RSPCA left a card at my house - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information

Old 07-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Super Regular

Not upset anyone or fallen out. A snake escaped once and a neighbour found it but they're still fine with me and we still get along as before, in fact he was fascinated by the snake.

One neighbour is a bit of a stirrer and shops people all the time for petty things like half an inch of tyre on the kerb. I've got my suspicions its this person as they usually speak to me, but when I pulled up in my car today they were on the doorstep and suddenly went in before I got out of the car.

C

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 08:56 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBeardie View Post
Came home to a card saying I needed to ring the RSPCA urgently. I rang and the operator just took my details and said I'd have a call back off the inspector.
She was unaware of why the inspector called but said I'd be updated soon when I receive the phone call.

Anyone had any experience like this before? Just a bit worried about what will happen to be honest.

What type of thing will the inspector look for, what info should or shouldn't I give them?

Any help appreciated

Chris

What I'd give them isn't printable, they have no powers, no authority, no respect, ignore them & give your meddlesome neighbour a a big fat wink.

More about Aimo www.nosmia.me.uk/

More about Fleams
Old 10-07-2016, 07:19 AM
Super Regular

Just a quick update. Still haven't heard off them. They have a number to contact me on and an email address but no messages or calls, guess it can't be that important.

C

supatips and msw0rld like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Just a quick update. Still haven't heard off them. They have a number to contact me on and an email address but no messages or calls, guess it can't be that important.

C

Probably realised it was some meddling neighbour or somthing and didn't waste anymore time.
Old 20-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Super Regular

Update: RSPCA turned up a few weeks ago. The guy was extremely interested in all my animals, especially the chameleon, bosc and salmon pink.
I passed with flying colours. Apparently they were alerted to me via the Police who saw a message on Facebook about it. The only place I may have posted on Facebook was on the RFUK page, and I sent some messenger messages to friends who were asking about him all the time!

Only issue was my axolotls were wedged in a 12" tank as I'd broken their 3 footer! All moved now and enjoying the new tank.

Chris

Old 21-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Ultra Citizen

I am glad everything went well for you Chris.

Just remember though that although it is a relief when they compliment you on the conditions in which you keep your animals, it isn't really a case of you passing or failing - the RSPCA is an animal welfare charity, and thus do not have the authority to grant you a pass or a fail.

Quote:
Update: RSPCA turned up a few weeks ago. The guy was extremely interested in all my animals, especially the chameleon, bosc and salmon pink.
I passed with flying colours. Apparently they were alerted to me via the Police who saw a message on Facebook about it. The only place I may have posted on Facebook was on the RFUK page, and I sent some messenger messages to friends who were asking about him all the time!

Only issue was my axolotls were wedged in a 12" tank as I'd broken their 3 footer! All moved now and enjoying the new tank.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Old 23-10-2016, 06:36 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

I suppose I will just leave this here for future reference.

DO the RSPCA have the right to demand to inspect my animals, question me or my family?

No; The RSPCA have no legal powers, or rights, over and above that of any other member of the general public. They are not animal welfare inspectors under the anial welfare act.

Can the RSPCA issue me with a formal"Improvement notice" under the new act?

No: Only an animal welfare inspector can legally issue an improvement notice.

The RSPCA call themselves the animal police, wear a police style uniform, have ranks(inspectator, Chief Inspector etc) & issue cautions does this mean they are law inforcement officers?

No: THe RSPCA is a charity,not a statutory law enforcement agency. It is a serious offence to impersonate a police officer.The caution used by the RSPCA is taken from the police and criminal evidence act(PACE) and can be used by anyone.

If I refuse to cooperate with the RSPCA can they arrest me?
NO: The RSPCA have no more powers of arrest than any other member of the general public.The caution used by the RSPCA starts with he phrase "You ar enot under arrest" which implies they have the power to arrest but this is not true.

Do I have the right to ask the RSPCA to leave my premises?

YES: The RSPCA must leave your premises at your request otherwise they commit the offence of trespass. The RSPCA have no more right o enter your property than any other member of the public.

Do the RSPCA have the right to seize animals?

NO: Only a police officer or anial welfare Inspector appointed by the local authority can seize animals - the RSPCA have no power to seize or confiscate anything.

Can a police officer or animal welfare inspector seize animals and give them to the RSPCA?

YES: A police officer or animal welfare inspector can seize animals under certain circumstances and they can place the animals in the temporaryof the RSPCA.Police or animal welfare inspectors seizing animals are legally responsible for them.

If the police or animal welfare inspector seizes my animals should they give me a receipt?

YES: If the police or animal welfare inspector seizes your animals you are entitled to demand a receipt from them.DO NOT SIGN any receipt offered by the RSPCA.

Do the RSPCA have the right to be on my premises if named on a warrant issued by a magistrate?

YES: If a warrant has been lawfully issued by a magistrate and it names the RSPCA then they have the right of entry.

What do I do if the RSPCA want to inspect my animals or ask me questions, or say they have received an anonymous complaint about my animals?

In light of recvent developments, and taking into consideration the RSPCA postion against many lawful activities concerning animals, our advice is DO NOT answer any questions verbally. Ask the RSPCA to put any questions in writing and inform them they will be answered as soon as possible.

