Stacking vivs of different brands - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 19-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Egg
Default Stacking vivs of different brands

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 3 foot wooden Monkfield vivarium which I plan to set up on top of one of their cabinets when the next pay check comes in. Today, I inherited a ton of old equipment from my aunt, whose kids briefly flirted with keeping reptiles when they had a stowaway from Greece come back in their suitcase, as well as later deciding to keep a leopard gecko. Among the stuff she gave me was a 60x30x45 Komodo glass vivarium, which was presumably the leo's house.

Thing is, I have a somewhat limited space to fit these vivs into and what I want to know is, can the Monkfield, with cabinet, take the weight of the Komodo viv on top? It's only 10kg but I'm concerned because the Komodo is smaller and therefore all the weight is bearing down on the middle of the wooden viv below, rather than spreading the pressure over the strongest points of the wooden top. Does anyone have any experience with this? The last thing I want is to assume it'll be fine, only to find a few months down the road that the Monkfield is starting to bow under the weight. Not to mention potentially causing the cabinet to collapse, or the glass front to implode.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardBrain View Post
A couple of weeks ago I bought a 3 foot wooden Monkfield vivarium which I plan to set up on top of one of their cabinets when the next pay check comes in. Today, I inherited a ton of old equipment from my aunt, whose kids briefly flirted with keeping reptiles when they had a stowaway from Greece come back in their suitcase, as well as later deciding to keep a leopard gecko. Among the stuff she gave me was a 60x30x45 Komodo glass vivarium, which was presumably the leo's house.

Thing is, I have a somewhat limited space to fit these vivs into and what I want to know is, can the Monkfield, with cabinet, take the weight of the Komodo viv on top? It's only 10kg but I'm concerned because the Komodo is smaller and therefore all the weight is bearing down on the middle of the wooden viv below, rather than spreading the pressure over the strongest points of the wooden top. Does anyone have any experience with this? The last thing I want is to assume it'll be fine, only to find a few months down the road that the Monkfield is starting to bow under the weight. Not to mention potentially causing the cabinet to collapse, or the glass front to implode.

Thanks!

Iíve stacked vivs for years and years with zero issues at all as regards weight .. if youíre a worrier like me you can always jam a length of wood on the back wall of the lower viv ..in a central position..

The only issues you are likely to get is the heat transfer ... moving up ^

It means having the heat lamps/pads under the same end .

Ideally get one of these for about £8 off eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 20-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardBrain View Post

Thanks!
Just as Zincubus says it is fine to stack. Of course if you are running cables over the top you would have to lift the tank, but ensure you are spreading the load across as much of the tank as possible. If you aren't running cables on the top, you don't have to worry as much. I find on larger scale tanks they can bow over time anyway, and while it blocks the view a bit I place a support on the front side just to make sure the glass can always move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Egg

My major concern was with the fact that the Monkfield vivariums are designed to stack on each other unless the bottom one is on top of a cabinet stand. I wasn't sure if the cabinet would bear the extra weight. Originally, I was going to stack from the floor up without a cabinet, but I discovered once the bottom viv was set up that I don't have enough space between my bed and the front of the viv to comfortably get down on the floor and reach inside without contorting myself into weird shapes!

What really drives me nuts is IKEA have some great shelving (namely the IVAR and BROR range) that would be perfect for the job, except that the maximum width of a single shelf unit is 89cm and my wooden viv is 91cm wide

Thanks for the answers, guys. Oh, and I already have a laser temperature reader, Zincubus. They're really handy!
Zincubus likes this.

Tags
komodo , monkfield , stacking , vivarium