Gorillas Glue and expanding foam. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Super Citizen
Default Gorillas Glue and expanding foam.

Hey guys ive looked at alot of threads of people using this stuff and the results look great. The one thing is cant get my head round is how you actually use this technique. Are there any tutorials for it ? Or can anyone give me some advice?
cheers,
Ryan
1.0.0 Royal Python (nameless)

If You Ever Dream Of Beating Me, You Better Wake Up And Apologize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Premier Citizen

It's easy use the expanding foam to get desired look then when cured use black aquarium grade silicone and press dry Eco earth into it as it cures
Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to steven_law

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambridge15 View Post
It's easy use the expanding foam to get desired look then when cured use black aquarium grade silicone and press dry Eco earth into it as it cures
this is all good if you want a mud cliff sort of affect I saw you thread earlyer today be for I started mine, I would like to hear about different effects that can be created, what else could you stick to the silicone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_law View Post
this is all good if you want a mud cliff sort of affect I saw you thread earlyer today be for I started mine, I would like to hear about different effects that can be created, what else could you stick to the silicone??
anything tbh moss ,sand ,orchid bark ,treefern root ,rocks,twigs/sticks anything you can lodge into foam or is loose and dry
Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Super Citizen

So does the foam just stick to the glass? is it easy to get back off? and im guessing that just holds the wood and plants pots etc in?
cheers,
Ryan

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 AM

I cant comment on expanding foam but Gorilla Glue is easy.Think of it as a mixture between glue and expanding foam.You spread it on the glass with an old credit card then push damp eco earth into it and within about twenty minutes it is hard.
The disadvantages with Gorilla Glue is that it doesn`t expand as much as expandinding foam so it is more for covering the glass than building features on it and you have to watch it as it bubbles up and can come through the earth.But it is apparently waterproof so does not need sealing like expanding foam and is non toxic.
Personally I like the stuff,but its a devil to get out of the carpet or dogs coat !!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinm View Post
I cant comment on expanding foam but Gorilla Glue is easy.Think of it as a mixture between glue and expanding foam.You spread it on the glass with an old credit card then push damp eco earth into it and within about twenty minutes it is hard.
The disadvantages with Gorilla Glue is that it doesn`t expand as much as expandinding foam so it is more for covering the glass than building features on it and you have to watch it as it bubbles up and can come through the earth.But it is apparently waterproof so does not need sealing like expanding foam and is non toxic.
Personally I like the stuff,but its a devil to get out of the carpet or dogs coat !!
expanding foam doesnt need sealing either both are near enough the same just expanding foam expands more ...and yes it sticks to the glass it does come off glass easy but nothing else having tried both methods i must say expanding foam and silicone get my vote i hated gorilla glue because it expands you end up constantly going over and making things worse!!! admittedly i used gorilla glue over expanding foam
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Super Citizen

With gorilla glue can you still stick plant pots and stuff on ?
Also when sticking stuff to the expanding foam, i just cover it in silicon and lodge it in ? Bit scared about doing this on my brand new exo terra :P
cheers,
Ryan

Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
5 Star Member

Don't do it on the new tank then!

Get some thin hardboard, or some glass offcuts from a glazier and try it on there first. You'll kick yourself in the forehead if you ruin a new tank!

One thing to remember - if you're using silicone spread over expanding foam, make sure you press BONE DRY (or it just won't work) stuff in firmly, and then leave it for a day or two. Silicone takes quite a long time to cure, and you'll be forever brushing off a load of unstuck covering and trying again unless you leave it all for a long time.

"I have seen the bicycle clips of fire" - Terry Pratchett
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willz0r2010 View Post
Don't do it on the new tank then!

Get some thin hardboard, or some glass offcuts from a glazier and try it on there first. You'll kick yourself in the forehead if you ruin a new tank!

One thing to remember - if you're using silicone spread over expanding foam, make sure you press BONE DRY (or it just won't work) stuff in firmly, and then leave it for a day or two. Silicone takes quite a long time to cure, and you'll be forever brushing off a load of unstuck covering and trying again unless you leave it all for a long time.
Good advice.The advantage of Gorilla Glue is that you dont need things to be bone dry.It helps to cure the Gorilla Glue if the Eco earth is damp and in curing it expands.For ease just cover the glass with Gorilla Glue and push in the eco earth,it really is that simple.If you want some wood features orpots stuck to the side stick them on first and let them cure before putting on the background of Gorilla Glue and Eco earth.
Just dont rush it do one side at a time. As has already been said try some out on some old glass before you do your Exo Terra,then you will be confident.

Tags
gorilla glue