Crested gecko Terrarium - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 04-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Egg
Default Crested gecko Terrarium

Hello all,

Newbie here due to pick up my crested gecko on Monday, and have a few concerns about heating the Terrarium.
I have a cold house even with central heating. My Terrarium is comming with the day/night Led (Exo-TERRA) which I know is only for lighting at day and night and gives off no heat.
So my plan is to have a heat mat attached to outside of Terrarium near the top hope to create a decent temp during the day of around 28c, I was thinking of using MicroClimate B2ME Pulse Proportional Stat 600W Reptile Thermostat Magic Eye to keep it at this temp in the day and then have a 5c drop at night.
What are people thoughts on this?
Do people recommend I wait until I get the crested and see what my room temperature will be!? Or on the other hand get ride of the led and go for the thermo Stat with a ceramic bulb over hanging the Terrarium??

Many thanks on anyone's help that replies!
The Terrarium will be 18''x18"x24"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Egg

also what are peoples thoughts on bioactive Terrariums.

are you ok to just have substrate bioactive with fake plants ?
as having real plants would i need a bulb for these ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gann82 View Post
Hello all,

Newbie here due to pick up my crested gecko on Monday, and have a few concerns about heating the Terrarium.
I have a cold house even with central heating. My Terrarium is comming with the day/night Led (Exo-TERRA) which I know is only for lighting at day and night and gives off no heat.
So my plan is to have a heat mat attached to outside of Terrarium near the top hope to create a decent temp during the day of around 28c, I was thinking of using MicroClimate B2ME Pulse Proportional Stat 600W Reptile Thermostat Magic Eye to keep it at this temp in the day and then have a 5c drop at night.
What are people thoughts on this?
Do people recommend I wait until I get the crested and see what my room temperature will be!? Or on the other hand get ride of the led and go for the thermo Stat with a ceramic bulb over hanging the Terrarium??

Many thanks on anyone's help that replies!
The Terrarium will be 18''x18"x24"
Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Ultra Citizen

Heating sounds oki. Could use a ceramic bulb instead uo to you. Id set it for 26 degress tho. Never used that exo terra led so wouldnt know how well it would do growing plants.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Egg

Thanks for the reply. Thought about heatmat as maybe less risk of fire when heating unattended.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Egg

any ideas on what are best plants ? i have heard ficus , any particular one ?
Old 06-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Premier Member

A heat mat will not be enough. They do not warm the air, they are contact heaters. Get a ceramic heater, and a solid dome to fit it into. Put this on top of the tank so that the gecko cannot come into contact with it. If you are using live plants you will need appropriate lighting for their growth, and a Uv source for the gecko.
I would also suggest a bigger tank, 18 x 18 x 24 is a bit small for a crestie.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Egg
Default newbie crestie setup

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

any thoughts much appreciated!!!

thanks
Old 09-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Egg
Default another pic

Old 06-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Forum Citizen

Would definitely go for a ceramic heat emitter and forget about the heat mat. They are only suitable for species who live on the floor (leos etc).
I'm about to set up another bioactive crestie setup, sooooo much fun!

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...step-step.html
Old 20-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Egg

Hey fellow newbie hope your crestie is doing okay! I found that I struggled keeping my room at a stable safe temperature for my crestie (teetering on the cold side) so I would recommend getting a low watt ceramic heater, reflector and pulse stat if you haven't already! I went for an exo terra 40w heater since the little guys don't need REALLY high temps and mine enjoys climbing on the mesh lid near the lamp.

Sadly a heat mat doesn't really do much for a viv' ambient temp. It's worth investing in a heater- especially if your room can get a little chilly it's worth it knowing your little guy won't get cold