What constitutes a reptile rescue? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information

Old 28-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracoblade View Post
Yes I am aware and I have proof of this as I also have the financial matters all logged and submitted with my trustees and all the other jargon you need. Gov.co.uk have all my paper work. Fundraising is the fun part as well as having a business that runs along side it.
Why would the official Government website have your paperwork?
To register as a charity you apply to the Charities Commision, NOT via the government self help/information web site. I am also fairly sure that you cannot be running a business but also claim to be a charity. The two are polar opposites. A business exists to make profit, a charity is a non profit making organisation with all finances generated being used to run the organisation.
Sorry, but this just does not ring true. On another thread you claim that your rescue is registered, but there is no such thing!
Shellsfeathers&fur and Tarron like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Hatchling
Default Charity

Charity commission.gov.uk
I'm not stupid
And as for registering, I have registered and have a license. My property has been inspected, I'm not just a 3 bed semi taking in unwanted pets. As for my business the profit of it goes onto the animals. I don't do it because I need to. I am lucky enough to have the cash. I do it because of my love of animals.dont try and put me down. You don't know me and you don't know my circumstances.
Old 28-06-2017, 11:55 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Charity commission.gov.uk
I'm not stupid
And as for registering, I have registered and have a license. My property has been inspected, I'm not just a 3 bed semi taking in unwanted pets. As for my business the profit of it goes onto the animals. I don't do it because I need to. I am lucky enough to have the cash. I do it because of my love of animals.dont try and put me down. You don't know me and you don't know my circumstances.

You cannot be registered or licenced as a "rescue"!!!!!
There is no such thing, it does not exist.
I am not putting you down, I am pointing out a little thing called law. You are trying to make out you are a "rescue" and are registered and licenced. The problem you have is, there is no such licence or registration. It does not exist.
The only licence would be a Pet Shop Licence, or a Zoo Operators Licence. Now, as you say you take in waifs and strays, well, neither applies. There is NO SUCH THING AS A RESCUE LICENCE OR A RESCUE REGISTRATION.
Please, do enlighten us all as to just what "licence" and "registration" you have.

On a side note, you have said in the post I have quoted "I AM LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE THE CASH". Great! So why are you applying to be a charity, claiming that you get in excess of £5000 per year in donations??? If you have the cash then why are you taking donations?

Sorry, but this all sounds very very odd. Either you have the cash to pay for the husbandry of your animals or you dont. You cant ask for donations to fund your hobby.

A legitimate rescue takes in injured or unwanted animals, gets them back to health then rehomes them. Do you have a website for your rescue? If not, how can you rescue and rehome them. If you do not rehome then frankly you come across as a freebie hunter.

Harsh? Maybe, but it really is the reality.
Tarron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I am in the process of making my rescue into a charity. I have not once asked for money or anything to take in mistreated or unwanted reptiles.
I have never rehomed one either.
I have a Sumatran water monitor who bit his own tail off because his owner trapped him in the door to control him. I did have an adult green iguana who sadly was euthanised due to a tumour in his throat, who I nursed from a skeleton and knocking on deaths door. I recently took in a albino corn snake who was abandoned in an empty house for over 12 weeks. He is 5ft long but so skinny he looks like a shoe lace. I have a 7ft female salmon boa who is covered in scars. Where her previous owner used to stick cigarettes on her. How can I turn my back on these. When it's the uneducated and stupid humans doing it. Each one will live it's days out with me. I opened a shop to educate the public, I sell fun stuff to do with reptiles. And I share there stories. Not everyone is after a quick buck. I'd go without before they would.
You've not asked for money because your advert on a free site states you refuse to pay for any you take in. Plus you don't mind running an advert asking for free/cheep (sp) equipment!
Old 29-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Premier Citizen

Perhaps we are all being a bit harsh and not giving Draco the option to prove himself.

Do you have a website/facebook page setup to showcase the rescue, the work you do, how you help animals and rehome them etc?

I'm always interested in finding new, legitimate rescue and rehoming places. Our pet shop has regularly sponsored some legitimate places and run raffles and other fundraising events for them.

Thanks Draco

Tarron
Pete Q likes this.

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 29-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Hatchling
Default Animals

No you are right I haven't asked for money. And I don't. I do this because I choose to do it.
I have had my home checked and vetted and I hold a license for keeping dangerous animals which is updated and checked regularly.
The charity idea came from friends who wish to help with fundraising etc and it's actually them who is dealing with it. I have rescued animals from abroad and travelled 13 countries in 3 days driving through Europe.
I do my best to help. And actually haven't rehomed any of the animals I've rescued. I have a great relationship with the exotic vet near me and I even hold a qualification to administer verterinary medicines.
There's always people wanting to put others down but I've been through so much shit in life I brush it off now. I take positive critism but negative, life's to short to worry.
If I get turned down for charity status I don't care as I know I will carry on and keep trying to make a difference.
I have a solicitor who does all my paper work so I know I'm all in order. I always make sure I have the animals signed over to me.
The local council even use me. I once cleared a house of tarantulas.
I'm happy doing what I do. Although there's been plenty of sweat and tears it's very rewarding.
Old 29-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Super Citizen

Please, do enlighten us all as to just what "licence" and "registration" you have............

Even I'm curious now
Old 29-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Premier Member

he/she just clarified above.

here's someone trying to help the abused our hobby denys exists and ur all trying to demonize them for confusing the terms of what they do/are.

when did any of you take in an abused monitor or iguana or burm or make any difference in the rescue world????

rgds
ed
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 29-06-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Old 29-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Citizen

I did I took in a Bosc with burns on its back and oozing in blood I took it in spent a fortune treating it and getting back to health again on a proper diet I then handed it to a reptile shop which he now uses it as a display to show how big they get and how big an 8x4x4 really is. So people won't impulse buy we hope.
Old 29-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
he/she just clarified above.

here's someone trying to help the abused our hobby denys exists and ur all trying to demonize them for confusing the terms of what they do/are.

when did any of you take in an abused monitor or iguana or burm or make any difference in the rescue world????

rgds
ed
Nobody has been putting him down, and he hasnt clarified anything either. Across a couple of different threads he/she has stated that they run a rescue and are registered. WHat has been asked is what that is for as there is no such registration. I am struggling to see that that has been clarified.
The animals do not get rehomed, just taken in, which is great, but I am also struggling to see how that can be a viable rescue, as you would become flooded and innundated. AT some point you would need to rehome them. Or, to not take anything else in.
The issue of being a charity is also dubious, as it appears that he has not already taken in donations, and to register you need to show an annual level of donation of £5000. If you havent already been taking money from people how can you then register, as you cannot show that there has been donations of £5k. So, it does come across that this is someone who has taken in sick animals, and all credit for that, but now appears to want the public to pay for their ongoing care??
None of that is clarified either.

Tags
reptile rescue