how to make heat mats safe - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 22-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Default how to make heat mats safe

after reading a lot on the forum i kept stumbling across putting heat mats under a glass vivarium! does that reduce the risk of burning?
cause if this is so i could get a sheet of glass cut to fit over the heat mat inside a wooden vivarium, that should solve the problem then i think? this way the heat could come out the same way as in a glas vivarium and reduce the risk of burning as there is no direct contact, the mat would of course be attached to a habistat thermostat as well.
any opinions apreaciated.
was looking into getting a royal, but my husband turns out to be a baby so i think to safe him from an early heart atack i will settle for a corn snake as i like them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 20

So long as a matt is statted the risk or burns is significantly reduced. Putting glass over it is more dangerious as the glass is likely to crack and brake. You best bet if your are worried is to keep the matt on a stat and if using a woodn viv then us a cork tile and place that on top of it.

If you get a corn, babies will be kept in tubs anyway, (they will excape from vivs), just put the mat under the tub.

Spike

Keeper of all things pygmy

Staffordshire Exotics Society
Last Sunday of the month
Come along if you are in the area
Next meetings 31st March and 28th April

Old 22-04-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 1
Send a message via MSN to mEOw

heatmats have been known to crack glass... and it wouldnt work anyway...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-04-2008, 03:33 PM

thanks for the replies so far, would they even crack toughend glass?
i am just curious as they seem ok under glass vivs and rubs and like.
am just thinking about possible ways of heating as i bought a 36"x 15" x15" viv and am working on setting this up, once i have everything running to satisfaction i will be looking for a corn snake very likly sub adult or adult we will see, all in good time.
Old 22-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

As long as you have a thermostat attached to the heat mat, there is almost no way this could burn the animal, and the majority of reptile keepers use heat mats inside a wooden viv.

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

Old 22-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Definately need to have it on a stat.
but also use a nice size substrate
If things get too hot on that one spot, could put polystyrene (sp) under the tank, between it and the mat
Old 23-04-2008, 12:20 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopy View Post
was looking into getting a royal, but my husband turns out to be a baby so i think to safe him from an early heart atack i will settle for a corn snake as i like them too.
my other half isnt keen on snakes either- he hates my corn, but i got a baby royal and he doesnt mind him at all! get yer royal- theyre complete wusses and if u get a baby one he wont notice it getting bigger til hes gotten used to it anyway, lol :p
Old 23-04-2008, 02:22 PM

i would, but he is such a girls blouse, and can huff for ever better than any woman, so not worth the arguing
the corn snake he doesnt mind after researching it himself lol looks like he doesnt trust my judgment after the royal enquiries
i will be just as happy with a corn, and you never know, my corgi grew on him and now we have two, so maybe in the future there will be a royal.
latest once the kids moved out as then i can convert their rooms
for now i am trying to set up the 36" viv for a corn snake and will be looking into getting a sub adult or adult.

i am gonna try a heat mat and a repti glow tube see what the temps will be like, as i dont really want to use a spot due to the mere 15" height of the viv, this setup will only be used till late summer as i want to built a viv then and my daughter will get this viv

Last edited by mopy; 23-04-2008 at 02:27 PM..
Old 23-04-2008, 02:51 PM
5 Star Member

I have several 7 stack vivs made of wood, well that contiboard stuff anyway.
All are glassed lined for easy cleaning and all have heat mats under the glass.
There is about a 1 inch gap between the mat and the glass so the mats are not in contact with the glass.
The only stat I have is controlled by a sensor that turns off all the mats when the room temp gets to high.
I normally only use nnewspaper as a substate so the area above the mats never gets much higher than around 30oC.
The mats I use only cover a third or less of the flood space, so the animals can move well away from the heat if they need to.
Putting mats under glass protects the mats and I think I get years more use from them.
Stephen

Old 25-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopy View Post
i would, but he is such a girls blouse, and can huff for ever better than any woman, so not worth the arguing
the corn snake he doesnt mind after researching it himself lol looks like he doesnt trust my judgment after the royal enquiries
i will be just as happy with a corn, and you never know, my corgi grew on him and now we have two, so maybe in the future there will be a royal.
latest once the kids moved out as then i can convert their rooms
for now i am trying to set up the 36" viv for a corn snake and will be looking into getting a sub adult or adult.

i am gonna try a heat mat and a repti glow tube see what the temps will be like, as i dont really want to use a spot due to the mere 15" height of the viv, this setup will only be used till late summer as i want to built a viv then and my daughter will get this viv
My wife is not too keen on snakes either, but i think she will come round, sounds like your husband would too if he actually got used to the idea of the royal being around.

Keep at him he may give in