Reptile Shows and the law: Part Two analaysis - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information

Old 25-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Reptile Shows and the law: Part Two analaysis

The following are a relatively complete guide to the suggestions laid down in this thread by those who have written here:

I will break it down further later today, time permitting;

REPTILE SHOWS AND THE LAW
THREAD DISCUSSION AND SUGGESTIONS

Write to local MP

Listings of all local councillors nationwide

Letter draft formats

Easy system for how to go about contacting and what to do once initial fob off letter been sent.

Chair of FBH to stand down and allow fresh blood the chance to lead
Who would be proposed to take over?

Why risk losing all battles that are a working process to change what merely needs updating?

Tabloid/media interest

Contact local newspapers nationwide for coverage via their nearest reptile group.

Send a standard FBH issue letter to all tabloid offices explaining the situation and asking for a slot.

Get celebrity keepers on board

Which celebrities keep exotics?

Would any consider standing against the likes of RSPCA etc to show support for the hobby?

Recruit more people into the FBh to show support in numbers

How to recruit more people?

What are people going to get for their membership fees?

Incentives for people to join

Canvas all reachable reptile keepers nationwide

How to find figures for numbers?

Best methods of reaching those who don’t access the net

Focus on destroying and attacking oppositions’ reports/publications etc

Best political person to deal with this?

Best angle to approach without downgrading the hobby

Establish liaison teams for various areas of work – public relations, council

contact, government/political contact, animal rights contacts

Who and how?

Commission FBH report of useful facts regarding issues

Could Chris put something together for both internet and non-internet use?

Attend shows throughout Europe to recruit new bodies into the fight
Where would the funding come from?

Who would be the best advocates for reptile keeping?

Influence the Codes of Practice that govern what can be done under the AWA

How?

Get local reptile clubs on board to make more people aware of goings on and recruit more affiliates to FBH

Find details for all non – affiliated FBH groups

What about the groups who don’t show willing?

Basic Pro-keeping FBH flyer for pet shops etc

How to draft flyer

Contact details of shops who are willing to help

Will livefoods suppliers get on board and send flyers out with their orders?

Better FBH communication for ALL affiliated groups and members

Get someone on board to deal with email newsletters etc

Details form FBh of all affiliated groups and members

Fundraising ideas to aid towards FBH

Fundraising team?

Sponsors? Large reptile supplier companies?

Section on FBH site for business users to download leaflets etc

Draft up flyers for business use etc

Getting traders involved more

Sponsors

Discounts for FBH members as an incentive?

Breakdown of political jargon for people who don’t understand?

Drafted report in easy to understand bulleted points?

Page on website of political abbreviations?

Encourage people to design their own posters to put up in pet shops pro FBH

Maybe run an incentives scheme again – most referrals to FBH gets a free years membership?

Links on as many internet forums etc for FBh site

Contact all known reptile and animal forums, reptile supplier joint forums etc and request permission for a FBh link to go on

More incentives for people to WANT to join the FBH

Membership card discount scheme with larger suppliers

Bi-monthly newsletter

Competitions quarterly for free membership deals?

Loyalty scheme for long term members – maybe reductions after first 2 years paid up membership?

FBH magazine – free to members and for sale in pet shops?

Could get traders involved taking a small percentage of sales

Free for paid up members

Get it on Amazon – bi-monthly issues?

Getting younger people involved

Contact local primary schools in every area and get some mini competitions running

Representatives visiting schools for talk etc and free stuff for pupils

Create sub-site aimed specifically at younger members

Organise yearly national events (smaller ones locally) for youngsters to come with parents and chat about reptiles – talks etc

More internet advertising for FBH

Recruit people to focus on advertising via the net

Getting website optimised for google searches etc

More regular updates for FBh members

Mass email sent monthly to let people know what is going on

Email notification of political changes that may effect hobby

Emails of when help is needed – FBH needs help

FBH tables at all major and local shows to increase awareness

Search for all shows and events that surround the hobby and get a table booked.

