat). I was originally worried about not using a mat but to be honest i actually prefer it this way as the bulb is easier to control to an exact temperature.

Quote: