feedback/opinions - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 14-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Hatchling
Default feedback/opinions

i have been messing around with things to build. i am still looking into some hide ideas but i would need to investigate the tools more. i did however make this climbing frame and would like some opinions on it.
this plan is based around the idea of being timber, requiring no tools, no metals, able to be dismantled in the viv, making the most of the air space and being easily taken apart into sections which fit into a normal oven for sterilising. it is also possible to extend the length by additional sections. it could just be made longer but that would kill the idea of being oven sized. it is all local hardwoods, specifically Ash and Lilac. this type of framing is something i have been doing for years and the way it fits together means it cannot fall apart. it is also potentially something which can be scaled up using larger joints to suit heavier animals. it is the same construction i use when making rustic furniture for humans so its pretty durable.
a note on the photos, the initial build was using straight pieces but i then decided to use branches as it looked loads better. the layout is exactly the same, its just different pieces. the two flat pieces are there as i made a shelf with a log roll with the idea that its a place either for an extra hide or possibly a feeding shelf that is up away from the substrate. the feet can be shaped down for a lower profile, i just left them like this for now in case i need to make any changes. this is basically a first draft but something i am thinking of potentially making and selling.
Attached Thumbnails
feedback/opinions-gedc1012.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1019.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1020.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1026.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1028.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Postaholic Member
Default feedback/opinions

Well I absolutely love it ( and the idea ) !!

Virtually every snake ( a lot ) I’ve had over the years have loved climbing in the evenings ...

Royals who some call ‘pet rocks’ will spend ages exploring IF they had something to climb on !!

My preference if I was buying something would always be dark/darker wood but that’s just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Hatchling

thanks very much!

a darker timber is not impossible, but it is a little more problematic. many other timbers would be darker, ash is a very bright wood. the difficulty would come from the types of timber, there are a lot of darker things around but many come from fungal infections in the tree while its alive. some of the naturally dark timber like laburnum and yew (beautiful as they are) are highly toxic to most animals, whether that translates to reptiles i dont know. other dark timbers like brown walnut are very expensive.
i can take a look at natural stains that would give a colour without leaving anything bad for a reptile.
there are some more readily available coloured timbers but they tend to be softwoods and then you have the aromatic side to deal with.
it could be done with barked timber but its bark and sapwood which are the main things that attract bugs to a piece of timber. plus they are the fastest to rot and degrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

That looks really good, your snake should definitely use that

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 14-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Hatchling

well she had a good explore of it today but she also got moved into a bigger tank too. so she was exploring everything pretty thoroughly really. it should suit pretty well though as there were a few climbing bits for her in the tank she came with and this has more choices and more cover.
obviously the semi arboreal species will get the best from it in this style but it could be scaled up to suit chunkier branches that cover more space for the more arboreal species. plus the branches can be easily removed so every now and then it is possible to mix things up to give them new routes to find through it.
i do like the idea of a raised feeding platform but i dont know if its necessarily the best idea. i know snakes are keen on regurgitating but if it was too high up but i cant imagine its too great if the platform requires too much climbing back down. though there is the option to make and mount a raised enclosed hide, like a bird box. that way there can be an extra option for temperature regulation without making the floor really busy.
richardhind likes this.
Old 15-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Hatchling

i just read that last paragraph i wrote and realised it makes almost no sense.

i meant to say, i know snakes are not keen on regurgitating but if the platform requires climbing through a mass of branches to get back to a hide then its probably not ideal. it might not be a problem at all, but that is my main worry about a raised feeding platform.

another thing which would be very useful to me is an idea of price. so without the fake plants and log roll, how much would anyone expect to see something like this for sale for? how much would you think is stupid money and how much would you call it a bargain?

dont worry about offending me or anything, i much prefer straight honesty. i am not the sort to just ask for loads for the things i make, i always aim to make things for a price which normal folks would entertain. i am not a big fan of extortionate pricing. the amount of times people say to us "you could be charging 10 times that in london" about our furniture gets on my nerves to be honest. at this stage i always make a prototype and try to figure on a price then see if i can make it quicker/easier/cheaper, or if i cant do that then figure a way to make it better value. given how much just branches are i am not too sure where to start my thinking. i mean, i world where half a coconut husk costs more than the whole coconut itself its hard to see how people figure their prices.

Last edited by spigotbush; 15-07-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Old 17-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Hatchling

got another one for you guys, similar theory just more vertical. i would do this a little different in future, mainly using a sawn board rather than a log ring as it would be more stable. these are the same idea in that they pull apart easily to fit in a normal oven to make cleaning and sterilising easy. i can make them taller to suit vertical viv for arboreal lizards etc. again it could easily be made with bigger branches but the bigger the branches the heavier the base would need to be. for this size my snake can be right on the edge without fear of it tipping over. this was the best way i found to get the most branches in one area without being tall or the branches being too thin.
again opinions, criticisms and comments are very welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
feedback/opinions-gedc1034.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1036.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1041.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1039.jpg  

feedback/opinions-gedc1035.jpg  

Old 31-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Hatchling

got yet another thing on the go now. this is to provide both climbing and another hide to choose from but in a different way to the first try. so far she seems to love it, was straight in and around it the first day it went in and has happily explored it every time she has a roam.
i was just going to go for a raised house but i found a couple of issues with the original frame which made it awkward to live with. depending on the positioning it could be ok but i found it awkward to get to the hide with it in place. plus she just didnt seem all that keen to climb on it. this type though is neater in the substrate, and she definitely seems more inclined to climb up the branches when they are vertical. the hide also has a tenon going right through which she curls around and provides an anchor for when she climbs out, just for a bit of security.
it still follows the theme of no metal and all oven sized and can be broken down inside the enclosure.
i have also got a "tower block" on the bench to replace the makeshift hide on the cool side. it will basically be a 3 in 1 hide with a low floor filled with bedding, an entrance and clear hide in the middle and an exit in the top onto a roof which i will put fake plants around the sides. its still in progress though.
i have started making the trees for sale as that one worked well with a couple of tweaks. i really like the treehouse too but i will spend some time with it and see if any issues crop up in day to day life.
as usual, comments/criticisms are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
feedback/opinions-imag0053.jpg  

Tags
accessories , climbing frame , enrichment , natural , snake