Native woods and mosses etc in a viv? Risky? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 15-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Super Regular
Default Native woods and mosses etc in a viv? Risky?

Hi everyone, I'm about to set up some bio active vivs, I've been trying to do as much research as possible on using native or home collected woods etc, There was some very useful info here back in 2012 about moss, general opinion was that it was fine to add- but checked for snails and centipedes, even though it was unlikely to grow well in a viv, but posed no real health risk/threat to lizards and snakes, but they mentioned a risk of disease to amphibians. I don't know what diseases / parasites we have here that would affect reps etc? I want to include some pieces of roots and branches from the woods here, i can hose them and brush off bits and pieces but are they o.k going in or should they be steamed or baked. There's an article about bio active vivs and she says she doesn't clean anything and it's fine. Love to know your opinion. Thanks ever so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Forum Citizen

I have used moss and leaves from back garden with no problems. Also used my own woodlice and worms from garden as it has had no chemicals in it I've never used any weedkillers.....as for the wood I collected from local parks and placed in garden for a couple of weeks before adding to viv.....my crestie seems fine with all these additions.......
Old 26-10-2015, 10:21 PM
Super Regular

Hi there, thanks for the reply, it's funny how things change because peopl used to say you had to bake wood and steam and sterilise things but now with bio active vivs too it seems much more relaxed so I will definitely use gathered natural items, thankfully I live next to a deserted woodland and it's free of chemicals, etc so collecting should be a little easier. slugs and centipedes will be banned though. Many thanks , makes me not worry now. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Super Regular

You do have to be a little bit careful if you're dealing with amphibians, it's relatively easy and cheap to buy anything you need now but try to use things that haven't had contact with the ground if you are going to collect your own decor etc.
Cicindela likes this.