What is the Federation of British Herpetologists (FBH)? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > FBH Affiliated Societies / Groups / Clubs > FBH Affiliated Societies > I.H.S

Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
FBH Liason
Default What is the Federation of British Herpetologists (FBH)?

Mission Statement

The “Mission Statement” of the FBH is quite simple. It exists to promote and support the responsible keeping of reptiles & amphibians by individuals in the UK. Our “Aims & Objectives” are equally simple:
· To represent the legitimate interests of UK reptile keepers at national level.
· To oppose unwelcome regulation/ legislation.
· To manage a national information base of key facts/ issues/ statistics relating to reptile & amphibian keeping.
· To create & maintain a strong positive image for private reptile keeping.

Our Goals & Objectives

Our goals & objectives are as follows;
  • Represent the legitimate interests of herpetologists and herpetoculture in the UK, including breeders, importers and keepers.
  • Promote all aspects of education in herpetology and herpetoculture, and will organise awareness days and events to further the cause of herpetology. The FBH will encourage individual members and affiliated organisations and others to do the same.
  • Create a Code of Practice for all its members. All members will be expected to abide by the Code of Practice.
  • Encourage and promote captive breeding programmes of all species, but particularly those endangered in the wild. It will encourage the sharing of information and animals aimed at the conservation of such species. It will promote and encourage the sharing of husbandry and breeding information for the benefit of all herpetologists.
  • Support and encourage the legitimate trade in wild caught reptiles and amphibians, from sustainable schemes and reliable sources.
  • Encourage the collecting of information for statistical purposes and use of statistics to support the keeping of reptiles & amphibians and for the benefit of reptile & amphibian welfare.
  • Defend rigorously any member or member of an affiliated organisation against injustice and the illegal seizure of animals by any body, individual or organisation (1).
  • Co-operate wherever possible with NGOs, government bodies and other groups and individuals to further the interests of reptile and amphibian keeping and trading.
  • Oppose ill-conceived regulations and legislation that may impact on the legitimate and responsible trading and private keeping of reptiles and amphibians.
(1) All cases to be fought will be considered by committee to assess suitability, any illegality by the member concerned may be a bar to funding, there shall be an appeal procedure, but the full committee have the final say on whether assistance is given.

Our Polices
  • The Federation and all members to fully abide by legislation and regulations, but to campaign strongly against restrictive changes.
  • The Federation reserves the right to withdraw membership from any persons bringing the Federation into disrepute.
Brief History of the FBH

The idea of an organization to promote & support the responsible keeping etc of reptiles & amphibians was first suggested in the early 1990’s following the activities of an animal rights group (the Reptile Protection Trust) who’s aims were clearly to disrupt the legitimate activities of others. At this time, however, there was little support for the idea.
Towards the end of the 1990’s views changed as the activists were proving much more troublesome, and following various meetings of individuals, clubs and the trade, the FBH was formed in 1997 with a small committee of just 3 people. Certain fund-raising activities were started and were moderately successful.
Apathy was still a major issue with reptile keepers in general, however, most believing that the situation would carry on without change. This view prevailed until Easter 2000 when action by an organization called the Captive Animal Protection Society caused the last minute cancellation of an International Herpetological Society’s reptile breeders meeting in Kent. CAPS managed to convince the local authority that the risks from catching salmonella were so great, the breeders meeting should be cancelled.
After that, many other reptile breeders meetings up & down the UK have suffered the same fate thanks to CAPS and another far more aggressive group, Animal Aid. Both of these organizations wereaided & abetted by a certain Clifford Warwick! For those who are not aware of Mr Warwick, he was/is the Animal Aid/ CAPS supposed expert. Unfortunately we cannot trace how he has got the qualifications to back his extremist claims! Needless to say, the cancellation of the Kent breeders meeting galvanized more people into action, and a meeting of representatives from the clubs, the trade & individuals met at a hotel near London to find a way forward. The FBH was re-born in May 2000!

Our past success

What have we done so far?
· We have repeatedly attacked the RSPCA for their one sided approach with the media & have successfully “hijacked” a radio interview which was intended to show that reptiles should not be kept in captivity. Many of their “anti reptile” publications have been publicly exposed as being totally inaccurate.
· We have assisted private keepers who have experienced unlawful seizures of animals from their homes.
· We managed to get a few reptile breeders meetings up and running in the early 2000’s despite the frantic activities of the animal rights groups in trying to prevent these events from taking place.
· We have devised in conjunction with interested parties, Codes of Conduct & Customer Charters.
· We have produced a set of rules for Private Breeders Meeting which are updated as and when required
· In 2009 we have again defeated the animal rights groups in their attempts to prevent FOUR perfectly legitimate & legal “Breeders Meeting” from taking place.

