plantation soil smells like rotten eggs! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N.I
Posts: 426
Default plantation soil smells like rotten eggs!

I recently started using plantation soil for my GALS. I spot clean the tub as often as possible and do a full clean around once a month

I cleaned the tub out today and the smell was unreal! like rotten eggs! it was so strong it gave me a headache

When i opened the tub there was no smell but when i moved the soil to empty it out it was horrible

any suggestions as to why this happened or what it was?

Many Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Regular
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Stanley, County Durham
Posts: 55
Default

Its probably too wet, add a drainage layer to allow the soil to drain any stagnant water will cause it to rot
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Tarron's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coningsby, Lincs
Posts: 2,978
Default

As said above, probably too wet, and the substrate will be getting stagnant leading to a build up in anaerobic bacteria in the soil, which gives the eggy smell.

Try adding a drainage layer as well as springtails, woodlice and earthworms to help turn the soil, break down waste and keep it smelling a little fresher
__________________
____________________________________________



www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N.I
Posts: 426
Default

Do you mean by adding rocks/stones on the bottom?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calli1984 View Post
Its probably too wet, add a drainage layer to allow the soil to drain any stagnant water will cause it to rot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarron View Post
As said above, probably too wet, and the substrate will be getting stagnant leading to a build up in anaerobic bacteria in the soil, which gives the eggy smell.

Try adding a drainage layer as well as springtails, woodlice and earthworms to help turn the soil, break down waste and keep it smelling a little fresher
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Tarron's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coningsby, Lincs
Posts: 2,978
Default

Yes, something like HyroRocks under the substrate, then a drainage mesh in between the HydroRocks and Substrate to keep them separate but allow water through.

This will prevent the substrate water logging.
__________________
____________________________________________



www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarron View Post
Yes, something like HyroRocks under the substrate, then a drainage mesh in between the HydroRocks and Substrate to keep them separate but allow water through.

This will prevent the substrate water logging.
Just as an extension to this, you can use pretty much any ceramic balls you can get from gardens centers and any weed blocker that allows liquids through. Obviously try and find out if there are any added chemicals etc... and wash and sterilize anything going in.

I currently use the swell own branded stuff and it works just as well as more expensive types.
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-hydro-rocks/
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-hydro-rocks/

Cheers,
TM
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Tarron's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coningsby, Lincs
Posts: 2,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Man View Post
Just as an extension to this, you can use pretty much any ceramic balls you can get from gardens centers and any weed blocker that allows liquids through. Obviously try and find out if there are any added chemicals etc... and wash and sterilize anything going in.

I currently use the swell own branded stuff and it works just as well as more expensive types.
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-hydro-rocks/
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-hydro-rocks/

Cheers,
TM
Bioactive Herps HydroRocks are cheaper, just sayin'
__________________
____________________________________________



www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 AM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarron View Post
Bioactive Herps HydroRocks are cheaper, just sayin'
I'm going to investigate....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gals , snails

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
plantation soil smells like rotten eggs! marty.twigs Other Pets and Exotics 1 02-07-2017 07:41 PM
Corn snake seriously constipated KyoFetus Snakes 31 20-08-2016 02:00 PM
Corn Snake Eggs Positioning Slinkyy Snakes 6 17-08-2016 04:11 PM
Gecko Eggs - What am i doing wrong? maddy Lizards 6 05-05-2016 06:47 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)