Substrate for planted terrarium. - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Regular

Hey, thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. Although I was hoping for a " here's a link get a bag of that and add a bag of this" type answer! lol
Guess its not that simple and as you say seems to be a lot down to personal preference too.
I guess I got more reading to do! ABG or a varient of it seems to be the way to go. Just one thing though, how do the plants cope with the drop in nutrients after the initial growth spurt? Do they not suffer after being used to such a rich source of nutrient?
This is going to house my first lizard, a crested gecko, so I am going to keep it relatively simple.
As for lighting the exo terra came with the exo terra compact hood, wich I will be sticking with for now. One side will be for plant growth with one of the mini lynx bulbs I have seen recommended, the other side for UV. I am going to plant mainly on the one side with a more open side with maybe just a couple of shade tolerant plants.
However I am not planning on putting the gecko in it for a few months yet so have time rinsed how things go.
Would you recommend holding off with the clean up bugs untill the gecko is in there so they have a food source?
Thanks again
Paul.

Posted from Reptileforums.co.uk App for Android
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Ultra Citizen

Dartfrog.co.UK has everything you need except charcoal, which you can get organic charcoal from a petrol station forecourt or find it online.

ABG stay nutrient rich for a long time, it stays cycled in the viv.

People say seed the tank a month or do before you put in the inhabitants, so that they get established and also to let the tank settle as you will get the initial mould problem

Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Premier Citizen

Tbh I got my tree fern and a bag of fine orchid bark from swell and saved myself a fair chunk of money than dartfrog. Fiver on the tree fern alone. As for the charcoal, I can't find it anywhere online, any advice plasma?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Ultra Citizen

Seed the viv now, it'll give the isopod and springs longer to get established and adapt to the conditions in the viv. You should find charcoal for sale for BBQs, just make sure it hasn't got oil added

Dave

Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Ultra Citizen

To find organic charcoal there is a special bbq site.

You are totally correct about using swell and or surrey, but the op said he wanted a one site option. If you shop around you will save yourself.

Regards to charcoal, it has to be lumpwood without oil added. Funnily enough this is either the cheapest or the most expensive. I used Sainsburys basics charcoal in mine, as it is just plain bog standard charcoal.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma234
To find organic charcoal there is a special bbq site.

You are totally correct about using swell and or surrey, but the op said he wanted a one site option. If you shop around you will save yourself.

Regards to charcoal, it has to be lumpwood without oil added. Funnily enough this is either the cheapest or the most expensive. I used Sainsburys basics charcoal in mine, as it is just plain bog standard charcoal.
well ordered it all with a bit of shopping around to save a few ££. And as I work for Sainsburys I will get a discount on the charcoal, which is nice...
Thanks for all the help, just emailed Airplants, so just need to sort out pipe/sponge/turkey baster for drainage for weekend and I am good to go!
Thanks for all the help.
Paul.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 20

I just use an organic compost from any garden center, mixed with some broken twigs to aid drainage (instead of orchid bark). This is the mix ive used for the past 10 years or more now and never had a problem with plant growth or animals etc.

The ABG mix is really good for nutirant level, and if you want to go down that route its fine. But the easy options are there too.

Edit, swell and surrey pets are the cheapest place to buy stuff if you go down that route. They are ace for tree fern fibre. Also the tree fern substrate is really good too.

Jay
my_shed likes this.

Keeper of all things pygmy

Staffordshire Exotics Society
Last Sunday of the month
Come along if you are in the area
Next meetings 31st March and 28th April

Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Ultra Citizen

Ha what do you do for Sainsburys, I'm a baker at Alton branch.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma234
Ha what do you do for Sainsburys, I'm a baker at Alton branch.
shift and commercial at Lancaster.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Ultra Citizen

sweet.

I have yet to ask counters if they use large deli cups. so i can pinch a few from them rather than buy online

i have already got an empty doughnut fryer oil bucket to store some seeded substrate