Beardie Check List - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Citizen
Default Beardie Check List

Okay so ive spent hours and hours trying to get a list together of all the stuff i need to accomodate a bearded dragon which i will be getting sometime in january/febuary. Could you guys let me know if theres anything wrong with my equipment list so far, any additions or alternatives are welcome! I want to make sure i have everything prepared correctly.

Bearded Dragon Habitat (havent decided)

Vivarium VX48 Oak and Cabinet £148 (+ £13 p&p)
Vivexotic LX48 Oak Vivarium £63 (+ £4.50 p&p)

Heating
Exo Terra Sun Glo Neodymium Daylight Basking £5.77
Exo Terra Glow Light Clamp and Reflector Lamp £20.00
Exo Terra Combometer Therm/Hygro £16.00
Habistat Heat Mat (17x11) 20w £15.94
Microclimate 600w Dimming Thermostat £33.49

Lighting
Exo Terra Repti Glo Fluorescent Bulbs £26.00
Aquarium/Reptile Light Control Starter Unit 40w £12.99 (+£6.00)

Substrate

Zoo Med Repti-Sand Substrate Multipack £22.00 (+ £5.99 p&p)

Feeding
Exo Terra Water Dish Medium £4.34
Exo Terra Feeding Dish Extra Large £9.38
Exo Terra Cricket Feeder Rock £6.25

Decoration

Exo Terra Barrel Cactus £11.20
Hobby Cactus Sierra Nevada £6.38
Triple 8 Sandblast Grapevine £16.94

Lucky Star Succulent Desert Plant £9.00
Lucky Reptile Earth Star Tillandsia Desert Plant £6.00

Darwin (1.0.0) orange x citrus bearded dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Forum Citizen

That list looks OK, just a few thoughts:

I personally wouldn't use that substrate - when I got my beardie, I spent £20 on a massive roll of vinyl flooring from B&Q that I cut into strips that fit the floor of the vivarium. These are easy to wipe clean and because I had so much of it easily swapped out, but on the minus side they don't absorb any faecal matter so it can be unhygenic if left for a long time. If you want to stick with sand then don't buy the reptile-branded stuff - you will just get ripped off. Buy the children's play sand from Argos, last I checked it was £2.50 for 15 kilos.

Clamp and reflector: I'm not sure if you really need these, I just used a standard reflector bulb and standard plastic bulb holder with mine. £20 also seems a bit steep, perhaps you could just get away with a ceramic holder?

Unless the room the beardie will be staying in gets unusually cold, I really wouldn't bother with a heat mat as beardies seem to need the night time temperature drop. If it does get cold then you will need a separate thermostat for the heat mat to keep it from cooking your dragon overnight.

Exo Terra Feeding Rock: in my experience these are completely useless. You don't need it anyway, beardies aren't usually fussy about where their next meal comes from...

Under decoration I don't see anything listed that can be used for basking. In the wild beardies love to climb up rocks, branches, etc. to get a better vantage point and for social reasons. I would get a java branch, piece of cork bark, a rock, etc. for the basking site.

Other than that, your list looks pretty comprehensive. Kudos to you for doing your research first!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzKilllington View Post
That list looks OK, just a few thoughts:

I personally wouldn't use that substrate - when I got my beardie, I spent £20 on a massive roll of vinyl flooring from B&Q that I cut into strips that fit the floor of the vivarium. These are easy to wipe clean and because I had so much of it easily swapped out, but on the minus side they don't absorb any faecal matter so it can be unhygenic if left for a long time. If you want to stick with sand then don't buy the reptile-branded stuff - you will just get ripped off. Buy the children's play sand from Argos, last I checked it was £2.50 for 15 kilos.

Clamp and reflector: I'm not sure if you really need these, I just used a standard reflector bulb and standard plastic bulb holder with mine. £20 also seems a bit steep, perhaps you could just get away with a ceramic holder?

Unless the room the beardie will be staying in gets unusually cold, I really wouldn't bother with a heat mat as beardies seem to need the night time temperature drop. If it does get cold then you will need a separate thermostat for the heat mat to keep it from cooking your dragon overnight.

