DIY Leopard Gecko Viv Project. - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 20-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Regular

Carving the walls.

So spent this week trying to come up with a way of carving the walls for the viv. I was trying to go for a "everything in the viv can be removable" approach, but I just was not happy with how the carved panels looked in with the floor. I did like the carving but they didn't go together and the panel was too thick.

So I just said screw it I'm sticking carvings to the wall, so I cut out some shapes and tried to carve them in such a way that hopefully gives the impression that the surrounding wall is rounding at the corners and makes it feel more enclosed.

Grouting is the next step.
jacklyn, Viqer Fell and dps51 like this.

Old 23-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Regular

Grouting is all done.

3-4 layers of grout done, I had to leave a slant on the sides bare, so I can slide the floor in and out for cleaning and stuff. It should look better when painted as it can all be blended in.

I seen a T-Rex skull that I want to get and put in there aswell, it looked so cool. lol

Just waiting for my paints to come in the post now.
jacklyn and Mark Kerr like this.
Old 27-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Regular

Painting - Base Coat.

This is 2 thick coats of white gesso. I have covered everything, this will help for when the real detailed painting is started but it also helps act as a way of stopping the small crumbles of grout (I used concrete grout, which has a rough texture) and it also tames a bit of that roughness that comes with it and now it feels a lot solider.

At the moment it looks like a snow land. LOL Would suit a mack snow maybe

It's really starting to take shape now. Almost finished, the main painting will be started this weekend.
Mark Kerr likes this.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Regular

Started main painting.

I want the whole inside of the tank to be like a creepy dark, dirty cave. I started with a dark grey all over the inside.

I then looked at a few different really dark caves and dark stones while on walks, I seen alot with tints of green and redy brown. So my misses showed me how to dry brush. I dry brushed these colours on first and then went over the whole thing with a white dry brush, which picked up the texture from the grout, giving it the stone look it needed.

I then got my old lady to do her thing and go over it and refine some of the painting(shes a way better painter than me) She really made it pop more than what I done.

Just varnish to do on the interiors, then paint the actual wood black on the outside and get everything together and fitted.
pigeon and Mark Kerr like this.
Old 16-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Regular

Tank all painted on the outside.

Heatmat fitted, the thermostat probe has a hole next to the heatmat's hole, it will rest on the top of the vinyl and the fake rock layers will keep it in place.

I also got my T-Rex skull I wanted, I love dinosaurs and with the new jurassic park coming out, I just had to get it and it should make for a nice hide.

I am super pleased with the results, I wanted it to look like the inside of a cave, with mini caves for the gecko's hides. I cant wait to get a photo of it popping its head out of the borrow on top of the surface.

I have only put the light in quickly so I could get some pictures of the viv, I am using a white python daylight white led with a dimmer.

I have no sockets left on my wall for the tank(only one on the damn wall, which is being used by the bearded dragons tank.)
Have an electrician coming out this week at some point to fit me 2 double sockets, so I have plenty for the future.

Hope you guys like it and I cant wait to have pics of a gecko in it.
Grimble76 likes this.
Old 21-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Regular

It's business time baby!

I have a 3 more sockets than I had before, my electrician is the man and a good laugh.

And here she sits on top of my last build with my Beardie relaxing on her ledge.

Let me know what you guys think, now that its all done.
I will post a pic in here when I finally get a leopard gecko, looking a mack snow eclipse.

Hope you guys liked it and hope it helps any future viv builders.
pigeon, wezza309, jimmer7 and 5 others like this.
Old 23-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Forum Citizen

well done....they both look great
Old 24-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Regular

Now with the viv built, I have been spending the day getting temps, I have temp readings from every hide(except for the moist hide as I have nothing in it yet)

Today the temperature outside in Northern Ireland is 4c (bloody freezing walking the dog)

My rooms temp with the House Heating off : 17 - 18c.
House Heating on: 20 - 22c

Vivs Air temps (probe on the top surface)
With House Heating off : 17.7c
House Heating on: 21.5, now the House Heating has been off for 3 hours its staying at 22.1c

Warm Hide(cave under the Trex skull)
33.4c

Small cool hide(cave right next to the warm hide)
26.1c

Big cool hide(front cave on the opposite side)
23.4c

From reading around all over the place the past few months the temperatures of the hides seem ok. Just wanted to know what you guys thought of it all.
Also what should the humidity level be when I get the moist hide kitted out and what substrate do you guys like to use. I have been looking at coco fiber bricks, what do you think to this or the moss?

Thanks for the likes also guys.

Last edited by SirLance; 24-02-2015 at 06:16 PM..
Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 AM
Regular

My girlfriend let her leo stay in my new tank over the weekend. And he was having the best time in it, went from hide to hide, hunted and pooed. LOL
And he used the borrow I made that leads to the surface!

Viqer Fell likes this.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Hatchling

Both fantastic vivs. Well done.

Tags
diy vivarium , fake rock , leopard gecko