For the record. If the RSPCA turn up at your door in future, and refuse to leave your property when requested, you are perfectly within your lawful rights to eject them off your property. If there is a police officer present, unless he is going to arrest you, and unless he has a warrent, he also has no business being on your property.

Know your rights. The RSPCA called

I have been in rescue for many years now and volunteer much of my free time at others, I see quite a fair amount of the RSPCA, most animals surrendered to our care from them have been willfully surrendered NOT seized. The media has a funny thing of portraying them as having more powers than they actually do. Worst case scenarios I have seen is animals took in from abandoned properties for what-ever reason or probably escaped pet snakes (corns are very common)

Unless it is very obvious (like a video posted on youtube or fb), the RSPCA have a hard time gathering evidence in the majority of true neglectful cases, it is crap when you consider that and a lot of people do get away with it. But, that is the law, and those are your rights.
The Police as most people know will not forcibly enter a property with a warrent without very good cause for concern, and there has to be some kind of evidence OR VERY GOOD reason to suspect something available for them to act, without it, they could just end up getting a bolloking themselves from the courts.

Last edited by Salazare Slytherin; 23-10-2016 at 06:45 AM..
Old 17-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazare Slytherin View Post
I suppose I will just leave this here for future reference.

DO the RSPCA have the right to demand to inspect my animals, question me or my family?

No; The RSPCA have no legal powers, or rights, over and above that of any other member of the general public. They are not animal welfare inspectors under the anial welfare act.

Can the RSPCA issue me with a formal"Improvement notice" under the new act?

No: Only an animal welfare inspector can legally issue an improvement notice.

The RSPCA call themselves the animal police, wear a police style uniform, have ranks(inspectator, Chief Inspector etc) & issue cautions does this mean they are law inforcement officers?

No: THe RSPCA is a charity,not a statutory law enforcement agency. It is a serious offence to impersonate a police officer.The caution used by the RSPCA is taken from the police and criminal evidence act(PACE) and can be used by anyone.

If I refuse to cooperate with the RSPCA can they arrest me?
NO: The RSPCA have no more powers of arrest than any other member of the general public.The caution used by the RSPCA starts with he phrase "You ar enot under arrest" which implies they have the power to arrest but this is not true.

Do I have the right to ask the RSPCA to leave my premises?

YES: The RSPCA must leave your premises at your request otherwise they commit the offence of trespass. The RSPCA have no more right o enter your property than any other member of the public.

Do the RSPCA have the right to seize animals?

NO: Only a police officer or anial welfare Inspector appointed by the local authority can seize animals - the RSPCA have no power to seize or confiscate anything.

Can a police officer or animal welfare inspector seize animals and give them to the RSPCA?

YES: A police officer or animal welfare inspector can seize animals under certain circumstances and they can place the animals in the temporaryof the RSPCA.Police or animal welfare inspectors seizing animals are legally responsible for them.

If the police or animal welfare inspector seizes my animals should they give me a receipt?

YES: If the police or animal welfare inspector seizes your animals you are entitled to demand a receipt from them.DO NOT SIGN any receipt offered by the RSPCA.

Do the RSPCA have the right to be on my premises if named on a warrant issued by a magistrate?

YES: If a warrant has been lawfully issued by a magistrate and it names the RSPCA then they have the right of entry.

What do I do if the RSPCA want to inspect my animals or ask me questions, or say they have received an anonymous complaint about my animals?

In light of recvent developments, and taking into consideration the RSPCA postion against many lawful activities concerning animals, our advice is DO NOT answer any questions verbally. Ask the RSPCA to put any questions in writing and inform them they will be answered as soon as possible.

For the record. If the RSPCA turn up at your door in future, and refuse to leave your property when requested, you are perfectly within your lawful rights to eject them off your property. If there is a police officer present, unless he is going to arrest you, and unless he has a warrent, he also has no business being on your property.

Know your rights. The RSPCA called

I have been in rescue for many years now and volunteer much of my free time at others, I see quite a fair amount of the RSPCA, most animals surrendered to our care from them have been willfully surrendered NOT seized. The media has a funny thing of portraying them as having more powers than they actually do. Worst case scenarios I have seen is animals took in from abandoned properties for what-ever reason or probably escaped pet snakes (corns are very common)

Unless it is very obvious (like a video posted on youtube or fb), the RSPCA have a hard time gathering evidence in the majority of true neglectful cases, it is crap when you consider that and a lot of people do get away with it. But, that is the law, and those are your rights.
The Police as most people know will not forcibly enter a property with a warrent without very good cause for concern, and there has to be some kind of evidence OR VERY GOOD reason to suspect something available for them to act, without it, they could just end up getting a bolloking themselves from the courts.
I realise this is a very old post but wanted to thank yo for this info. I was unaware of the lack of power the rspca have.
Fortunately I've never had dealings with them but it's good to know.

So the way this sounds you could.let.them in to see the animals a&e cared for properly and then ask them to leave if they aren't satisfied? Or would you just turn them away without allowing any access?
Good to be informed, as you mentioned reptiles are not their area of expertise so they are unlikely to know if there is an issue or not.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk