How to care for moss in a vivarium - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 13-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Regular
Default How to care for moss in a vivarium

I decided to try and add some carpet moss I got from
Dart frog. This type is supposed to be manageable and not overwhelme the viv. As I'm new to this game I'd like some pointers from anyone who keeps moss along with crestied geckos. I know it can take up to 5 weeks for the moss to attach. In the mean time how often should I water the moss ? As soon as I added it the humidity shot up big time. Is that a bad thing ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Premier Member

It's harder than it seems actually.

I find that a 'flood and drain' approach works. So twice daily heavy watering and then allowed to dry through.

It also requires more light than some suggest and will certainly take a few months to establish.

Carpet and cushion moss tends to do best

I then feed it with a bio-active food by digging it in around the base and with the food in solution,

Hope this helps
wagg and Ex0tic like this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 17-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
It's harder than it seems actually.

I find that a 'flood and drain' approach works. So twice daily heavy watering and then allowed to dry through.

It also requires more light than some suggest and will certainly take a few months to establish.

Carpet and cushion moss tends to do best

I then feed it with a bio-active food by digging it in around the base and with the food in solution,

Hope this helps
Thanks mate I might consider it again in the future. I tried it the other day but the humidity shot right up too high for my liking and never came down until I took it out. Probably due to my already very humid bedroom. Back to the drawing board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Premier Member

It is common for humidity levels to rise and then fall back as the system settles.

It always happens

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com