What does joining do? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > FBH Affiliated Societies / Groups / Clubs > FBH Affiliated Societies > I.H.S

Old 16-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Premier Citizen
Default What does joining do?

I've only found out about this place recently and been looking at joining, could I get some info on what I'd exactly get with joining? Also heard you run the Doncaster reptile show is this right? I've never been to one yet but plan to try to come this year if the dates match up to my free days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2013, 11:39 AM
FBH Liason

The International Herpetological Society has been running since the 1960's and has a long history of being in existance to serve the reptile hobbyist. The Society has a proud record of having some of the leading reptile and amphibian keepers within its organisational ranks - names such as Jon Coote, Dave Blatchford, John Foden, Kevin Hingley and many others to name but a few of the highly respected authorities within our hobby.

Yes, indeed you are quite correct, we run and hold the Doncaster shows each year. Its about to become a major benefit to join the Society when visiting the shows - more details to be announced, but trust me joining and becoming a full member will greatly benefit you in this respect.

The Society also provides a monthly newsletter (with plans for further improvements in the future) and a quarterly Journal called The Herptile. The Herptile has a history spanning back many years that has not only published some very important papers on various topics, but also has less indepth articles and information that will be useful to all members. I myself was once Editor of The Herptile.

Furthermore, there are several branches of the Society in various geographical regions within the UK, so you can meet up with like minded keepers - chat, quizes and lectures / talks are all provided. Usually a great night out - and dont forget that many of the branches organise things like reptile breeders meetings, shows and outings.

The Society also has a major role in fighting and protecting our hobby and industry and works tightly alongside The Federation of British Herpetologists (FBH). This can be in the form of lobbying UK and European government, self policing and generally making sure that our right to keep reptiles and amphibians is protected into the future. By joining you are supporting our cause.

All in all, its a bargain and provides something over and above what can be found here on the internet - theres nothing quite like being part of the "scene"!

Kevin Stevens
Janine00 likes this.
Old 16-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Premier Citizen

Thanks, great answer. Will most likely be joining on pay day then
Janine00 likes this.