The Great Gecko Project! (Picture Heavy!) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 04-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Citizen
Talking The Great Gecko Project! (Picture Heavy!)

So, my vivarium arrived on Wednesday. I've been planning up my build for aaaaaaaages now and have been using some of the awesome builds on here for some major inspiration. It's going to take me a good few more weeks to get completely finished, but I thought I'd share what I've done so far for some thoughts and feedback.

Information:

What's the Vivarium for?: A Leopard Gecko

What's the theme?: Jungle Temple Ruins

Costs so far (rounded up to nearest £):

Vivarium: £37
Mahoosive Piece of Polystyrene Board: £7
Stanley Knife: £2
Wood Carving Tools: £2
2 x Plastic Tubs: £2
No-More Nails Type Glue: £4
Total So Far: £54

Stuff Salvaged From Around the House:

Wooden Kitchen Skewers
2 x Ceramic Rammikins (food and water bowls anyone?)

Step 1: Find a way to break into the package wrapped in nine BILLION layers of bubble wrap (Great packing by the way Surrey Pets) and dig out the box of bits you've been stashing. Tools are also good.

Step 2: Make sure the space where the vivarium is going is clear. Lets take a look!

Well at least one part of the room is tidy! We'll just ignore the rest of the room. Like that pile of stuff down in the corner there. Lets just pretend we didn't see that.

Step 3: Survey our successfully opened package with a moment of pride. Maybe take time to go and get a cuppa. But responsible people also made sure that all the parts were a. present and b. not broken. I did that, just about 10 minutes after I stopped bouncing over the fact the vivarium had actually arrived.

Step 4: Lets build that sucker! I'm probably the worst person in the universe when it comes to putting stuff together that's not Lego. For anyone whose never built a Viv-Exotic, they come with instructions! Really easy ones! But a very short while later we have something that looks almost viv-shaped!

And look! It almost matches the bookshelves! There's no lid attached at the moment so I can get in and out easily whilst I'm building as well as giving me oodles of light. That said, it's amazing just how sturdy it is!

Step 5: Star attacking polystyrene! Technically The step before is measuring it all out. But that's the boring part. We want the fun part! And the fun part involves attacking blocks of polystyrene with a stanley knife and wood carving tools. Lets see what we've got so far!

Ta-daa! Can you guess what it is yet? No? Well in case you can't, I shall tell you! *insert evil laughter*. What you're looking at is nothing other than a hide! Woo! But that's really just the very bottom piece of the build.

Step 6: Cover the entire room in polystyrene before stepping back and realising it might be time to call it a night after appraising the fruit of several hours worth of labour.

And this is how we're looking so far! I'll be doing some more work later on this afternoon, namely building the the moist hide box and getting some more platforms up. I'm not 100% sure about the top arch at the moment, but I suspect it'll look more awesome when there's more structure for it to correlate to.

One question I have had so far is about how thick the steps should be for a Leo. At the moment they're ranging from about 1cm to 2cm thick but don't know whether that would be too high.

Gecko Viv Build / Royal Viv Build/ New Leo Build

New Projects: Gecko Viv 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Forum Citizen

Looking good so far will keep an eye out for progress, I love these builds can't wait to start my own.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Forum Citizen

Looking forward to seeing more :P

Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to karategirl

this made me laugh a bit :p great work so far! wish i had the patience to do backgrouds.... can't wait to see the updates
Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Hatchling

Great start, and I admire your bravery in showing us your 'mess' (which the rest of try our damnedest to hide lol!)
Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Super Citizen

I'm hoping that the awesomeness of my build will detract from the messiness of my masses of stuff (I'm a bit of a packrat) :P

Gecko Viv Build / Royal Viv Build/ New Leo Build

New Projects: Gecko Viv 2.0
Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Forum Citizen

At least there was nothing that shouldn't have been in view lol
alexandrosham likes this.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Premier Member

i admire your mess full stop i wish my mess was as tidy as yours

good start with the build

Hook me up a new revolution, Coz this one is a lie.....
Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Elaphe

This has inspired me =]. I got a 3x 36" stack on the way which im gonna be sorting out for hours on end
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluso View Post
One question I have had so far is about how thick the steps should be for a Leo. At the moment they're ranging from about 1cm to 2cm thick but don't know whether that would be too high.
that height is fine.

looks like this is gonna be worth a watch

Tags
build , custom , gecko , habitat