Cleaning/disinfecting second hand equipment - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 19-10-2018, 08:07 PM
Regular
Default Cleaning/disinfecting second hand equipment

Apologies for the newbie questions , I've tried searching but not seen any appropriately titled threads.

I'm now starting to get a vivarium ready for my first snake. I brought it second hand and it came with a few pieces of decoration that I'm not going to throw away (buying similar new is likely to be in the region of £75 upwards). And whilst I'm sure that the previous owner cleaned everything after they moved to their new vivarium - I'm of the mindset that if I clean everything (again) myself then I know 100% that it's been done. (to clarify - there is no snake in the vivarium at the moment, and won't be for about a fortnight).

The question is how?

I'm planning to give the vivarium itself a good wash down with a very weak bleach solution before wiping down a few more times with just water (and then a spray with the ready diluted F10 just to be sure once that arrives next week - which I understand can just be left on and doesn't need wiping down afterwards but please correct me if I am wrong on that). Is this going to be OK or is there a better solution? I did contemplate using the steam cleaner I have but it's a MDF/Furniture board vivarium and being second hand, it has various holes already and I don't want to run the risk of the steam ungluing the covering the veneer.

The decorations (a nice sized piece of driftwood and a half log),, I'm contemplating soaking in a bleach solution for a few hours, rinse, brush off the any loosened dirt, and then soak in just water to try and leach out/dilute any Bleach that soaked in. (rinse and repeat a time or two). Then leave to dry (may see if i can get them in a low oven to force any water out). Again - any thoughts if this is the right way please? (I'll also be giving them a spray of F10 once dry).

There's also a cork tube. I suspect that this won't take to being soaked (if that is even the right way forward) too well? Will ot be sufficient to give it a good brush (outside and inside where I can reach) and spray with F10 - maybe after a bake in the oven.

Thanks in advance. Again apologies for the newbie questions but trying to do the right things.

Sorry in advance for any/all stupid questions but then the only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I'm also blogging about the journey along the way - https://firstsnakejourney.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement