natural habitats. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default natural habitats.

hi, ive noticed on the forum that alot of people like to try and make their reptiles vivariums as natural as possible, but not many people actually know what the real natural habitats of their pets are like, so i thought it would be a good idea to make a thread where people could post pics they have taken of reptiles found in the hobby in their natural habitats and photos of the landscape and maybe a description to help people to make their reptiles homes as natural as possible.

ill start of with some tokays in malaysia.

there was 5 tokays living in the wall together and this was in an area passed by tourists everyday. there were also tokays living in tree cracks and hiding behind roof trusses.i dont know what type of plant it is growing on the wall, but it was everywhere. there were also lots of ferns and wild ginger plants at the base of the wall. also there was a type of plant called localy "touch me not's" which close there leaves up when they are touched and these plants were like grass there.

i have a few more photos of the area, but they are on my dads computer so i will upload them later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Gold Star Member

interesting mate hope the thread continues.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Super Citizen
Smile

What a great idea!!! Saves going through all the habitat bit hoping someone has posted one up.

Im looking for pics of a bearded dragons natural habitat, if anyone has one please add it here!!

Old 07-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Postaholic Member

When i get my Gecko's (early next year hopefully) i would like to give them a natural enviroment (desert type as per wild). If anyone can post up either Corn snake or Royal python natural enviroments i would like to try to make their viv's as natural looking as possible too . Great thread, looking forward to seeing pics of natural enviroments.
pdav likes this.

Member 29559

Old 07-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarn~Totty View Post
What a great idea!!! Saves going through all the habitat bit hoping someone has posted one up.

Im looking for pics of a bearded dragons natural habitat, if anyone has one please add it here!!

"Your Bearded Dragon, Its Habitat and Water" by Rick Catt - Hades Dragons UK
Old 07-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 29
Send a message via MSN to HadesDragons

Nice idea for a thread!

This is a post I put up a while back with some photos of desert regions, along with the types of things we were seeing (or not seeing!)

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizar...vivariums.html

Generally, in the areas which were flat, open sand/dust, you wouldn't find anything living there. In the rockier areas you'd find a lot more - in this area in particular we found a couple of shed snake skins, several hatched gecko eggs, two different types of adult gecko (web footed and another, darker, larger one) and a few agamas. Interestingly the ground in this photo (where the snake skins, eggs, agamas and a couple of geckos were found) was so hard and compacted that we had to use a pickaxe to break it - a spade just wouldn't go through, and there was very little loose sandy material. We did also find both species of gecko on softer, dustier ground (1-2" dust layer over a hard base), but there were still abundant trees, bushes and rocks for shelter (you can see it in the background, flanking a dry riverbed). The agamas were almost exclusively confined to rocky areas with hard ground.

In general, it seemed that once we got out into sandier desert with fewer rocks, there was very little sign of reptile life (and insects were far fewer), at least on the surface. Out in the dunes we found nothing, suggesting that - in this area at least - the reptiles (and their food) tend to stick to rocky, hard-ground areas and avoid the softer areas of deep sand...
Old 14-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesDragons View Post
Nice idea for a thread!

This is a post I put up a while back with some photos of desert regions, along with the types of things we were seeing (or not seeing!)

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizar...vivariums.html

Generally, in the areas which were flat, open sand/dust, you wouldn't find anything living there. In the rockier areas you'd find a lot more - in this area in particular we found a couple of shed snake skins, several hatched gecko eggs, two different types of adult gecko (web footed and another, darker, larger one) and a few agamas. Interestingly the ground in this photo (where the snake skins, eggs, agamas and a couple of geckos were found) was so hard and compacted that we had to use a pickaxe to break it - a spade just wouldn't go through, and there was very little loose sandy material. We did also find both species of gecko on softer, dustier ground (1-2" dust layer over a hard base), but there were still abundant trees, bushes and rocks for shelter (you can see it in the background, flanking a dry riverbed). The agamas were almost exclusively confined to rocky areas with hard ground.

In general, it seemed that once we got out into sandier desert with fewer rocks, there was very little sign of reptile life (and insects were far fewer), at least on the surface. Out in the dunes we found nothing, suggesting that - in this area at least - the reptiles (and their food) tend to stick to rocky, hard-ground areas and avoid the softer areas of deep sand...
Hey Andy,

Did you ever recreate the cracked river bed?

I used a clay soil to line the bottom of my hognose viv, I let it dry out befor I added more with the grass, it cracked nicely

Jay
Old 14-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Forum Citizen

Interesting thread!
Here's a few photos of a Boomslang ( Dispholidus typus ) I saw in South Africa.
The snake was found at my parents house on the edge of the Magaliesberg nature reserve. The wall in the background is the outside wall of their kitchen.

Heres their house

The surounding area is classed as moist savanna and is heaven for birds and arboreal reptiles. Various fruit trees grow in the area like wild figs, jacket plum and amarulas. Also different species of acacia (like the one the snake was in), rhus and iron wood trees. The avarage annual rainfall is 700mm and the avarage max. temp. is 26 C in summer.

Old 14-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Postaholic Member

excellent pics and info mate !!!

*runs off to build a complete rainforest*

Old 14-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
excellent pics and info mate !!!

*runs off to build a complete rainforest*

You'll need a bigger shed .
Totallytortoise and KDale like this.