Reptile Forums banner

Building (and insulating) an enclosure to keep in the garage

741 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  elishacoombes9 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at buying my first reptile, I'm looking at snakes.. namely Western hognose but I'm not 100% decided.

My mother refuses to let a reptile enter her house so the next best thing is the garage attached to our house, it's has double glazed windows but the floors are concrete and the garage door doesn't keep in the heat very well..
So I'm looking at building an enclosure and insulating it.

It might not be entirely necessary but god forbid anything happens to the snake over the winter months.. I'd rather spend the money and be confident in knowing the snake is safe.. I don't want to take any chances.

Has anyone done anything similar?

I'm looking at buying a wooden enclosure with a glass sliding door and insulating the bottom, back, sides and top.. if it comes to it I'll buy an enclosure and put double glazed glass on the front..
I'm planning on using 'real' insulation, probably kingspan slabs with some foil for added insulation.

Off the bat, let me know if this is a bad idea.. I really don't want to do it if it's going to hurt the animal but at the same time I really want a snake and I'll do anything short of insulating the whole garage..

Note - I'm in Ireland, it's mild most of the year round but it's always on the colder side of things.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm well aware, that's not a worry for me..

I was bitten by a snake while on holidays in Turkey while on holidays, ended up in hospital with an incredibly swollen ankle, sick stomach and 16 hours worth of sleep behind me.

While I'm not 100% set on a Western Hognose, that's what I'm really considering

#4 ·
I was put off hognose after asking on here to be honest, going for a royal instead now. And I was set on one also, but after hearing stories and how grumpy they can be I wanted something I could get out more as have a 4 year old lol.
I’ve done my outhouse up for a reptile room, but I got the walls plastered, the electrics done, and the door is currently covered in polystyrene and that silver sheet stuff to keep in the heat until I get a new door. Floor is still concrete and seems ok for now, but also have a heater out there and a lot of vivariums so that might be why. But as long as you sort any drafts etc you should be fine :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.