Help with heating - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 13-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Egg
Default Help with heating

I'm finishing my first bioactive tank which I plan to put giant day geckos in and could do with some advice regarding heating. I only have an arcadia DHP at the moment at point 1 which is on a thermostat (A) but even if it's on all the time I can only achieve 75 degrees at point A and B and 65 degrees at point C. It was also burning the plants at the top and the humidity was at 60%. I have bought a mistking to solve the humidity issue but what would be the best thing as another heat source? A ceramic heater? Tank is 90 x 90 x 45 and also has a 22w jungle dawn and 6% T5

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Forum Citizen

So that I'm clear - where does your thermostat wire run to? Is it point A? What sort of thermostat is it?

You should expect a gradient going downwards in temp the lower in the tank you are - you want/need the gradient. Phelsuma will shuttle in and out of the basking spot.

E.g. I've just checked one of my chameleon tanks and at the top it is 31C, at the bottom its 21C and the chameleon moves up and down all day - I have similar with my day gecko tanks.....

Final question - what wattage bulb are you using?
Old 13-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Egg

The thermostat probe is at point A and is a Microclimate Evo. I'm happy with a gradient but would rather it was 85/75 rather than 75/65.

I'm using the arcadia deep heat projector bulb which only comes as 50W. I appreciate these do work slightly differently to conventional heat bulbs but would still rather have a higher ambient temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Forum Citizen

Ah ok - right, when you set the temp on the Evo the yellow channel - is it constantly at 100%? If it is the bulb isn't big enough for the job I'm afraid - the temp % should drop as it gets near to full temp (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here! by the same virtue if you're new to Evo's let me know and I can send a video through of one of mine working and show u what should be happening as it gets close to full temp if you think it would help)

I would say you probably need at least a 100W possibly (although unlikely) a 150W bulb; although to be honest with the dimer stat it doesn't really matter what size.

Are you determined to keep the Arcadia bulb or are you happy to swap it out?

I would go with either a bog standard red or if the ambient generally doesn't drop below what it takes for the Evo to kick in I'd go for an Exo Terra swamp bulb - they're not cheap, but are the one thing that I've found tend not to blow - I've had one inside one of my chameleon setups for over 2 1/2 years now and its still going fine even with the rain system in there with him - it gets some moisture on it every day. The red bulbs were blowing every few days I found.....
Old 14-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Egg

Yeah the yellow feed was always at 100% except briefly at night because I had the night temperature at 75 degrees rather than 85. I'm not against swapping the bulb out but I would ideally need something that doesn't give out light because it will have to come on and off to maintain a night temperature of 75 (it's down at 65 with no heaters, although it is the coldest time of the year). The swamp bulbs looks like light as well?

Thanks for the help!
Old 14-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Forum Citizen

Yes - the swamp bulbs are light as well.

Go with a red bulb then - if you want I can send a link.

Reptiles can't see red light so whilst you will be able to see it they won't/can't. The dimmer stat can then do its thing and sort temps out during the day and at night etc. Almost all of my gecko tanks are on red bulbs for that reason; its a single bulb and I don't have to mess around with a daylight bulb and a night light bulb

Are you based in the UK?
Old 14-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Egg

Yeah in the UK. When you say the red bulbs were blowing do you actually mean exploding or just stopping working!?

Tags
day gecko heating