Lights and red eyed snakes - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 20-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Regular
Default Lights and red eyed snakes

Over the course of all my research (and now wanting to "nail down" my shopping list) I've seen various references that extra/certain kinds of lighting may not be tolerated by the red-eyed (so I'm guessing primarily anything with Amelianistic showing in their genetics?) snakes. (this is in particular reference to corn snakes - nearly every morph that has caught my eye is amelianistic).

How much of a problem do people find this with their own snakes?

Thanks

(apologies if this should have been in the snake forum. Posted here as it's habitat related but so much overlap it's hard to know).

Sorry in advance for any/all stupid questions but then the only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I'm also blogging about the journey along the way - https://firstsnakejourney.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Premier Member

This is a very good question and one that deserves a good answer.

Firstly, we must realise that every species has changed and adapted over vast time within the home range in order to be able to thrive in that environment. Every factor and interaction of 'energy', being contained in light and of course food is utilised within great synergy. The animal has therefore developed to use this energy in the way that best suits its position within that environment. These 'Parameters of supply' have therefore become the 'need'. The base level in which a species has to be exposed to, or the level of ingestible nutrition that it requires to function as its developmental pathway dictates.

If we enact a level of imbalance in any or all of these parameters of supply we cause a level of imbalance in every area of the body.

The animal has a base need and is well equipped to satisfy that need. This need does not change regardless of time spent in captivity or how many generations of CB stock it has been produced from. Nor does it change when we select for colour. (the ethics of which we will not discuss in this thread).

In reality, with selecting for colour we alter the natural balance of the wild form and in certain forms the ability for that individual to use such energy.

Red eyed variants will be light sensitive with regard to vision, and also in many cases will lack the natural defences of the skin which have developed to allow the animal to benefit in full from full-spectrum terrestrial daylight without risk of harm to the body.

We have changed the way that an animal can assimilate natural energy but cannot change its base need. This can lead to an imbalance within 'Overall-nutrition'.

As with all biological imbalance, if we cause and imbalance in one parameter of supply it will have wide ranging ripples of further imbalance in most if not every other process and cycle. Biological function, just like nutrition is bound in to a deep synergy with every action and interaction relying in some way on the next and every other one.

However, we see great resilience in captive animals as the need to survive is great. We even seen adaptation within captive animals as they seek to find the energy that they need. As example, it is quite common for red eyed or sensitive animals to continue to bask in captivity but whilst hiding the head in a cave or burrow.

We see this commonly in Leopard Geckos and with those that keep Corns and Royals and quite rightly choose to use UV systems. If we provide the light thoughtfully, being a replicated full-spectrum+UV-B source, and we provide it in a way that is natural to the animals needs whilst allowing the animal to use it comfortably, they usually tend to.

Hope this helps explain the why and how for you

John

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 21-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
This is a very good question and one that deserves a good answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
However, we see great resilience in captive animals as the need to survive is great. We even seen adaptation within captive animals as they seek to find the energy that they need. As example, it is quite common for red eyed or sensitive animals to continue to bask in captivity but whilst hiding the head in a cave or burrow.

Many thanks for such a comprehensive answer. Apologies for the snip above but my eyes seemed to focus in on that paragraph. So would I be wrong in interpreting that as "continue to look at providing additional light and let the animal do it's own thing" or is that an over simplification? (though observations and learning it's ways/habits over time as an owner may later dictate further modifications - so nothing is ever set in stone).

Sorry in advance for any/all stupid questions but then the only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I'm also blogging about the journey along the way - https://firstsnakejourney.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Premier Member

I always feel it best to provide it in a safe and measured way and then adjust the decoration to suit the animal. It can then decide when and where and for how long it allows exposure.

Some morphs for example simply will not tolerate any light such as the Enigma Leo. Most however are fine.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSnakeJourney View Post
Many thanks for such a comprehensive answer. Apologies for the snip above but my eyes seemed to focus in on that paragraph. So would I be wrong in interpreting that as "continue to look at providing additional light and let the animal do it's own thing" or is that an over simplification? (though observations and learning it's ways/habits over time as an owner may later dictate further modifications - so nothing is ever set in stone).
FirstSnakeJourney likes this.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com