Custom viv for Beardy. UV question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Super Regular
Default Custom viv for Beardy. UV question

Hey guys,

i built a custom viv for my Beardy almost a year ago now. After watching his behavior for several months i realise that he does not spend a great deal of time under the MH (it's a big viv, 5ft long x 2ft deep x 3ft high).

Anyway what i am thinking of doing is fitting some 10% UV tubes with reflectors to 3 other parts of the vivarium so no matter where he goes he is always exposed to some UV.

So my question is: Can you have too many UV tubes in a dragon's den? Can it be dangerous? I know in the wild they are exposed to a great deal of UV rays but i just wanna get experts opinions first.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

-Hewitt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt View Post
Hey guys,

i built a custom viv for my Beardy almost a year ago now. After watching his behavior for several months i realise that he does not spend a great deal of time under the MH (it's a big viv, 5ft long x 2ft deep x 3ft high).

Anyway what i am thinking of doing is fitting some 10% UV tubes with reflectors to 3 other parts of the vivarium so no matter where he goes he is always exposed to some UV.

So my question is: Can you have too many UV tubes in a dragon's den? Can it be dangerous? I know in the wild they are exposed to a great deal of UV rays but i just wanna get experts opinions first.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

-Hewitt.
Hi mate,

I wouldn't bother, though some uva (2%) tubes may be benificial

Check out the Cyclura exhibit at my local zoo, this is 10x bigger than your viv, but it only has 2 M.V.Bs;

Jay

Last edited by Pendragon; 09-06-2010 at 05:54 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Regular

Hey Pendragon (you used to be Jabba didn't you?)

Thanks for the response mate.

I've just been a bit paranoid as the M.H only covers the bottom left of the viv, which leaves around 3/4 of the viv untouched by UV. Will 2.0% really be enough? Why 2's and not 10's?

By the way that viv is big but i don't see the M.H's, are they tucked away somewhere? Mine is about 15-16 inches off the basking spot. Would it be more beneficial for me to move it to aim it down the viv to cover more area or am i just being silly now?

Anyway thanks for responding mate.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt View Post
Hey Pendragon (you used to be Jabba didn't you?)

Thanks for the response mate.

I've just been a bit paranoid as the M.H only covers the bottom left of the viv, which leaves around 3/4 of the viv untouched by UV. Will 2.0% really be enough? Why 2's and not 10's?

By the way that viv is big but i don't see the M.H's, are they tucked away somewhere? Mine is about 15-16 inches off the basking spot. Would it be more beneficial for me to move it to aim it down the viv to cover more area or am i just being silly now?

Anyway thanks for responding mate.

Cheers.
Yeah, that was me, (Jabba1967) but I had to drop that handle man, it was getting too hot, I mean, the forum fil.. Er mods were coming down heavy on me... It got to the point where I couldn't scratch my ars...

Christ I've got to take it easy, been watching too many films

Right where were we? The metal halide (Mega Ray 70watt?) will give all the uvb he needs, though I would drop it to 12", this is my metal halide at 10";

You're suposed to get 120uW/cm2 of uvb at 12"!! But I do know the output differs from bulb to bulb. But I would deff. Drop yours down a bit.

The 2% tubes don't give any uvb worth mentioning, but they do give uva, which is good, and better still, they give light at the same colour temp as natural sun light, so as you are already supplying plenty of uvb with the M.H. you don't need any more.

You can see the two M.V.Bs (Mega Ray zoo range), one on the left about 15" off the floor, the other is just sticking out from behind the centre upright, in the window. They are off in this pic, don't know why, I might have taken it when the zoo was closed and befor the main lights turned off. The Metal Halides (400watt Osram none uvb) is up in the top corner above the glass, you can see the reflection in the window in the back wall.

This is what they look like;

You can see the metal halides here (square lights), they give a very bright light and in the right colour temp (6300K), but no uvb. The small round ones are the Mega Ray M.V.Bs.

That's the beauty of the Mega Ray 70watt metal halide, it combines both these lights into one

By the way, this is the Cyclura basking;

So in short, keep it facing straight down, drop it to 12", and if you want more light, then just fit 2% tubes, but I would only fit the 2% tubes if the viv looks too dark in the cool end

Hope this helps

Jay
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Regular

Cool, thanks man.

I do actually have 2 t5 tubes in there which helps brighten the place up. But i do not have any light at the top so i may put in a 2% tube...I can get the tubes at wholesale so thats not a big issue.

I've also dropped my M.H down to 12" now aswell, we'll see if he likes that or not.

Thanks again Pendragon.

Tags
bearded dragon , custom vivarium , uvb