Brexit - animal transport - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information

Old 24-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Super Regular
Default Brexit - animal transport

I am being asked frequently about how Brexit will affect bringing reptiles and amphibians to / from Europe to the UK.
The simple answer, like so much around the issue, is that nobody knows for certain how legislation will pan out.
There is a risk that, if the border with the EU becomes more 'hard', it may be much more difficult and expensive to move reptiles between the then separated areas. Paperwork may be required that isn't now.
No-one can say, as yet.

If that happens it may make many species harder to obtain in the UK and more expensive.
No-one knows.

There are only a couple of shows before Brexit comes into effect.
Why take the risk?
If you want something the best course of action is to transport it now.

www.interep.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Premier Member

CITES species will require export and import permits. So all purchases of pythons and boas for a start will need to be planned for as correct CITES permits will be needed. It is my understanding that this is likely to be rigorously enforced by UK Border Agency.
Old 27-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Hatchling

Is that something we know that is definitely going to happen? I feared something like this could be on the cards. The UK hobby is already dire when it comes to uncommon Boas and Pythons, I hope this won't impact these niches hard, but...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-2018, 11:27 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileryx View Post
Is that something we know that is definitely going to happen? I feared something like this could be on the cards. The UK hobby is already dire when it comes to uncommon Boas and Pythons, I hope this won't impact these niches hard, but...
Yes it will. The only reason that we don't have this currently is because we are in the EU and an agreement was made that due to free movement once a species enters an EU country no further permits are needed to move within the EU.
But in March 2019 we cease to be a member, but are still a CITES member. Therefore permits will be needed to import and export Appendix I and II species.
What's isn't clear is if we will revert to the pure form of CITES and use Appendices or stick to the EU CITES Annexes. There are a few very subtle differences between them.
Mr Madagascar likes this.
Old 30-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Hatchling

As I had feared. Hopefully it's still doable for those hobbyists with uncommon Boids and Varanids. The morph obsessed folk into their Balls and Boa will have it easier I'm sure.

Are you aware of or have any theories as to how Brexit would effect driving back from Hamm expos with non-CITES species?
Old 31-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileryx View Post
As I had feared. Hopefully it's still doable for those hobbyists with uncommon Boids and Varanids. The morph obsessed folk into their Balls and Boa will have it easier I'm sure.

Are you aware of or have any theories as to how Brexit would effect driving back from Hamm expos with non-CITES species?
The only restriction on international trade is CITES. Non CITES species will have the exact same import requirements as they do now.
Ironically it is the ball morph hobby that will be hardest hit, as they will need permits to import from EU shows.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Hatchling

Ball pythons are imported to the UK from the US and have a large industry behind them to make imports a regular occurrence. It'll make life harder for the breeders but it's the obscure species that don't have that widespread and commercialized presence that will suffer from this more, especially in the long term. This has been the way it is between the EU and US hobbies for decades. I was really hoping the UK hobby wouldn't be isolated like this too, but sounds like it will be.
Old 20-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Regular

Easiest solution to get something back to the Uk is to arrange for one of the many herpers from the republic of Ireland to bring it back for you. In the event of no deal I am sure they will make a few quid from being able to do this.
Old 21-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
Easiest solution to get something back to the Uk is to arrange for one of the many herpers from the republic of Ireland to bring it back for you. In the event of no deal I am sure they will make a few quid from being able to do this.
Just what the hobby needs - someone publically suggesting smuggling animals!!
And how would that work. You would still need an export and import permit to get them from Republic of Ireland into the UK. Any smuggled in this way will end up getting seized.
I can guarantee that there will be a big increase in scrutiny when it comes to this. UKBF are well aware of Hamm and Houten, and all the little tricks people try!
New legislation creates an offence of transporting species, not just buying and selling them.
It also allows for the Home Office to determine which ports are allowed to admit CITES species, which means there will be specially trained customs officers there to inspect all imports.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Just what the hobby needs - someone publically suggesting smuggling animals!!
And how would that work. You would still need an export and import permit to get them from Republic of Ireland into the UK. Any smuggled in this way will end up getting seized.
I can guarantee that there will be a big increase in scrutiny when it comes to this. UKBF are well aware of Hamm and Houten, and all the little tricks people try!
New legislation creates an offence of transporting species, not just buying and selling them.
It also allows for the Home Office to determine which ports are allowed to admit CITES species, which means there will be specially trained customs officers there to inspect all imports.
UKBF are struggling to keep illegal migrants swamping the UK without extra responsibilities for animal catching.

Tags
courier , leave , remain , transport