The Future

There is much more to do if we are to save our hobby and/ or livelihood. We fully accept the need for proper legislation that seeks to protect the well being of reptiles & amphibians. Any changes, however, must be carefully thought through before Government imposes them upon ordinary individuals. The current “lottery” when it comes to local authorities issuing (or not) Pet Shop & Dangerous Wild Animals Act licences must come to an end. Equally inspecting authorities, whoever they may be, must have proper experience/ qualifications to do the job in hand. The activities on the very vocal animal rights groups need to be curtailed & these people exposed for what they are. We need to ensure that the average reptile or amphibian keeper is fully aware of the threats to their hobby, and enlist their support. It is critically important to be able to raise sufficient funds to enable our work to continue. Complacency is no longer an option, witness the new attacks on Breeders Meetings this year. We also need to work more closely with similar groups in mainland Europe & elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Ultra Citizen
Location: Fullers.... 'cos I'm definately not on this earth!!
Reviews: 4

Hello Kevin,

Good to see you have managed to bring this idea to fruition Hope people understand and take it for what it is, an aid to communication and information specifically around what we can do as herpers about the future of our hobby. About organising ourselves not as seperate groups who may sometimes pull against each other, but as rtried and tested associations and groups who are adult enough to come together to not only protect our hobby, but successfully structure, manage and self police it, to ensure the welfare and conservation of the species we love so much.

Look forward to seeing you Saturday at the West Midlands Branch Symposium to discuss how we can do more to join with others to work collectively against not only the anti's, but also the idiots..... Hmmmm.... bit of an idiot myself.... could shoot myself in the foot here! ...

There's a fine line between a hobby and mental illness... I think I just crossed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McToons View Post
Yes it's true I read about this myself along with the picture it displayed...

It's being called the Giganticus bullicrapius.
Old 17-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

Hello Kevin
l have known you for many years and l now see that your working as a (FBH Liason)? is this voluntarily or are you paid for this ?
Do you not think that as you describe yourself as
Coast to Coast Exotics Reptile One | Exo-terra | Zoo-med | T-rex | Eurorep
Legendary reptile breeder and shop
Zoo Logic UK Ltd - Importer/exporter/wholesaler.
Zoo Logic - Importer, exporter, breeder & supplier to the trade, pet shops & zoos
Reptile One - Advisor and Consultant ttp://www.aquaone.co.uk/
do you not think that this is a conflict of interest? l ask these questions not to course trouble,but do you not think that with your background having this position will undermine the FBH ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2012, 06:44 PM
FBH Liason

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenrudge View Post
Hello Kevin
l have known you for many years and l now see that your working as a (FBH Liason)? is this voluntarily or are you paid for this ?
Zoo Logic - Importer, exporter, breeder & supplier to the trade, pet shops & zoos
do you not think that this is a conflict of interest? l ask these questions not to course trouble,but do you not think that with your background having this position will undermine the FBH ?
Hi Steven

No I'm not paid for helping out with the FBH!

I have known Chris for many years, and have helped, in the background on numerous occasions. With what happened at Doncaster I felt that it was time for me to try and "do my bit" and offered my services back to IHS committee - they agreed that I had some quite unique qualities to bring to the Society and hence why I was co-opted back.

After several conversations with Chris and the admin at RFUK it was decided by all that a section on RFUK would be beneficial - mainly to address criticism about lack of communication, but also to try to unify the ranks as much as possible. I was also more than happy to help with this too - hence the title I have been given by RFUK of FBH Liason. As the title suggests I will attempt to liase with forum users and matters arising to the FBH.

I hope that clarifies my involvement, and I certainly hope that my obvious involvement in the trade doesnt undermine anything the FBH do - Im not sure why it should?

Kevin
Old 18-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Hello Kevin
Steven

The FBH itself was set up to support the hobby but it's sister organisation the Reptile and Exotic Pet Trade Association (REPTA) was later set up to support the trade sector. For many years now the two have worked side by side and REPTA members have supported the work of the FBH with both funds and assistance.

While what Kevin is doing puts him in a very visable position, he is just one of the many proffesional people that are helping the FBH in the background and non of this has undermined the FBH as yet. In fact it has strengthened the FBH as it enables us to put on events like the Kempton Park show and the FBH Doncaster Conference.

Gordon Glasson
FBH VC
Janine00 likes this.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
Steven

The FBH itself was set up to support the hobby but it's sister organisation the Reptile and Exotic Pet Trade Association (REPTA) was later set up to support the trade sector. For many years now the two have worked side by side and REPTA members have supported the work of the FBH with both funds and assistance.

While what Kevin is doing puts him in a very visable position, he is just one of the many proffesional people that are helping the FBH in the background and non of this has undermined the FBH as yet. In fact it has strengthened the FBH as it enables us to put on events like the Kempton Park show and the FBH Doncaster Conference.

