Brexit, tax, Hamm, Houten, and Doncaster - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 29-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Central Scotland Reptiles's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Scotland
Posts: 1,907
Default

So you are advocating people breaking the law? The importation of animals without the correct documentation (although in the grand scheme of things may not seem important) amounts to smuggling and has ABSOLUTELY no place in our hobby.

The fact the UK has a dedicated Wildlife Crime Team tells me that they are infact interested. Certainly my experience of UK law enforcement agencies is that they are actually pretty effective and switched on given the limited resources they are working with.

Can you imagine the field day the Animal Rights Groups would have if people were knowingly smuggling animals into the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
I would be surprised if there is any change to the current little or nil interest shown by UK borderforce toward the passage of reptiles from over the channel in the UK. UK borderfoce total commitment of resources to drugs, beer, baccy, illegal immigrants is unlikely to be compromised to spend time on peoples purchases of pet reptiles.
__________________
Fraser Gilchrist
Save Our Sungazers Campaign
www.saveoursungazers.com www.smauggiganteus.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons

Last edited by Central Scotland Reptiles; 29-03-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 29-03-2017, 01:01 PM
colinm's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcap View Post
No doubt there are some high volume US breeders bringing over some high value morphs, but this is their business not a hobby ... are they doing a two-way shipment though? At least one of them has a UK or EU importer, so maybe they ship to their premises instead of direct to the show. Maybe they can factor in the extra time to ship their animals to the EU importer, then get themselves over to Europe for the show, then leave and arrange the shipment of any un-sold animals. Or perhaps the un-sold animals remain in the EU with the importer to be sold at the next show or elsewhere.

Their reptiles would also be coming in/out of Europe by courier.

Compare this to someone at hobby scale driving their own snakes in their own car in/out of Europe the evening before the show and then returning to the UK the night of the show. This person wouldn't have the luxury of time to ship their reptiles in advance. Nor would they have the time to apply for and receive the import/export paperwork to return that next day with an unknown number of snakes.
If you are buying in the EU then I assume that you will have to apply for the necessary paperwork beforehand (and pay). I don't see that as a particular problem. People will have to pre order their paperwork and animals. This will lead to less impulse buys.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 29-03-2017, 01:11 PM
colinm's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
I would be surprised if there is any change to the current little or nil interest shown by UK borderforce toward the passage of reptiles from over the channel in the UK. UK borderfoce total commitment of resources to drugs, beer, baccy, illegal immigrants is unlikely to be compromised to spend time on peoples purchases of pet reptiles.
Surely there will. That's the whole argument for pulling out of the EU. There will have to be some paperwork needed. I have always had more problems with the French customs than the British and I am sure their checks will be more stringent once we are out of the EU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 29-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 9,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
I would be surprised if there is any change to the current little or nil interest shown by UK borderforce toward the passage of reptiles from over the channel in the UK. UK borderfoce total commitment of resources to drugs, beer, baccy, illegal immigrants is unlikely to be compromised to spend time on peoples purchases of pet reptiles.
You are very wrong.
Once we leave the EU, we will no longer be part of a borderless interior. So for the purpose of CITES species, which includes every species of python and boa, the only way to import will be to comply with CITES.That includes export and import permits. This is already enforced rigorously with Ukbf having a dedicated CITES team. The apparent lack of interest in animals being brought to the UK from Europe is simply because if they are already in the EU, they can be moved country to country without any further regulation.
If anything, I am anticipating an increase in enforcement of this, especially when Hamm and Houten are on, certainly for a few years.
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Regular
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scotland Reptiles View Post
So you are advocating people breaking the law? The importation of animals without the correct documentation (although in the grand scheme of things may not seem important) amounts to smuggling and has ABSOLUTELY no place in our hobby.

The fact the UK has a dedicated Wildlife Crime Team tells me that they are infact interested. Certainly my experience of UK law enforcement agencies is that they are actually pretty effective and switched on given the limited resources they are working with.

Can you imagine the field day the Animal Rights Groups would have if people were knowingly smuggling animals into the UK?
"Keep calm and carry on" Nothing has actually changed at present. As to smuggling only bit off that I see is when herp trippers to Euro shows stop off at Adinkerke the UK's baccy capital and fill their bags with baccy to sell on once they get back home.

Can you imagine the field day the Animal Rights Groups would have if people were knowingly smuggling baccy into the Uk under cover of their animal pickups.
wagg likes this.
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: south wales
Posts: 1,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
"Keep calm and carry on" Nothing has actually changed at present. As to smuggling only bit off that I see is when herp trippers to Euro shows stop off at Adinkerke the UK's baccy capital and fill their bags with baccy to sell on once they get back home.

Can you imagine the field day the Animal Rights Groups would have if people were knowingly smuggling baccy into the Uk under cover of their animal pickups.

You know what i second this motion. really fed up of people scare mongoring and panicking. Everyone needs to chill out. And befor someone says anything i didnt vote.
__________________
Ello popet
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 9,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
"Keep calm and carry on" Nothing has actually changed at present. As to smuggling only bit off that I see is when herp trippers to Euro shows stop off at Adinkerke the UK's baccy capital and fill their bags with baccy to sell on once they get back home.

Can you imagine the field day the Animal Rights Groups would have if people were knowingly smuggling baccy into the Uk under cover of their animal pickups.
No, nothing has changed yet, you are right.
But as of March 29 2019, it will.
So those visiting Hamm, Houten, or any other EU show need to start looking at the process of getting CITES permits, and the costs involved.
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2017, 10:27 PM
huh
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 4,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagg View Post
You know what i second this motion. really fed up of people scare mongoring and panicking. Everyone needs to chill out. And befor someone says anything i didnt vote.
I'm not seeing anyone panic in this thread! Despite it being frequented by a troll (not you sir/madam).

Just curious to see what will happen to the in/out of reptiles for Hamm/Houten shows. This will also impact Doncaster. I've never been to any of these shows and have no real intention (might do a Donny one day, might do a Hamm/Houten before we finally get around to brexiting, but probably not). Since a lot of UK reptiles shop will source their snakes/lizards/other from Hamm/Houten it will also impact what is available to new reptile owners.

And the good news is that the flippers will hopefully stop ... those are the people who go to Hamm/Houten to pick up snakes and then sell them on privately in the UK - pretending that they are their own hatchlings. They will hopefully be discouraged financially by the future regime changes.

Not sure how relevant your decision not to vote is, but thanks for sharing.
wagg likes this.
__________________
Former snake keeper
Former breeder - Trinkets (C.helena) + Florida Kings (L.g.floridana) + Bamboos (O.p.coxi)
Now taking a break from the hobby
Will log in when notified of PMs (03-Jun-19)
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2017, 11:06 PM
colinm's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
No, nothing has changed yet, you are right.
But as of March 29 2019, it will.
So those visiting Hamm, Houten, or any other EU show need to start looking at the process of getting CITES permits, and the costs involved.
Yes both British and EU. I wonder what paperwork we will need for non CITES species ?
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2017, 11:16 PM
huh
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 4,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinm View Post
Yes both British and EU. I wonder what paperwork we will need for non CITES species ?
Perhaps it'll be paperwork with the queen's (or king's) head on it in the form of tax.
colinm and wagg like this.
__________________
Former snake keeper
Former breeder - Trinkets (C.helena) + Florida Kings (L.g.floridana) + Bamboos (O.p.coxi)
Now taking a break from the hobby
Will log in when notified of PMs (03-Jun-19)
Closed Thread

Tags
brexit , doncaster , hamm , houten

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)