Brexit, tax, Hamm, Houten, and Doncaster - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information

Old 31-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcap View Post
I'm not seeing anyone panic in this thread! Despite it being frequented by a troll (not you sir/madam).

Just curious to see what will happen to the in/out of reptiles for Hamm/Houten shows. This will also impact Doncaster. I've never been to any of these shows and have no real intention (might do a Donny one day, might do a Hamm/Houten before we finally get around to brexiting, but probably not). Since a lot of UK reptiles shop will source their snakes/lizards/other from Hamm/Houten it will also impact what is available to new reptile owners.

And the good news is that the flippers will hopefully stop ... those are the people who go to Hamm/Houten to pick up snakes and then sell them on privately in the UK - pretending that they are their own hatchlings. They will hopefully be discouraged financially by the future regime changes.

Not sure how relevant your decision not to vote is, but thanks for sharing.
No not just panic on this but every where. Just seem to hear everyone flapping about. It hasnt been done befor so no one truely knows. Well have to see whats in surprise for us lol

Some people are touchy about wa you voted. There was a customer in work and insaid i provz would of voted out and breifly explained why. He turned around and said i compleatly disagree with you and hasnt really spoken to me.properly since. I was like what. There we are. Really liked your comment about the tax tho. Made me laugh.

Old 31-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Regular

Quote:
Perhaps it'll be paperwork with the queen's (or king's) head on it in the form of tax.
Tax has to be the certain thing to change even if the UK incorporates a Europe wide cities management scheme. Not too sure what the tax take is on a Rolex or other valuable items brought back to the Uk from outside the EU but would imagine it will add a fair bit to a high value herp.
Old 31-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Ultra Citizen

Eh? The whole basis of this thread is about what could or may happen - so yes, I absolutely agree that nothing has changed at the moment. I was commenting specifically on your remarks about the law enforcement authorities not really caring about some animals being imported without the correct paperwork.

Apologies, I thought we were on a reptile forum - not a recreational drug one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
"Keep calm and carry on" Nothing has actually changed at present. As to smuggling only bit off that I see is when herp trippers to Euro shows stop off at Adinkerke the UK's baccy capital and fill their bags with baccy to sell on once they get back home.

Can you imagine the field day the Animal Rights Groups would have if people were knowingly smuggling baccy into the Uk under cover of their animal pickups.
colinm likes this.
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Ultra Citizen

Also, hypothetically speaking if Scotland were to remain / rejoin the EU I wouldn't have any problems in bringing animals back from the continent.

Supposing this were the case, hypothetically speaking I could have problems selling animals at Doncaster however!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Old 31-03-2017, 10:23 AM
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scotland Reptiles View Post
Also, hypothetically speaking if Scotland were to remain / rejoin the EU I wouldn't have any problems in bringing animals back from the continent.

Supposing this were the case, hypothetically speaking I could have problems selling animals at Doncaster however!!
Yep, and the England/Scotland border would be a tax border!
So anyone living in a border town couldn't pop over the border and bring back more than 2x bottles of wine!

Didn't N.Ireland & Eire say they were not going to make a border?

You might need some 'in transit' paperwork though for Scotland to/from Hamm/Houten to cover the time you are driving through in 'England'.

If that happens then I guess we would also need to stop using the term United Kingdom or re-define it as England/Wales/N.Ireland.
Will log in when notified of PMs (03-Jun-19)
Old 31-03-2017, 10:26 AM
huh

As someone said above - it might make Hamm/Houten more of an 'order in advance' place rather than one to go browse. I guess the UK pet shops have the contact details of the people they know with tables out there and probably already arrange some sales in advance.

(if anyone has the contact details of the large scale Czech colubrid breeder, then please PM them to me, I seem to have a lost my link to their website)
Will log in when notified of PMs (03-Jun-19)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Yep, and the England/Scotland border would be a tax border!
So anyone living in a border town couldn't pop over the border and bring back more than 2x bottles of wine!

Didn't N.Ireland & Eire say they were not going to make a border?

You might need some 'in transit' paperwork though for Scotland to/from Hamm/Houten to cover the time you are driving through in 'England'.

If that happens then I guess we would also need to stop using the term United Kingdom or re-define it as England/Wales/N.Ireland.
It would be very complicated! You need to obtain an import permit and re-export permit from Scotland into England and onwards to whichever EU country you are attending, and then an import permit to come back into England with a re-export permit to take them back to Scotland.
You may also need an import permit from the EU country and another import permit for Scotland.
Get just one permit wrong, or get the wrong type, and the entire consignment gets seized.
dcap likes this.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Regular

Thinking about this from a different angle I would imagine people with large breeding collections in the UK will be praying night and day for more obstacles to the import of animals from Euro shows. Every grey cloud has a silver lining.
ian14 likes this.
Closed Thread

Tags
brexit , doncaster , hamm , houten