Exo Terra Feeding Rock: in my experience these are completely useless. You don't need it anyway, beardies aren't usually fussy about where their next meal comes from...

Under decoration I don't see anything listed that can be used for basking. In the wild beardies love to climb up rocks, branches, etc. to get a better vantage point and for social reasons. I would get a java branch, piece of cork bark, a rock, etc. for the basking site.

Other than that, your list looks pretty comprehensive. Kudos to you for doing your research first!
Thank you so much for all the helpful tips. Ill definitely look into getting the child play sand from argos. Its been a bit difficult finding the right substrate as i know theres alot of controversy when it comes to substrate and impaction so im trying to find the right product. I dont want to inflict any harm on my new friend!

The light fixtures have been bugging me to hell. They seems to be ridiculously priced next to the price of the actual light bulb. This is whats baffeling me the most. If i bought a cheap ceramic bulb screwy thing, how would i attach that to the top of the viv? withs screws perhaps?

As for the feeding rock, that was purely because im quite uncomfortable with the thought of feeding live crickets to my beardie. I figures rather than dusting them i could just put them in, give it a shake and then be done with it lol.

As for basking area, the sandblast grapevine is a basking branch. Although i know my the name you may not automatically think that. I would love to find a lovely big bit of driftwood, almost like what they have in a chameleon viv but i cant seem to find any :-(

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it comin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Ultra Citizen

I have a ceramic bulb holder and it has a bit of metal with screw holes in, we screwed it to the roof of the viv. We also use a household spotight bulb, they are alot cheaper and do the job fine. You will need a rock for basking as they retain the heat better than wood. We use astro turf for the base of the viv, we got enough to do the viv twice and then when one is dirty, we take it out and wash it while the other one is in the viv.

For sale Syrian Hamsters.

Manners cost nothing and people love to get something/ anything free!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Super Citizen

Is it worth getting a heated basking rock?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Okay so ive spent hours and hours trying to get a list together of all the stuff i need to accomodate a bearded dragon which i will be getting sometime in january/febuary. Could you guys let me know if theres anything wrong with my equipment list so far, any additions or alternatives are welcome! I want to make sure i have everything prepared correctly.

Bearded Dragon Habitat (havent decided)

Vivarium VX48 Oak and Cabinet £148 (+ £13 p&p)

Heating
Exo Terra Sun Glo Neodymium Daylight Basking £5.77
Exo Terra Combometer Therm/Hygro £16.00 - you could go for the cheaper lucky reptile one that someone recommended
Microclimate 600w Dimming Thermostat £33.49

The heatlamp is reflective backed, making a clamp lamp and reflector totally useless, you only need a basic Batten fitting lamp holder from any hardware store to fit the heatlamp to the roof (Might need something more resistant for anything over 100W)
There is no need for nighttime heating, infact it is natural and better for these desert animals to have a proper nighttime drop. So no heatmat either!

Lighting
Exo Terra Repti Glo Fluorescent Bulbs £26.00 - I wouldn't even bother with the Reptiglo tubes, go for a Zoomed Reptisun 10% or Arcadia D3 12%
Aquarium/Reptile Light Control Starter Unit 40w £12.99 (+£6.00)

You will also need a reflector, this effectively doubles the UV irradiance of the tube you are using, you can buy arcadia or juwel ones.

Substrate
as suggested playsand from argos is just fine, aquarium sand would be fine too.

Feeding
Exo Terra Water Dish Medium £4.34 - swap this for the small one, the tiny square one is enough for a beardie.

Anything can function as a food bowl, it doesn't need to be an exo terra one, it could be a plastic plant pot saucer or large slate.
The idea of avoiding handling the crickets by using the feeding rock will fail miserably! It still needs to be cleaned out, you still have to get them into it in the first place.

Decoration

Exo Terra Barrel Cactus £11.20
Hobby Cactus Sierra Nevada £6.38
Triple 8 Sandblast Grapevine £16.94
Lucky Star Succulent Desert Plant £9.00
Lucky Reptile Earth Star Tillandsia Desert Plant £6.00

As above!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Is it worth getting a heated basking rock?
Definitely not!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Super Citizen

Thanks for all the pointers! Ive made some changes to the list.