PETA filed a lawsuit ... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information

Old 06-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Postaholic Member
Default PETA filed a lawsuit ...

The animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals — PETA — filed a lawsuit against a San Luis Obispo-based company that sells products for pet reptiles, claiming the business encourages consumers to buy enclosures that could be harmful to snakes.

The national nonprofit organization, known for its aggressive activism, filed the lawsuit Sept. 24 in federal U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., against Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc., which has an office on Sacramento Drive and is described as a major global supplier of reptile products to retailers such as PetSmart, Amazon, and Walmart.

Specifically, the lawsuit alleges the company represents to consumers that snakes only require enclosures that are “no shorter than half the length of the snake” and that all of its enclosures, which PETA says are “small and inadequately enriched,” are not only appropriate but also ideal for pet snakes.

More at link...
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...246180400.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-10-2020, 01:00 PM
Ultra Citizen

Lets hope nothing comes of it other than PETA loosing a load of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
The animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals — PETA — filed a lawsuit against a San Luis Obispo-based company that sells products for pet reptiles, claiming the business encourages consumers to buy enclosures that could be harmful to snakes.

The national nonprofit organization, known for its aggressive activism, filed the lawsuit Sept. 24 in federal U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., against Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc., which has an office on Sacramento Drive and is described as a major global supplier of reptile products to retailers such as PetSmart, Amazon, and Walmart.

Specifically, the lawsuit alleges the company represents to consumers that snakes only require enclosures that are “no shorter than half the length of the snake” and that all of its enclosures, which PETA says are “small and inadequately enriched,” are not only appropriate but also ideal for pet snakes.

More at link...
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...246180400.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Old 06-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scotland Reptiles View Post
Lets hope nothing comes of it other than PETA loosing a load of money.
Googling PETAs last annual report suggest that their total assets are valued at $13m, with a revenue of $50m. The only info I could find for ZooMed was a revenue figure of $22m, so on the face of it ZooMed would have more to lose.

The problem I can see is that if a ruling is made in PETA's favor, it will then mean some ruling guideline will need to be set in statute as to the minimum size of enclosures that ZooMed would need to comply with, and thus could form a basis for every keeper globally...

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

Yeah, the ramifications should PETA win could be wide reaching and impact the hobby in many ways - some of which may not be apparent at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Googling PETAs last annual report suggest that their total assets are valued at $13m, with a revenue of $50m. The only info I could find for ZooMed was a revenue figure of $22m, so on the face of it ZooMed would have more to lose.

The problem I can see is that if a ruling is made in PETA's favor, it will then mean some ruling guideline will need to be set in statute as to the minimum size of enclosures that ZooMed would need to comply with, and thus could form a basis for every keeper globally...
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Old 07-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Super Regular

Given that is still lawful to own a snake in the USA, and that they need to be house securely, plus the fact they have a problem with many escaped invasive species I don't see Peta winning. Add to that that the final choice of size enclosure an owner buys is their decision and not Zoomeds.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:44 AM
Premier Member

From PETA's website

Quote:
Exaggerated advertising is one thing—but Zoo Med’s lies are much more sinister, as they cause animals to die slow, painful deaths.

PETA has filed a lawsuit against Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc.—a major global supplier of reptile products to PetSmart, Amazon, Walmart, and other retailers—over alleged violations of the District of Columbia’s Consumer Protection Procedures Act.

Zoo Med markets purportedly all-inclusive kits, which are attractive to first-time snake buyers, who commonly don’t realize—until it’s too late—that snakes confined to too-small, almost barren tanks deteriorate slowly and painfully.

As one expert has stated, “It is not uncommon to see a snake [who] has not eaten in months, has mites, is emaciated, is septic [from a bacterial infection], has pneumonia and is immunocompromised by a viral infection.”

According to one study, 75% of reptiles die within one year in a human home.

Reptile experts agree that snakes need at least enough space to stretch out completely. But Zoo Med tells its customers that snakes may be confined to cages “no shorter than half the length of the snake.”

These sensitive animals— some of whom grow to be 10 feet in length—require complex, enriching enclosures longer than their bodies in which they can bask, burrow, and explore. To thrive, snakes also need appropriate lighting, temperature, humidity, ventilation, and substrates. All these requirements are near impossible to provide in the 20-inch-long tanks that Zoo Med sells.

We want Zoo Med to stop lying about these animals’ complex needs.

PETA’s lawsuit alleges that Zoo Med lies to its customers, and because of those lies, snakes live and die in a state of suffering, unable to relieve their discomfort.

PETA is seeking an injunction to halt the company’s deceptive marketing and sales of inadequate snake enclosures, to inform all customers who have purchased Zoo Med’s snake terrariums that snakes require enclosures that are at least as long as their entire bodies, and to provide corrective advertising that informs the public of snakes’ true needs.

Humans may look different from snakes, but when it comes to the capacity for pain and the will to live, we’re all the same.

Just like humans, snakes have likes and dislikes that greatly affect their quality of life. Caretakers will attest that snakes have personalities. Some are curious explorers, while others are shy and secretive. Snakes deserve more out of life than an inadequate Zoo Med tank can give them.

Looking at ZooMeds start kits, they start with a 20" x 10" x 12", up to a 36" x 18" x 18". Granted you wouldn't want to house an adult royal in a 20" tank, but 36" x 18" x 18" is often quoted as the minimum for said snake...

I know we see stupid people posting stupid post on here, but I don't think anyone is that stupid to try and house a large boa in a 36" tank...

It does seem that PETA have targeted ZooMed, when there are a lot more pressing welfare issues happening in the world when it comes to reptiles...

Malc

Old 07-10-2020, 12:38 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
From PETA's website

Looking at ZooMeds start kits, they start with a 20" x 10" x 12", up to a 36" x 18" x 18". Granted you wouldn't want to house an adult royal in a 20" tank, but 36" x 18" x 18" is often quoted as the minimum for said snake...

I know we see stupid people posting stupid post on here, but I don't think anyone is that stupid to try and house a large boa in a 36" tank...

It does seem that PETA have targeted ZooMed, when there are a lot more pressing welfare issues happening in the world when it comes to reptiles...
Seems to be a lot they are claiming is nigh impossible to prove and not down to Zoomed. i.e. the reference to mites, or do they supply mite FOC with their new enclosures. Given that Zoomed is a manufacturer and there a middle people in the link to the retail buyer the ultimate responsibility for advice on purchase must include the retailer. Seems to be lots of holes for Zoomed to sink this lawsuit at the first hearing.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:51 PM
Premier Member

Oh yeah, PETA's case is full of holes... As you say they are manufacturers / wholesalers and have no direct connect to what animals are placed in their starter kits. They are not selling reptiles in with their kits, just the hardware, so where the mites and food issue come in I have no idea...

Malc

Old 08-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Super Regular

If it was so easy to sue the manufacturer I am sure the dependants of the many millions killed by guns in the USA would have done so by now.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:12 PM

You both may be missing the point. Whilst PETA may lose the action, they have generated plenty of publicity. Their long term aim is to stop people keeping reptiles and this will only further their cause.