Gordon Glasson
FBH VC
Hello Gordon
Thanks for your and Kevins reply,
Whilst l personally agree with what you say about Kevin background adding value to both the FBH and REPTA,from an neutral outsiders view this could put someone like Kevin integrity and the FBH in doubt,my main point is that it looks like Kevins doing this to look after his business interests,he has a vested interest,a financial one at that with his pet businesses,like l say l know Kevin and l know that this is not true,but don't you thinks that Kevin and the FBH are leaving themselves open to such an accusation?l can totally understand Kevins involvement but l think its such a visual one it could course more harm than good.
This is not just about Kevin,l've seen on another post that the IHS have posted openly their comity members is this something the FBH would also consider.
again thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply
Steven
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM
FBH Liason

Well, Stephen, I think the only way this can be dealt with is to tackle any resulting issues as and when they may arise. As it stands there has been only one active vocal voice on the matter, and that has been your own. Considering that some of your recent posts on forums have been at best negative towards the FBH (in particular) and at worst destructive, it's difficult for many readers to sympathise with you.

The IHS decided to have me back onto committee to give an insight into the trade aspect of the hobby. I'm afraid that it's impossible to gain that insight without having someone like myself - a person that took the plunge (many years ago) to move from hobbyist to businessman. It would be completely at odds to the role I'm hoping to fulfill for the IHS if I did not have the necessary experience. My resulting more high profile work for the FBH came about after criticism that the IHS and FBH were not communicative enough - I hatched the plan to work closer with the forums, in particular RFUK. I think the results are already worthwhile.

You mention you have known me for many years? I know I'm slightly senile nowadays, but could you jog my memory please?
hogboy likes this.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-max View Post
Well, Stephen, I think the only way this can be dealt with is to tackle any resulting issues as and when they may arise. As it stands there has been only one active vocal voice on the matter, and that has been your own. Considering that some of your recent posts on forums have been at best negative towards the FBH (in particular) and at worst , it's difficult for many readers to sympathise with you.

The IHS decided to have me back onto committee to give an insight into the trade aspect of the hobby. I'm afraid that it's impossible to gain that insight without having someone like myself - a person that took the plunge (many years ago) to move from hobbyist to businessman. It would be completely at odds to the role I'm hoping to fulfill for the IHS if I did not have the necessary experience. My resulting more high profile work for the FBH came about after criticism that the IHS and FBH were not communicative enough - I hatched the plan to work closer with the forums, in particular RFUK. I think the results are already worthwhile.

You mention you have known me for many years? I know I'm slightly senile nowadays, but could you jog my memory please?
Thanks for your reply Kevin.
l new you way back before you became a business man,when you were a hobbyist with your involvement with the IHS,its ok if you do not remember me it was a long time ago
Although l have and do have criticisms of the FBH,l take offence that you find it destructive Quote,l also find if offensive that the FBH and supporters cannot take any criticisms with out reverting to an obsolete argument that some how any debate damages our hobby,you act like the FBH are above any reproach,it also shows that you and others have not understood what my post or questions are really about,far from damaging the hobby its shows that their is plenty of hobbyist that really care about it and are prepared to fight for it,look back at my post and come back to me and tell me that l do not have a valid point.
Steven
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 PM
FBH Liason

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Kevin.
l new you way back before you became a business man,when you were a hobbyist with your involvement with the IHS,its ok if you do not remember me it was a long time ago
Although l have and do have criticisms of the FBH,l take offence that you find it destructive Quote,l also find if offensive that the FBH and supporters cannot take any criticisms with out reverting to an obsolete argument that some how any debate damages our hobby,you act like the FBH are above any reproach,it also shows that you and others have not understood what my post or questions are really about,far from damaging the hobby its shows that their is plenty of hobbyist that really care about it and are prepared to fight for it,look back at my post and come back to me and tell me that l do not have a valid point.
Steven
It's embarrassing that I don't remember you, I'm really sorry! What were you keeping? How did we meet? Who introduced you? Joking apart, I worry about my memory at times!

I think there are some fundamental differences of opinion in your general views of the hobby (and the FBH in particular) between yourself and many (if not all) involved in protecting our rights to keep exotic animals. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but there are many people who are very focussed at the moment - one or two verging on (or beyond!) OCD! I'm sorry to say this, Stephen, but those people cannot be blamed for being less than sympathetic to your views - they are busy to the extreme and one of the only things they ask of the average exotic animal keeper is a little public understanding and support. Being so publicly vocal seems at odds to the ideal of public solidarity, I hope that makes sense. I for one encourage us all to "stick together", we certainly don't need public bickering.

I almost feel patronising, I'm sorry if it comes across that way - and I sincerely wish I could put a picture to your face!

Tags
apa , british , chris newman , doncaster , fbh , federation , herpetologists , ihs