Local representatives to discuss benefits of joining the FBH

Flyers and info leaflets about FBh for prospective members?

FBH site page showing breakdown of what the membership cash does.

Random mailings, similar to RSPCA letters asking for donations?

Formatted page with a breakdown of the costs for the FBH

Amalgamate FBH, IHS and smaller groups into 1 large power group?

Pros and cons of this?

How to distribute duties etc within amalgamated groups?

Creating a positive direction for people to follow

Best way forward

Is the doomy attitude putting people off getting involved?

FBH site update showing contacts for various areas of play

Listed contacts to show political, public, membership issues etc

General enquiries page for those who are unsure

Several smaller meetings nationwide instead of 1 large conference?

Pros and cons of this?

Who would head each meeting?

Could Chris and Rory split the workload and maybe have 4 South meetings and 4 Northern meetings within a coupe of weeks?

Password forum area for FBH affiliates to use?

To prevent anti reading – charge subscription fee for unlimited access?

Car pooling system for conferences etc

Create list of those willing to car pool

Website with map for local rep group news

Postcode entry system to inform people of their nearest herp society/FBH affiliate/event

Generic letter to all affiliated groups/members "Statement of fact"

Listing issues that WILL effect us all and how people can help individually

Rory Matier PKL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

all of them were suggested?
how long have you worked with chris?

Last edited by jav07; 25-08-2007 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 25-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Volunteered

Hi,

I do not work alongside Chris Newman as such.

I officially volunteered my services and the facilities of the TSKA brand about two years ago as l was and still am passionate about the hobby's and the industry. I spend possibly ten hours a week on the political side of things, and as said it is not a case of receiving a payment, for that is not what it is about.

Despite a held belief that there is a huge political team working, this is not the case, and the teams are slim.

[I think if people thought that in reality there may only be 100 persons all told fighting the battle against the opposition, they might, just might understand why things are not actioned directly, or some things are not done. Also, as Chris himself would say, volunteers do place themselves into a potential line of opposition fire, and this is one of the reasons that he will not demand help nor assistance from others.

When working the political field, you do have the possibility that you could become a target. And this is something that not a lot of keepers, perhaps with family do not wish to place themselves into.]

We started advertising FOCAS very heavily on a few of the websites that are within the brand.

I try to keep abreast of the politics that is around and as a result of being helpful, get to know more of the politics - but this was achieved because of my interest in FOCAS and the introduction of the political websites within the TSKA brand itself.

I speak to Chris Newman, practically daily, and we help each other out on the odd occasion.

So it is not that l work with Chris, but assist and in so doing said that l would try and encourage keepers and fellow business members of the industry to see, highlight and display the problems we are facing within the actual market from the opposition.

I do so because l am a business within the industry and yes, like other business's would like to see a future with the industry and not lost due to apathy or opposition.

Two years ago this August, l adopted the website code of practice for what was then Piedipers Ark [website] and basically took everything from there.

I do not work on the FBH, for that is not what l was and am promoting, but l do freely advertise FOCAS.

All of the list were either suggested or hinted, and the researchers have added in some commentary of their own.

Hope this helps

Rory Matier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Ultra Citizen

Rory
If I might add three more items to your list.

1) Find funding for and put together a free quarterly magazine, high lighting the activities of groups like the RSPCA and Animal Aid and the work of groups like FBH, Focas etc along with links to web sites and information on joining/donating. This can be sent out to vet surgeries, grooming parlours and other places where general pet keepers find themselves waiting around.

2) Set up a working group specificaly to fight the activities of the AR groups. This must include working with legal experts to check on the legality of AR activities, making sure that every opotunity is taken to get bad press for the AR groups well publicised and pushing the Government to review all legislation relating to the activities of extremist groups.

