Custom Wood Terrarium Safe to Create Custom Waterfall? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 17-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Hatchling
Default Custom Wood Terrarium Safe to Create Custom Waterfall?

Going to be building my own Terrarium to house my two mountain horned dragons. I'll be using aquarium sealant for the joints and yacht varnish to finish.
I'm wanting to have a water table on the wood base so that I can have a custom waterfall and a living terrarium. Would this be enough to waterproof the terrarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazmarr View Post
Going to be building my own Terrarium to house my two mountain horned dragons. I'll be using aquarium sealant for the joints and yacht varnish to finish.
I'm wanting to have a water table on the wood base so that I can have a custom waterfall and a living terrarium. Would this be enough to waterproof the terrarium?
If you search on youtube for 'DIY fishkeeper' he builds an aquarium out of plywood with only glass at the viewing side and waterproofs the rest. He uses fibreglass and boat paint but it is a big and expensive job.

Personally if it has to be a wooden viv I wood line the inside with glass or have a fishtank at the bottom where the water is self contained so does not come in contact with the wood much if at all
Old 23-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Premier Citizen

You could look at using a section of pond liner (or similar) to provide a barrier between the water & the wood.
'When you donít have many friends and you donít have a social life youíre kind of left looking at things, not doing things. Thereís a weird freedom in not having people treat you like youíre part of society or where you have to fulfill social relationships'

~ Tim Burton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

Depends how big the enclosure but you can buy like lil plastic ponds. Could have this in there then back fill around it with the substrate.