DIY Leopard Gecko Viv Project. - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Regular

When I was cutting out the holes for the lids, I made a boo boo.
I took a chunk out of the side of my top layer so now it doesn't fit snug into the viv.

But***8230;

I think I have repaired it with the help of making a new chunk for the side and Gorilla Glue. So I am just keeping it all taped so it sets.

I will get working on the rest once this has dried.

This place is alot quieter than back when I made my first viv build, has members left over the years?

Last edited by SirLance; 07-01-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 02:36 AM
Regular

Lids are carved.

Now to see how it looks inside the viv…

Now I just have to figure out how to decorate the walls and still be able to lift the two layers of ground in and out of the tank for cleaning and stuff.

Let me know what you guys think, have not really had much feedback so far.
CloudForest likes this.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Hatchling

I really like it buddy. I am looking forward to the finished article.
What are your thoughts for substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Regular

This is coming along great, really different to the usual fake rock backgrounds out there. For the walls, what about painting them the same colour as you plan to paint the floor and hides so that it blends in, and maybe add a few fake rock ledges for texture. Would also give the gecko a little climbing area? Just a thought
Rogue665 likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Forum Citizen

Any updates? looks great so far.

Salamanders and geckos
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kerr View Post
I really like it buddy. I am looking forward to the finished article.
What are your thoughts for substrate?
Using a piece of vinyl, actually got a little off cut piece today at a carpet shop, got charged a fiver for. LOL Nothing is for free after all.

My girlfriend is using vinyl now with her gecko and its easy to wipe, the heatmat gets it nice and warm.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Regular

Update.

This week I am going to work on the walls, I have an idea on what to do.

I am going to cut pieces of foam the size of the walls, do some carving, then buy strong magnets and attach one to the wood and counter sink the other into the foam so that when both are connected they are hidden inside the foam and sit flush with the walls. This way it also means everything inside the tank is removable, incase I ever want to put a whole new build inside it in the future.

I don't know if that makes any sense to read, but I will be putting pictures up once I get a start on it. This week I should get the 3 walls carved.

Just wanted to ask a question in regards to lighting. My girlfriend doesn't have a light with her gecko as it's facing a window and her room gets a lot of light. My room, depending on the time of year can be rather dull as my window is on the same wall as the vivarium.
I was wondering what lighting could I look for that would not be strong or too bright for the gecko, if I do decide to use lighting?

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 13-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Regular
Default Amazing

Have just read your last build post for the beardie, and am loving the work you have done so far on the leo viv.

I am hoping to get my very first leos soon and whilst my setup will be basic to start you have inspired me as a longer term project to dust off my creative hat and diy skills.
Old 13-01-2015, 12:58 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance View Post
Using a piece of vinyl,
After looking through this thread and thinking how good it could look, all natural and that, you go and drop some vinyl in it? Wouldn't be my choice but I suppose we all choose what we have for a reason. It looks great and I'm sure it will look good even with the vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance View Post
Just wanted to ask a question in regards to lighting. My girlfriend doesn't have a light with her gecko as it's facing a window and her room gets a lot of light. My room, depending on the time of year can be rather dull as my window is on the same wall as the vivarium.
I was wondering what lighting could I look for that would not be strong or too bright for the gecko, if I do decide to use lighting?
I would go with a UV lighting setup, simple.

Gavin.
Old 14-01-2015, 05:16 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavgav04 View Post
After looking through this thread and thinking how good it could look, all natural and that, you go and drop some vinyl in it? Wouldn't be my choice but I suppose we all choose what we have for a reason. It looks great and I'm sure it will look good even with the vinyl.
We do indeed, I need something to place over the heat mat inside the viv. Vinyl is easy to clean, cheap and it also gets rid of any loose substrate eating worrying (not that I have ever had this problem) cleanliness is the main one. I love CLEAN... *coughs*OCD*coughs*

There's only a tiny amount of floor space and I will paint the lino to blend in with the rocks.

Carving these damn walls is a pain though.

Tags
diy vivarium , fake rock , leopard gecko