Finally the real biggy
3) There needs to be a huge change in atitude of animal keepers about people being paid to protect their hobby.
Rory, in your post above you say
I spend possibly ten hours a week on the political side of things, and as said it is not a case of receiving a payment, for that is not what it is about.
Why shouldn't you and others who give up no end of spare time recieve some compensation for the work done. We are up against highly paid individuals who can happily dedicate all their working hours to destroying our hobbies. Until we begin to match this situation and find ways to fund our people so they can work full time on the job in hand we will remain the under dogs in this battle.

Gordon
Old 26-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via AIM to brittone05 Send a message via MSN to brittone05

I think it is surprising how many ideas there are but how little focused support there seems to be.

I agree, Rory, that many people would possibly worry about the implications of the oppostition if they were to become heavily involved in campaigning and that could be the possible reason a lot of petitions are signed anonymously - would I be correct is assuming that?

Cross posted Grodon - sorry
0.1.0 pewter royal

Coming soon 0.1.0 pat Ave 1.0.0 coral glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rum&coke View Post
I'd cover myself with razor blades and go hug people to death, I'm the caring sharing kind of maniac
Old 26-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittone05 View Post
I think it is surprising how many ideas there are but how little focused support there seems to be.

I agree, Rory, that many people would possibly worry about the implications of the oppostition if they were to become heavily involved in campaigning and that could be the possible reason a lot of petitions are signed anonymously - would I be correct is assuming that?

Cross posted Grodon - sorry
It's also the reason why people don't know the names of most of the people that are involved with the FBH and other groups. Several years ago some one suggested the FBH committee put together a news letter introducing themselves. Each member was asked to write their own contribution. We are still waiting for the first contribution to arrive.
In truth, if people are concerned about attacks from the Antis the best option is to work behind the scenes and stay nameless.

(I don't mind you cross posting Grodon just as long as you don't do it to me LOL)

nodroG
Old 26-08-2007, 01:25 AM

lol
Nodrog...grodon... lol
Old 26-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
In truth, if people are concerned about attacks from the Antis the best option is to work behind the scenes and stay nameless.
I sometimes find it quite surprising how open people are with their pictures, names, addresses and telephone numbers on forums like this one.
Old 26-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Tti

Gordon is right, the truth is that if interested parties and players do not wish to be highlighted in the politics, then yes, stay behind the scenes.

The opposition, AR, antis, ALF, which ever names you wish to allocate to them have some extremely fanatical supporters as well as extremists, of course they do have the commoner supporter, but at the end of the day they believe with all their passions that we should not be keeping animals. We believe we should.

But because of the deep rooted passion both sides have this will always make for a warring.

The biggest problem l have with 'those that oppose' is that they always have the attack, but not always the logic of the attack. They will throw a comment in, but don't know the answer, so when faced with the truth, the extremist would then throw the next best thing in - attack.

In order for us to been seen as responsible, we must not attack physically, but logically. Violence is not always the first answer. Politically speaking, it is the last defence.

But Ratboy is correct, it is at times quite surprising how many persons do become very open on forums!

I said yesterday in my long suggestive post that l would break it down into an understanding, l have also sent Chris a copy of the list so that he can view and make comments.

I have taken Natrix's comments on board also, as indeed the pm's l have received in the last 24 hours.

As l have said, l can not pass comment upon the FBH, but will show the list in a fashion that might arrange for direction and motivation to those genuinely interested in 'joining the battle'.

We have attained 101 signatures as of last night in the PKL so l will be setting up the research team and look at various issues raised.

Rory Matier
TSKA Pro Keepers Lobby
Old 26-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Letters to MP's

The first four of the list:

Write to local MP

Listings of all local councillors nationwide

Letter draft formats

Easy system for how to go about contacting and what to do once initial fob off letter been sent.

Writing to your MP. This may be of some assistance;
TSKA Legislation | Right Politics, Right Now

As to the listing of all local councillors nationwide, l will look into this and see what is available.

Letter Draft Formats; As for MP writing.

Follow up letter formats, l will also look into.

Rory Matier
TSKA PKL